PDA

View Full Version : This upset me- Woodshop News marketing campaign

Malcolm Schweizer
06-05-2015, 9:43 AM
I got this in the mail. It appears official and says it is a "professional audit." I have been through an audit, and the word does not bring happy thoughts to mind. Although I figured it was some junk mail, I said a little prayer as I opened it. It turned out to be a marketing campaign to try to get me to sign up for Woodshop News. Fail!

The sad thing is, If they had just been up front and said "Subscribe to Woodshop News," I might have been so inclined. A magazine for professional woodshops would be cool, but not if they resort to spammy marketing campaigns.

My opinion is that a good marketing campaign doesn't start with scaring the person and end with making them angry. I have never seen the publication. They may be the best magazine ever, but sadly I will never get to find out.

Kent A Bathurst
06-05-2015, 9:48 AM
Its' been many years, but I recall that if a direct marketing campaign can get you to open the envelope, by any means necessary, the odds of boating the fish goes up tremendously. It rises from infinitesimal to barely measurable, but that tiny bump makes a big difference, on the scale of their operations.

The methodology used on you seems too sleazy for my taste, though. I'm with you - they would have blown any and every chance for now well pat the horizon as far as I am concerned.........

Matt Meiser
06-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Call their offices and ask for the editor, telling the receptionist you are calling from the local ER with some bad news you can only discuss with him.

David Ragan
06-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Yes, Audit is one of those drama words in our society that everyone is aware of.

They must be desparate @ the magazine.

Call and tell them that if they are so desparate, send you 6 months free to see if you like it. More flies with honey, right?

Steve Baumgartner
06-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Woodshop News is largely an advertising rag targeted to professionals and businesses, with some informative content as well. It is free, relying on advertising and marketing for its revenue. The so-called "audit" is how they gather the info to convince advertisers and marketers that they are reaching the target audience. If that practice is objectionable or seems slimy to you, stay away from them.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Call their offices and ask for the editor, telling the receptionist you are calling from the local ER with some bad news you can only discuss with him.

Matt for the win.

Brian Tymchak
06-05-2015, 12:44 PM
... It is free...

No, it's not, at least not for non-business subscribers. I just ended my paid subscription for it. I wasn't getting enough value out of it.

Art Mann
06-05-2015, 2:00 PM
My rule about handling unidentified letters is this. I look at the area where the postage goes and if it doesn't say first class, it is instant trash. If it is first class, I look at the return address and if I don't know or can't identify the sender, then it usually goes in the trash as well. I do open credit card offers and shred the pre-printed part that has my name on it. I don't want anyone to send off for a credit card in my name.

Kent A Bathurst
06-05-2015, 3:04 PM
If it is something that comes with a pre-paid return envelope, I have been known to grab some miscellaneous trash, stuff the envelope full, and return it to them...........

Alan Morris
06-05-2015, 3:19 PM
I understand you, Malcolm! It must be a "good surprise" for you... What a strange marketing campaign! They always try to find unusual ways to achieve their goals. So what did you decide to do?

Kent A Bathurst
06-05-2015, 3:32 PM
So what did you decide to do?

Do? DO???? Malcolm lives south of margaritaville........his response is fairly predictable, I should think....... :p :p

Nike Nihiser
06-05-2015, 3:38 PM
I totally agree.

Brian Henderson
06-05-2015, 5:06 PM
If it is something that comes with a pre-paid return envelope, I have been known to grab some miscellaneous trash, stuff the envelope full, and return it to them...........

I always do that. Every single credit card solicitation I get goes into the mail with junk stuffed into it. They don't have to pay postage until the postage is actually used. If they're going to waste my time having to shred their offers, I'm going to waste their money sending them garbage.

Brett Luna
06-05-2015, 7:36 PM

If I get two or more pieces with pre-paid envelopes, I send one company's junk to the other and vise versa.

Wade Lippman
06-05-2015, 7:52 PM
I agree is it a foolish marketing ploy, but really... is that the most upsetting thing to happen today!?

Ole Anderson
06-05-2015, 7:54 PM
I always do that. Every single credit card solicitation I get goes into the mail with junk stuffed into it. They don't have to pay postage until the postage is actually used. If they're going to waste my time having to shred their offers, I'm going to waste their money sending them garbage.But don't you waste even more of your time trying to "get even"? Seems unproductive to me.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-05-2015, 8:32 PM
I agree is it a foolish marketing ploy, but really... is that the most upsetting thing to happen today!?

Actually life is pretty good for me, so yes, thankfully it was.

Bill Orbine
06-05-2015, 8:59 PM

No........ if I get something like that, I just chunk it in the garbage like any other junk mail. Done and a peace of mind. The Woodshop News has nothing to offer me to bother them about their business/advertising tactics.

Moses Yoder
06-06-2015, 4:20 AM
I try to be understanding. I would not have work to do if the company I work for quit advertising. We use different methods but still we advertise, and people have to spend a certain amount of time examining our ads and making a decision. To waste postage is really just wasting someone else's time and energy, basically you are doing the same thing they are, only for no real reason.

Jim Matthews
06-06-2015, 7:03 AM
When I fill out any form online, I include
"Apt. 2B" in the address.

If something from an unknown agency
comes with this in the address,
it gets filed in the 65 gallon apartment
2B used every Monday.

Brian Henderson
06-06-2015, 11:18 AM
But don't you waste even more of your time trying to "get even"? Seems unproductive to me.

It takes no more time to shred the garbage with my information on it than it does to stuff garbage in an envelope and lick it.

roger wiegand
06-08-2015, 4:04 PM
Unless it has a first class stamp on it it goes straight to the recycling bin in our house-- never even comes inside, the bin is on the way from the mailbox to the house.

Eric DeSilva
06-08-2015, 4:56 PM
My vote for sleaziest practices are the trade rags that get sent to my office. The publisher will send a couple free issues, then follow those with a real invoice slathered with dire statements about how my "subscription" is ending. I presume they are hoping some clueless admin assistant will simply route the invoice to accounting for payment. But it seems awful close to fraud in my book.

Larry Edgerton
06-08-2015, 5:16 PM
I have been getting it free for too many years to count, or maybe more years than I care to count? This is how they pay for it and it does not bother me to fill out their questionnaire once a year for free firestarter. My food stove loves it when I am done with it!