PDA

View Full Version : Photograv or no?

Jeffrey Dewing
06-04-2015, 11:02 PM
I have a Trotec speedy 300, 80 Watt... Do you think it is cost efficient to get Photorav? I'm getting a good result on black marble and granite, but not so good on glass. Just throwing it out there, Do you think it's worth it? I'd love to have the quick part, but also want to know how it works with out. You people have been great with me, and I'd love to have an opinion from you all? Thanks, Jeff, Bellwether Laser LLC...

Steve Clarkson
06-05-2015, 6:52 AM
You should definitely get it.......actually, I'll even sell you my copy.....CHEAP!

Bill George
06-05-2015, 7:37 AM
I have a Trotec speedy 300, 80 Watt... Do you think it is cost efficient to get Photorav? I'm getting a good result on black marble and granite, but not so good on glass. Just throwing it out there, Do you think it's worth it? I'd love to have the quick part, but also want to know how it works with out. You people have been great with me, and I'd love to have an opinion from you all? Thanks, Jeff, Bellwether Laser LLC... If you have Corel Draw and learn how to use, Photograv is not needed. I did use it the other day, prepared a preview image for a customer so he could see how it would look on real wood.

Scott Shepherd
06-05-2015, 8:05 AM
We had it, and like Steve, we sold it. Photos on glass is going to be one of the more difficult things to do.

Steve Clarkson
06-05-2015, 8:08 AM
Haha! I haven't been able to sell mine yet!!! I'm offering free shipping, a dozen donuts and a Glowforge 3D printer....no bites yet........

Mike DeRegnaucourt
06-05-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm offering free shipping, a dozen donuts and a Glowforge 3D printer....no bites yet........

...especially the part about offering a Glowforge 3D printer. Well, in their magical marketing it is "3D Laser Printer". lol My lathe is a 3D rotational creation device in that case. :p

Jeffrey Dewing
06-06-2015, 1:13 PM
Thanks for all your input. I'll take that as a no. Hahahaha.... "3d Laser Printer" Guess I'll just have to practice more on my skills. Meanwhile, I've been using my "hand actuated impact tool" with my roots in carpentry, to make money towards the new business. Bellwether Laser LLC. You people are a hoot... Thanks again , Jeff.....

Jeanette Brewer
06-08-2015, 9:55 AM
I'll take an opposing point of view, just for kicks.

Many of our customers use PhotoGrav and are thrilled with it. I'd say order it & try it to see if it's worth the $ for your business model. PhotoGrav offers a 30-day refund if it's not a good fit for you.

Tim Bateson
06-08-2015, 10:22 AM
I think the Job Control on your Totec software likely does dithering as well or better than PhotoGrav.

Don Corbeil
06-08-2015, 7:12 PM
I think the Job Control on your Totec software likely does dithering as well or better than PhotoGrav.

In my experience, I don't find the trotec dithering process to be as good as photograv (at least with wood).
When I've compared results side by side using the same photo source, photograv is usually better, and usually on the first try.
I've also had some pretty good results with the gold method script that runs through photoshop.

Clark Pace
06-08-2015, 7:56 PM
I like photograv, I get more consistent results. But if you are not doing a lot of engraving it might not be worth it. I don't do that much engraving but I used to do a done. Now mostly cutting. But I still use it on occastion

In my experience, I don't find the trotec dithering process to be as good as photograv (at least with wood).
When I've compared results side by side using the same photo source, photograv is usually better, and usually on the first try.
I've also had some pretty good results with the gold method script that runs through photoshop.

Scott Shepherd
06-09-2015, 8:09 AM
I don't think my issues were with PhotoGrav, I think they just highlighted the issue with photos to me. It all just seemed to take a lot of time and tweaking to get right. I would imagine that once you invest that time, and you learn what it needs and wants to make a photo look great on various materials, then you can probably crank them out with great results. I just wasn't ready to invest that much time into the process of doing photos and I didn't like the inconsistency of what people brought in. While we can engrave photos, it just wasn't a good fit for our business.

Mike Null
06-09-2015, 8:23 AM
I usually decline photo jobs for the reasons Steve mentioned but I do accept some printing (sublimation) jobs which require me to edit photos and I find that PhotoPaint does very well at that. I never could justify the expense of Photograv.

Don Corbeil
06-09-2015, 10:59 AM
I didn't like the inconsistency of what people brought in.

This is so true. That's where the biggest struggles and time demands have come from - trying to make a poor image look decent.
The old GIGO mantra.

Bill Cunningham
07-13-2015, 8:12 PM
Photograv works fine for me! For wood, the cherry setting works for just about everything. The generic glass setting also works good. The whole secret to good results is learning what makes a good engravable photo by using the tools available in Photopaint, or Photoshop. I don't have Photoshop and do everything to tweak the image in Photopaint. Practice, practice, practice..