PDA

View Full Version : I won a DeWalt Sawzall today - don't need it. What to get instead?

Todd Burch
06-04-2015, 10:38 PM
The local HD was having a Pro+ contractor event. Door prizes, free lunch, etc. I ended up winning 2nd place door prize, which was a new DeWalt Recip saw.

I have a Milwaukee Sawzall that does everything I need, so I don't need another one. First place was a Hitachi Coil siding nailer… I wouldn't have minded a spare one of those! (Bought mine last summer).

So, the Mgr said I could swap the DeWalt out for store credit on something else. Looks like about $90 worth of credit. I'm not sure what to get.

I went and browsed over the chainsaws to see what they had. I have an Echo 12" CS-3000 (30cc) which I use all the time and a old Craftsman 18" 3.7cu model, that I have not started in 15+ years. I figured I might get something a bit beefier than the 12" Echo. Their largest model was 18" Echo (40cc) and a 18" Poulan (42cc). It seems to me that with a bar that long, you might want more than 40-ish ccs.

So, I'm still undecided. Don't need a circular saw, or grinder or anything like that.

What would you get for $90 store credit?

Frederick Skelly
06-04-2015, 10:41 PM
How about some clamps? Or if you prefer a power tool, how about an HD multi- tool or a cordless drill, or just batteries for one? Or an air nailer?

Kent Adams
06-05-2015, 6:03 AM
Clamps......because.....wait for it......you can never have enough clamps.

Bill Orbine
06-05-2015, 6:14 AM
LED light bulbs...... You can generate more savings from free!

Myk Rian
06-05-2015, 6:24 AM
Put it towards a coil nailer.

Joe O'Connor
06-05-2015, 6:44 AM
I would get the set of rigid tool boxes they have on sale. Three boxes that lock together with a rolling cart on the bottom, looks pretty handy.

Todd Burch
06-08-2015, 4:18 PM
Problem solved. I got store credit for 96 big ones.

Jim Becker
06-08-2015, 8:13 PM
Store credit works. Those consumer chain saws are not what you want to buy for that kind of thing...the "good saws" from Stihl and Husqi actually cost less over time. ;)

Kyle Iwamoto
06-09-2015, 4:23 AM
Congrats!
Rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander? I've been wanting one of those.

Or clamps as mentioned.

Yeah buy a Stihl or Husq chainsaw if you use it a lot.