PDA

View Full Version : Hello from MA

Tim Bridge
06-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Hi All,

I am new to this site but have been doing small projects for some time as a hobby. I'm an old electrician but love woodworking.

I recently purchased a Laguna 14" Italian bandsaw that is about 15 yrs old. I took it all apart and cleaned it up and installed new guides and an 1-1/4" resaw king blade.

A couple of weeks ago I got a Dewalt DW735 planer and stand.

I have a Bosch table saw and router table, along with a couple of Lie Nielsen, Woodriver and Veritas hand planes.

I'm now ready to kick it up and try some larger projects than boxes.
I am planning on building a garden bench for the wife to justify all of the tools and keep her happy.

My next project before I try to tackle the bench will be a couple of folding Adirondack chairs. I got a plan from Lee Valley today. I am trying to decide what kind of wood to use.

I hope to contribute to the site and will be looking for help with some of my projects.

Happy woodworking.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the Creek Tim! Wade right in .......the water's fine!

Frederick Skelly
06-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Welcome Tim! Glad to have you with us. Lot's of knowledge here and folks are very willing to share it. Since you have hand planes, be sure to visit our Neanderthal Haven for tons of good hand tool advice.

"Talk" to you soon.
Fred

Todd Burch
06-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Welcome Tim! We need pictures. ;)

Todd

Tim Bridge
06-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Here is a box that I made out of walnut with a curley maple top and bottom.
I gave it away to my mother. I usually give most of my stuff away.

i will post more soon.

315064 315065

William A Johnston
06-05-2015, 5:47 AM
Very nice.

Frederick Skelly
06-05-2015, 6:30 AM
That box looks great. Hard to argue with curly maple!

Kent A Bathurst
06-05-2015, 8:27 AM
Welcome to the Creek Tim! Wade right in .......the water's fine!

That box looks great. Hard to argue with curly maple!

I'm with these fellers..........:)

Todd Burch
06-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Very nice.

I'm with these fellers..........:)

William, Kent is showing selective love… Might be the meds… I'm not sure. Regardless, I've had therapy to deal with situations like this, so I'm OK with it. I just want to make sure you don't feel left out too. I'm with you!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Kent had shoulder surgery recently. They had to cut his hair to gain access to his shoulder and as a result of the hair cut, they've had to keep him heavily medicated.

Kent A Bathurst
06-05-2015, 10:16 AM
William, Kent is showing selective love… Might be the meds… I'm not sure. Regardless, I've had therapy to deal with situations like this, so I'm OK with it. I just want to make sure you don't feel left out too. I'm with you!

Nah - not the meds - - my neutral setting.

Wiseguy......;)

Whyncha load up them 1" x 15" x 8' WO boards and come visit? I have a 25+ case wine closet that is about 1/2 full - some shelves are chock full of VG+ stuff to over-the-top stuff - cellared for up to 20 years, and worth more now that I can afford to buy, much less drink. We could chew through $1,700 worth in 24 hours, easy............ I will show you a lot of personal love - until you get drunk enough to unload your truck in my shop, then I'll kick your Texas butt out..........:p

Andrew Pitonyak
06-05-2015, 7:25 PM
Very nice boxes. I like that particular clasp type for my boxes too. My boxes are not as pretty as yours... I particularly like how the gran runs between the top and the bottom. I have only made "utility" boxes so far... I keep thinking that I should make something pretty like that.

Will be interested in seeing the final product for the chairs and the benches.

Lots of people seem to like the chairs... I have never sat in one. Are they comfortable?

Phil Mueller
06-05-2015, 7:43 PM
Welcome Tim! Your boxes look fantastic, nice work. Look forward to seeing your future projects.
Might need to sneak in an electrical question some time.
Phil