PDA

View Full Version : My Grizzy G0766

Dennis Collier
06-04-2015, 4:58 PM
I had planned to wait until Roger posted his thread and post as part of it but Im getting questions so here is my new lathe and pics! Ive never posted pics here before and I don't know how many Im limited to per post so this will be a few posts long.

I picked it up from UPS freight yesterday and my brother and a buddy from work met me at home to get it from my pickup, to my basement shop. Took probably an hour to get it out of the crate, into the basement and the legs bolted up. Spent another hour cleaning it up, waxing the bed and installing the other various parts and pieces. Fired it up and its so smooth and quiet. Im absolutely in love with this machine! Mind you, my previous lathe was a HF mini so that's all I have to compare too and I just went from a beat up Pinto to a brand new Cadillac.315029315030315031315032

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 5:05 PM
Awesome Dennis. Glad to see it ready to work!!

Red

Dennis Collier
06-04-2015, 5:08 PM
Now onto my issues. First off, Grizzly claims to inspect every machine once they receive them before they ship them. Inspect the crate? Maybe. They definitely did not open this crate and inspect this machine. The legs are bolted together with some steel brackets and that assembly is bolted to the bed of the lathe with some very thin paper and foam between them. The entire lathe is bolted to a plywood pallet and the crate built around the machine. Great idea, except it went horribly wrong. The bolts that hold the leg assembly to the bed were rolling around the crate and the entire assembly had been bouncing/moving around allowing the thin foam to be torn to shreds and all the surfaces to be rubbing together. On top of that, the rest of the bolts that hadn't already fallen out, were finger tight. Literally the only bolts requiring tools to remove were the ones bolting the legs to themselves. The rest were removed with bare hands.

The legs and the tailstock suffered the most damage. The bed looks bad but it feels perfectly smooth.315033315034315035315036315037315038315039

Dennis Collier
06-04-2015, 5:14 PM
Another complaint is that the headstock and tailstock can not be removed without first doing some grinding. The bolts are too long. This was a known problem with the G0733. Why it wasn't corrected is beyond me.

Youll also notice in my pics that there are holes drilled and tapped in the legs. Is this for the future release of an extension similar to that of the PM3520B?

Ive yet t mount a piece of wood to this machine yet but I have the next10 days off work so plenty time to play!!

So, first impressions. This thing is a beast!! Whoever packed it, sucks and Im pretty disappointed in Grizzly QC department. Im bummed about the condition my lathe arrived in but Ive dealt with Grizzly enough to know they will make it right, one way or another. Ill be emailing them and sending these pics to them as well. Overall, as of right now Im pretty excited to have this beast I myshop and I cant wait to do some turning. Ill report back here with updates!

Dennis Collier
06-04-2015, 5:20 PM
Youll also notice the tool rack and light I used with my mini all needs to be moved now!

Izzy Camire
06-04-2015, 5:51 PM
Dennis, nice looking lathe I am sure you are excited to use it. Too bad about things banging around in the crate. Hopefully they can fix it up for you.

Roger Chandler
06-04-2015, 5:55 PM
Okay.........got my G0766 up and running today.........had to uncrate it in the rain no less! :( I have not had time to turn on it yet, because of taking my MIL to an appointment, and I just got back.

My initial impressions: First off........this is just a good looking machine! The castings are definitely more refined than my former G0698. I noticed that the quill has etched, imprinted markings on it which go into the metal and not just color stamped like my former lathe.......this looks identical to the PM3520b quills I have seen.

One notices when they look at this lathe that it is BIG! It is a beast as Red mentioned last evening! The ways are way more refined in the grinding of the surface than was my G0698, and it was pretty good. The paint job was good on my unit and I happen to like the two colors they used on this unit......looks better to me than all Grizzly green.

I noticed another change on the G0766........they made it where that when you hit the red emergency stop button, before you can resume you have to reset the forward/reverse switch back to 0 which is neutral, then go back to forward or reverse, and then power up with the speed dial. This is an additional safety feature, and I will have to get used to this as my former lathe did not require that.

The banjo on this unit is exactly the same as my G0698 18/47 was......I had hoped it would be a longer version, but it is not, however, I do not think that is a problem at all.......just something I personally had hoped for. The hole in the banjo that accepts the tool rest is 25mm and I am going to have to drill it out to 1" to accept my aftermarket tool rests......I expected that as well.

The unit is very smooth and as quiet as most of the 3520b units I have turned on. It seems powerful as I listen to it, and feel the ramp up as you turn the speed dial, but that will be tested more when I get something chucked up on it [hopefully tomorrow, if I can find the time to make it happen.]

No pics tonight......the rain prevented cameras, and my friend that helped me only had a brief amount to time to be here today, so it was pick 'em up, put 'em down. I hope to post a few pics tomorrow if possible.

I did encounter one issue..............the rpm sensor on my unit was not working........I felt like it was loose and when I opened up the door to the belt compartment, I could see it dangling on its wire, and out of the metal strap that holds it in place. I unscrewed the cover plate for the switches, and remounted that sensor and tightened up those nuts [ one had come off and was laying in the inside bottom of the headstock] and it worked just fine. I placed the face of the sensor at about 1/32 nd of an inch close to the inside of the pulley.

Another improvement is the lock nut they put underneath the banjo......on my G0698, I had to periodically tighten the nut a turn to keep the handle locking in the position I wanted it to be in, so this will eliminate that. I probably should have used that nut on the head stock, but most of the time I do not move that, so I felt better served using it on the banjo.

At this point..........I am very pleased, but stay tuned.........this lathe will get put through its paces shortly and from what I can see now, I think it will really make the curlees fly!

Just a note about Dennis's observation about the long bolt on the tailstock and headstock......they do that deliberately....it was the same with my G0698..........safety issue with someone dropping it on their foot................I think the lawyers get the win over the turners that use these things, .........I do not think it is much of an issue unless one likes to take the thing off frequently, but can be modified to suit individual needs.

Rick Bailey
06-04-2015, 6:10 PM
Now you guys got me thinking,:p
Can you tell what the gap distance is of the ways?
Thanks,
Rick

David C. Roseman
06-04-2015, 7:19 PM
Now onto my issues. First off, Grizzly claims to inspect every machine once they receive them before they ship them. Inspect the crate? Maybe. They definitely did not open this crate and inspect this machine. [snip]

Dennis, congratulations on the new machine! Too bad about the problems with the packing. Let us know how that resoves. I had a few minor chips off the paint of my G0733 when I unpacked it three years years ago, nothing as bad as on yours, and all the packing hardware was quite secure. Grizzly rushed out a small can of touch-up paint, which did the trick for me.

Regarding inspections, I haven't heard that Grizzly claims to inspect each machine after it arrives in the U.S. and before reshipment to the customer. :confused: Did someone at Grizzly actually say that? I know they have a quality assurance representative at the factory in Shandong, and I know they do spot inspections in the U.S. But they sell thousands of big bench machines, and uncrating, inspecting and recrating every one stateside before reshipment doesn't sound right.

Looking forward to more updates from you and others in this thread. Several of my local turning friends are very interested in this lathe.

Scott Brandstetter
06-04-2015, 7:41 PM
Another update on the 766. Got mine today and set it up by myself. I am simply worn out and didn't get to play with it much. My system came with only one minor issue, the bolt that holds the motor to the head was loose. I did have to go to the big box and get a replacement, no problem. I hate to hear about the finish/packaging issues on yours Dennis. Mine came through with flying colors (not to make you feel bad) with no issues to fit or finish. As the pictures show, I used my trusty Harbor Freight Hydraulic Lift Table to raise the bed up and then mount the legs. This thing really is a beast. I got it all cleaned up, in position, and grab the plug to put it through the test they recommend. Darn it, back to the big box store. I installed the wrong plug, even with Red sending me a picture.

Finally got back and turned her on. Wow, just wow. I came from a Jet 14-42 reeves drive to this. I really had no idea what to expect other than bigger is better. Well, the low speed torque, the infinite speeds, the quiet purr of the machine, the shear weight and mass. I put on a piece of wood, turned with a big smile on my face and smoothed out the bottom of a bowl. Went to turn it around and chuck it to my super nova 2. Don't have the right size thread adapter. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day. Time will tell but I think this will be in my shop for quite a while.

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 8:21 PM
Scott I have no comment on the plug issue you had! Glad it all worked out. Nice to see these pics of the 0766 in place. It's been a long waiting period for us all.

Red

Roger Chandler
06-04-2015, 9:55 PM
Well.......even though I am dog tired this evening [my dogs got me up 3 times during the night last night and I probably got about 90 minutes of actual sleep :eek:] and been super busy all day long.........I just could not stand going to bed tonight and not giving the new G0766 a bit of a run, so my apologies for cell phone pics this evening, but it was what I could do.......

315058 315059 315060

Here is what I worked on to rough it out.......a cherry vase from a much larger square of wood, which had some bad areas so that is why it is not bigger than it is........about 8" high and 6" wide at the rim.

315061 As you can see.......I sorta made a mess! :rolleyes: 315062

One other thing on the improvements I see on this unit vs. the former G0698 I had........the ratchet handles that tighten the quill, the tool rest, and the motor have been vastly improved. The other lathe had a sort of star toothed ball and socket sort of configuration that was spring loaded of course.......the G0766 has a hex design that the outer ratchet slips over like a regular socket wrench and is spring loaded. This is a much better engineered solution and should prevent strip outs like used to happen to a lot of lathes when the handles were stripped out.

Roger Chandler
06-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Now you guys got me thinking,:p
Can you tell what the gap distance is of the ways?
Thanks,
Rick

The gap is 1.5 inches wide......same as the G0733.

Roger Chandler
06-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Dennis Collier "The bed looks bad but it feels perfectly smooth"

Dennis.........a little touch up with some 400-600 grit sand paper and you will never know that the bed had those marks.......mine had a mark also because of the vibration occurring during the shipping.......I took some 600 grit paper and gave if a few strokes by hand and you cannot even tell it .

Dennis Collier
06-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Roger, whats your take on the drilled and tapped holes in the legs? You think the extension is coming? I read in the manual the maximum safe outboard turning diameter is 17". Really? Then what would be the point of turning outboard on this machine. For the record, I doubt Ill ever exceed the capacity without going outboard. Just curious as it dosnt make since to me.

Roger Chandler
06-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Roger, whats your take on the drilled and tapped holes in the legs? You think the extension is coming? I read in the manual the maximum safe outboard turning diameter is 17". Really? Then what would be the point of turning outboard on this machine. For the record, I doubt Ill ever exceed the capacity without going outboard. Just curious as it dosnt make since to me.

Dennis.......when they make up these manuals, they cut and paste a lot of info from previous models and manuals........I would take that particular admonition with a grain of salt! :rolleyes: I put in an official request for Grizzly to get a bed extension for this lathe........a few emails to them about the matter could not hurt, and might persuade them to have it made for this unit. they said they would take my request under advisement, and I specifically asked that my email be forwarded to decision makers.

Richard Casey
06-04-2015, 11:43 PM
The banjo on this unit is exactly the same as my G0698 18/47 was......I had hoped it would be a longer version, but it is not, however, I do not think that is a problem at all.......just something I personally had hoped for. The hole in the banjo that accepts the tool rest is 25mm and I am going to have to drill it out to 1" to accept my aftermarket tool rests......I expected that as well.

Roger,
same problem with my Laguna, took the banjo to a machine shop and they reamed it out to take the 1" tool posts, much better finish than drilling it out.
rgds,
Richard.

James Conrad
06-05-2015, 6:35 AM
Did they address the issue with chucks not seating properly on the spindle?

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 7:56 AM
Did they address the issue with chucks not seating properly on the spindle?

James, I am not sure that saying the chucks do not seat properly is correct........I tried 3 of my chucks on it like it came from the factory.......all 3 ran true, but the adapter insert did not go all the way back against the spindle shoulder. There is a little area there machined behind the threads for the grub screw to seat.

I went ahead and took a small, fine tooth file and some 400 grit abrasive and took a little off the area just behind that recess for the grub screw.....now all my chucks go all the way back to the face of the shoulder, and you cannot tell it was done by looking at it.

If you do this, watch messing up your threads........stay behind them! I used a triangle file at 600 rpm with light pressure and checking the fit a few times along the way!

I do not think this is necessary, as the chucks run fine, but it was my personal preference.

charlie knighton
06-05-2015, 8:17 AM
congratulations guys on your lathes, enjoy

James Conrad
06-05-2015, 9:28 AM
Well it arrive!
315077 315078

I unpacked it to the point where I could check for damage, some rubbing damage to the legs and faceplate along with a few spots on the outside edges of the ways. The parts box was beat pretty good and I hope all the parts are still there. Nothing like Dennis had, but I could see how that could easily happen as the brackets holding the legs in place are not that tightly secured. I believe this type of damage has been reported before with this packing method with the legs, seems like an easy thing they could address.

I'll get to assembly later this afternoon...

Ralph Lindberg
06-05-2015, 11:21 AM
James, I am not sure that saying the chucks do not seat properly is correct........I tried 3 of my chucks on it like it came from the factory.......all 3 ran true, but the adapter insert did not go all the way back against the spindle shoulder. There is a little area there machined behind the threads for the grub screw to seat.

I went ahead and took a small, fine tooth file and some 400 grit abrasive and took a little off the area just behind that recess for the grub screw.....now all my chucks go all the way back to the face of the shoulder, and you cannot tell it was done by looking at it.

If you do this, watch messing up your threads........stay behind them! I used a triangle file at 600 rpm with light pressure and checking the fit a few times along the way!

I do not think this is necessary, as the chucks run fine, but it was my personal preference.

If I'm understanding this, yes it is necessary. The chuck (or face-plate) should seat directly on the face of the head-stock. Otherwise the threads are taking all the forces. By seating the flat surface of the headstock (and the chuck) take much of the forces (like in a catch) rather them being on the threads.
One of the "Pro's" of my acquaintance doesn't like the little plastic washers as he thinks they interfere with this function. Personally I only use them for vacuum chucking, and on some special fixtures like my Vicmarc VOD

James Conrad
06-05-2015, 11:37 AM
If I'm understanding this, yes it is necessary. The chuck (or face-plate) should seat directly on the face of the head-stock. Otherwise the threads are taking all the forces. By seating the flat surface of the headstock (and the chuck) take much of the forces (like in a catch) rather them being on the threads.
One of the "Pro's" of my acquaintance doesn't like the little plastic washers as he thinks they interfere with this function. Personally I only use them for vacuum chucking, and on some special fixtures like my Vicmarc VOD

In agreement with you on this Ralph, not sure I've heard of any Powermatic or Jet owners having to make this fix. It was something we were aware of, was just hoping they might have addressed it like they did with the belt door thumb screw and hand wheel.

hu lowery
06-05-2015, 12:09 PM

Something I ordered came with one of the little plastic washers. It deformed rapidly and then I was seating on an unlevel surface, definitely not what I want to do! Every once in awhile my chuck or faceplate is a little contrary coming off, I'd far rather live with that than my chuck not fitting flush on a machined surface.

While wood turning doesn't often require the precision of metal turning it still seems like a bad idea to add in extra error. A few thousandths at the spindle can equal a pretty big wobble twelve inches away.

I quit waxing my spindle face for the same reason, this too was creating an unlevel surface.

Hu

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 12:26 PM
I prefer my chuck inserts to fit flat against the shoulder of the spindle also.............I am not sure if they make these spindles just a mm oversized in that area or what, but it is an EASY fix and do also note that I have had inserts from Teknatool [Nova] that were different measurements.........bought at separate times, and likely not from the same run when manufactured.

The faceplate that came with the lathe, and all my other face plates seat all the way back without the adjustment I made.......it was the same on my G0698............I think the lathe makers and the chuck makers need to have a meeting and agree on specs for machining!

My only point was that my chucks ran true with the way the lathe came...........and perhaps they make them that way to keep the chuck from seizing up on the spindle? I have found with my former G0698, if I took care not to overtighten the chuck when putting it on the lathe, that I never had an issue removing them. On my first lathe, the Craftsman 15" VS, my chuck would get stuck.......getting one off is how I broke the gear shaft on that machine.........looking back, that was a fortuitous event for me, as it lead to getting the much better lathes I have gotten since! ;)

mike pockoski
06-05-2015, 1:41 PM
Hey guys...

How slow is the slowest speed on these? I see 100 rpm in teh manual, and recall someone saying it was probably even slower...50 rpm or something like that. I've got a big pile of out of round bowls to sand that's waiting on the new machine to come, and i'm wondering if she'll go slow enough for me to be happy.

i recall Robo Reed mentioning a reprogram of the VFD on his AB, and i'm wondering if that's in my future, or if it'll come slow enough out of the crate.

And thanks all for your photos and narrative. I've been thoroughly enjoying the threads, comments, and your valuable opinions and experience.

Dennis Collier
06-05-2015, 2:09 PM
With nothing mounted but a chuck, just playing with the buttons, I got 50-1220 on the low speed setting and 160-3250 on the high sped setting.

Randy Red Bemont
06-05-2015, 3:03 PM
I got it down to 60 RPM.

Red

James Conrad
06-05-2015, 6:20 PM
All assembled this afternoon after getting in from checking traps, just need to run my new electrical and clean the shop. Thought I wasn't getting it until Monday, so tomorrow I'll get a chance to give it a go.

Tonight it's a lathe and lobster dinner!
315098 315099

Mike Goetzke
06-05-2015, 7:55 PM
I prefer my chuck inserts to fit flat against the shoulder of the spindle also.............I am not sure if they make these spindles just a mm oversized in that area or what, but it is an EASY fix and do also note that I have had inserts from Teknatool [Nova] that were different measurements.........bought at separate times, and likely not from the same run when manufactured.

The faceplate that came with the lathe, and all my other face plates seat all the way back without the adjustment I made.......it was the same on my G0698............I think the lathe makers and the chuck makers need to have a meeting and agree on specs for machining!

My only point was that my chucks ran true with the way the lathe came...........and perhaps they make them that way to keep the chuck from seizing up on the spindle? I have found with my former G0698, if I took care not to overtighten the chuck when putting it on the lathe, that I never had an issue removing them. On my first lathe, the Craftsman 15" VS, my chuck would get stuck.......getting one off is how I broke the gear shaft on that machine.........looking back, that was a fortuitous event for me, as it lead to getting the much better lathes I have gotten since! ;)

Roger - I see you changed your avitar but you need a pic of your new machine not some pretty looking turned thing. :D

Mike

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 8:17 PM
Roger - I see you changed your avitar but you need a pic of your new machine not some pretty looking turned thing. :D

Mike

Well.......I guess you just can't please some people! :D I thought about a pic of the lathe, but decided that something I had made would individualize the avatar a bit more, so...........

Thanks Mike! :)

Mike Goetzke
06-05-2015, 9:29 PM
Well.......I guess you just can't please some people! :D I thought about a pic of the lathe, but decided that something I had made would individualize the avatar a bit more, so...........

Thanks Mike! :)

That is a beautiful lidded vase Roger. Glad to see you got your new toy dirty already!

Have fun and keep us posted,

Mike

Fred Belknap
06-05-2015, 9:46 PM
One of the "Pro's" of my acquaintance doesn't like the little plastic washers as he thinks they interfere with this function.

I had that same problem on my G0698 when it was new. I got a OneWay talon chuck stuck, broke out the index holes trying to get it loose. Grizzly said I was using an after market chuck so they weren't responsible, said he would take it upstairs and give me a call back. Never did call. I had one index hole that I could use so I could get by but I wasn't a happy camper. I sold the Grizzly and bought a PM 3520 and everything worked on it as they should. I really don't see why one should buy a new lathe and have to modify it to get it to work. I kept the Grizzly three years and turned a lot of things on it which it did with ease, but made up my mind not to get another one.

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 9:56 PM
I had that same problem on my G0698 when it was new. I got a OneWay talon chuck stuck, broke out the index holes trying to get it loose. Grizzly said I was using an after market chuck so they weren't responsible, said he would take it upstairs and give me a call back. Never did call. I had one index hole that I could use so I could get by but I wasn't a happy camper. I sold the Grizzly and bought a PM 3520 and everything worked on it as they should. I really don't see why one should buy a new lathe and have to modify it to get it to work. I kept the Grizzly three years and turned a lot of things on it which it did with ease, but made up my mind not to get another one.

Fred........for some,like me for instance.........knowing that this machine is manufactured to metric specs, except the spindle which is 1.25 X8 tpi,is something that I was willing to accept and do the VERY minor modifications on, because it is so much lathe for the money, and knowing the upgrades over the G0698 with 3 hp, premium inverter/ A/C motor combo, handwheel, and better handles........it is worth it to me........way worth it.

When I consider the price of a 3520b [I could have easily ordered one, but decided I wanted the extra distance between centers] vs. the cost of the G0766........for all those dollars that stayed in my pocket, I will gladly take 15 or 20 minutes to do all the mods and end up with a lathe that will do just as much as the 3520b.

I know you were frustrated with the G0698..........I had a super ownership experience with mine.........that is why I for one personally trusted this purchase of the G0766, although I still have one minor issue with the tool rest, but that will get resolved.

Dok Yager
06-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Congrats to All you guy`s that have gotten your lathes! Ok I`m jealous here. Can`t wait for the next batch from Grizzly. Hoping to be in that group.
Roger, Red, Scott can you tell me what the lowest rpm you have run it at so far is?

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Congrats to All you guy`s that have gotten your lathes! Ok I`m jealous here. Can`t wait for the next batch from Grizzly. Hoping to be in that group.
Roger, Red, Scott can you tell me what the lowest rpm you have run it at so far is?

50 rpm is the lowest, then it stops........same as the PM 3520b. Highest is 3260 rpm on the high belt setting.

FYI..........The guy from the Missouri distribution center called me again today..........there will be more shipments coming by the end of June he says.......at least they are anticipating and a lot more will go out, and there will be more shipments to stock up on this unit in the not too distant future after the back orders are all filled!

David C. Roseman
06-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Something I ordered came with one of the little plastic washers. It deformed rapidly and then I was seating on an unlevel surface, definitely not what I want to do! Every once in awhile my chuck or faceplate is a little contrary coming off, I'd far rather live with that than my chuck not fitting flush on a machined surface.

While wood turning doesn't often require the precision of metal turning it still seems like a bad idea to add in extra error. A few thousandths at the spindle can equal a pretty big wobble twelve inches away.

I quit waxing my spindle face for the same reason, this too was creating an unlevel surface.

Hu

Just want to be sure we're all talking about the same area on the spindle that Roger refers to when he describes taking a little off with a file so that some brands of 1-1/4" x 8 tpi chuck inserts will seat flush against the face of the spindle shoulder. He is referring to the boss that protrudes perpendicular to the spindle face. See pic below from a G0733, which has the same known issue as the G0766 and the earlier G0698.

My understanding is that the purpose of the boss is to help register the chuck/chuck insert as it approaches the spindle face as it's threaded onto the spindle. Some lathe spindles don't even have this feature. As Ralph points out, full contact between the back of the chuck insert and the spindle face is critical to proper support and alignment of the chuck.

By contrast, if the insert binds on the boss before fully seating against the spindle face it can cause some big problems: (1) The back of the chuck insert may not be truly co-planer with the spindle face, increasing the likelihood of runout, (2) The threads of both the spindle and insert are asked to take too much force, leading to premature thread wear and slop, and (3) A hard catch will pretty much assure seizing of the insert against the boss, making removal very tough and possibly causing galling of the surfaces. I'm pretty sure no chuck manufacturer intends there to be a "press fit" between the unthreaded rebate of the insert and the spindle boss on any lathe that has one. In fact, I've never seen that tolerance specced in the description of any brand of lathe chuck or lathe spindle, so I don't believe it is considered critical, unless of course, it is too tight!

On my G0733, I held a fine mill file lightly against the spindle boss with the lathe at a low rpm, frequently stopping and testing clearance. Just took a few minutes, and all of my chucks seat fully against the spindle face and run very true.

jeff oldham
06-08-2015, 10:00 PM
I know im missing something here but with all the problems everyone has spoke about why would anyone want one,,,,Other than maybe the price difference and i guess its like the old saying goes( you get what you payed for)

Roger Chandler
06-08-2015, 10:20 PM
I know im missing something here but with all the problems everyone has spoke about why would anyone want one,,,,Other than maybe the price difference and i guess its like the old saying goes( you get what you payed for)
Jeff.......negative things grab the attention. There is so much good about my particular G0766, that only two minor things were at issue and easily fixed........my rpm sensor had come loose during shipment.......a matter of tightening two nuts on it once back in position......piece of cake.........the other is the toolrest......I agree, they should have gotten that one right, but not at all a deal breaker for me, because of all the great features and value on this lathe.

Don't know what kind of issues the ship had with crossing the ocean, but there were loose conditions inside the crates......hopefully that will be corrected going forward, and no longer an issue........Grizzly should have a talk with the factory about that! Still.....not a deal breaker! Too much value and so far great performance. One or two units does not necessarily mean all units will encounter major problems!

Jeramie Johnson
06-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Can't wait for mine to arrive end of this month. I don't see anything that warrants me cancelling. With the savings on acquiring this, I could put multiple engines in my vette (even a few times over), per getting a lathe of this capacity and power from some of the others.

My delta with a broken slide/swivel head-stock is still making bowls and hollow forms, this will make turnings a breeze.