PDA

View Full Version : Questions for installing hardwood on stairs

Kyle Stiefel
08-13-2005, 8:26 PM
Hello,

I am preparing for installing hardwood flooring ( 3/4" x 3 1/4" Jatoba) in a couple of bedrooms and the stairwell bound by walls on both sides. I am preparing the previously carpeted stairs and making skirts for the walls.

I am going to use my planks for the treads and risers. I also have ordered bullnose pieces for the edges. I have read several different ways to install them on the stairs and it seems like a number of people angle nail the bullnose piece and adhesive. The planks are then hooked with the tongue and groove, adhesive, and the last piece before the riser is face nailed to be covered by the riser.

For all you stair experts does this installation method sound good and if so exactly what type of adhesive would you recommend?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Kyle

Richard Wolf
08-13-2005, 9:15 PM
The problem with your thinking lies in the bottom step. If you add 3/4" material on top of you exsisting tread you have chaged the rise of the first step from, lets say 7 1/2" to 8 1/4". As you continue up the staircase adding 3/4" material the rise will remain at 7 1/2" until you get to the top step when your rise will only be 6 3/4" unless you are also reflooring the hallway upstairs which will keep the top step at 7 1/2". So how do you plan to compensate for the bottom step? You will find it at least uncomfortable, at worst dangerous to have a starting step 3/4" different than all the rest. You may have to refloor the approach to the bottom of the staircase as well. For an adhesive I would use PL sub floor adhesive.
I think if I was gong to do this project for you, I would think about making new treads from the Jatoba by glueing it to 1/4" ply with the bullnose pieces at the front and replacing the treads that are on your staircase now. I would then glue up some riser pieces and replace the old ones or plane down the new one to 1/4" and glue them to the old risers.
Stair work always seems like it is difficult and time consuming, but the staircase must function as well as look good. It is most likely the first thing you see as you enter your home and everyone will see it. You and your family will climb the stairs many times a day and they must be comfortable and safe and feel solid.
If you have any questions please ask.

Richard

Kyle Stiefel
08-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Richard,

Thanks for the input. The thought of making the new treads with the 1/4" backing sounds like a good idea.

Kyle