PDA

View Full Version : Thread adaptor for Grizz 766

Scott Brandstetter
06-04-2015, 10:44 PM
have a super nova 2 and need a thread adapter. This is pure laziness, tired. Anyone have the specs on what to get and can I get this at Woodcraft.

Roger Chandler
06-04-2015, 10:52 PM
have a super nova 2 and need a thread adapter. This is pure laziness, tired. Anyone have the specs on what to get and can I get this at Woodcraft.

Scott......the spindle on the new G0766 is 1.25X8 tpi.......an adapter can be gotten from woodcraft, only stay away from the WoodRiver adapters........get a genuine Nova adapter from Teknatool.........a lot of the WoodRiver adapters failed to run true from reports on the forums..........

Scott Brandstetter
06-04-2015, 10:59 PM
You're the man Roger. I somehow knew that you would be the first to respond. Now, go to bed so you can turn all weekend (saw your previous post about dogs, no sleep) I would have headed to Woodcraft tonight but I live in the country and already made two runs into town for a plug for the lathe, that I totally screwed up, and a allen bolt to replace the one on my 766. Didn't have another town run in me.

Thanks for the help

Dennis Collier
06-07-2015, 9:33 AM
Make sure you get the one with the set screw. There is one with and one without. The one without will spin off when the lathe is in reverse.

David C. Roseman
06-07-2015, 3:44 PM
Whichever brand of adapter that you get, if it has a set screw be careful to check where that set screw contacts the spindle before cranking it down tight. The G0766, G0733 and G0698 (and no doubt other makes and models of lathes) have a dedicated channel for a set screw between the spindle boss and the spindle threads. This does not align with the set screw location on some aftermarket chuck inserts (e.g. Oneway's inserts for 1-1/4" x 8 tpi spindles), and I suspect that may also be true with some thread adapters. If the set screw does not align with the channel, consider swapping it out for a brass-tipped set screw to prevent galling the spindle boss or the spindle threads, as the case may be.