PDA

View Full Version : Another new tool announcement.

Rick Potter
06-04-2015, 1:24 PM
Just got another tool announcement e-mail.

Don't miss.............Drillnado...........dust collection for your drill press. Google it.

I think I will pass on this one.

Phil Thien
06-04-2015, 1:42 PM
I was expecting something incredibly stupid, but I kinda like it.

Eduard Nemirovsky
06-04-2015, 3:36 PM
I like it. I always struggling with drill's dust collecting and drilling same time.
Ed.

darren ross
06-04-2015, 4:02 PM
Eduard Nemirovsky (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?25062-Eduard-Nemirovsky), do you use this tool? How effective is it? Have you revealed any issues while using it?
I'm curious about it, but have doubts about its efficiencyю

Eduard Nemirovsky
06-05-2015, 7:09 AM
Darren, I don't have this system. But I like the idea using dust collection hose on the drill. I agreed it could be not very efficient with big diameters Forstner bits, but with regular bits probably efficient enough to use it.
Ed.

Al Launier
06-05-2015, 7:16 AM
I'd pass on this as well. Frankly I think a vacuum hose mounted as needed would work better.

Todd Hyman
06-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I bought this while at a WW show this past winter and it works pretty well. Its great when I use my drill press to drill the waste out of a mortise.

Larry Copas
06-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Darn, I knew I needed to get a patent.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/5tucker/owwm/DSCF8221.jpg

Rick Potter
06-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Just curious, what is it you are building there Larry?

Wine racks maybe?

Matt Krusen
06-08-2015, 2:07 PM
Matt Vanderlist did a review on this product on Youtube a few weeks ago. Kind of interesting but I think I'll pass and just sweep the floor. Seems a bit cumbersome to me.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-08-2015, 2:10 PM
I won't use DC where I might be cutting, drilling or grinding metal.

paul cottingham
06-08-2015, 2:22 PM
I just use flex pipe hooked into my DC. Simple, works well. Having seen Larry's setup, I may need to reconsider, tho. (Flip monitor to view. I can't figure out how to flip the image.)

Larry Copas
06-08-2015, 3:08 PM
Just curious, what is it you are building there Larry?

Wine racks maybe?

Good guess. In this instance I was building 20 some fishing pole racks that hang from the garage ceiling. Somewhere around 500 holes to drill. Most went to a charity auction.

The duct tape dust collection worked well, better than expected.

Also in that picture is a fence made out of 1/4-20 bolts. That way sawdust and chips can't build up to effect accuracy. Works better than all of the store bought fences.

The air clamp is not OSHA approved but neither am I.

Thomas Bank
05-15-2016, 8:57 AM
Picked one up at a WW show yesterday. Just the night before I had been hogging material out with a 2” forstner bit - which sold me on this when it was demonstrated.

As with Larry and Paul’s photos, I could likely jury rig something up myself. But I like how this comes down around the spindle and doesn’t interfere with clamps or jigs I may have set up.

My only concern is with the bellows. The kit comes with two and he threw in another two as a “show special.” That seems to tell me that they wear over time. It seems to be HDPE - like a milk jug. I’ll have to see how it wears.

I won't use DC where I might be cutting, drilling or grinding metal.

The instructions specifically state not to use it for any metal work.

Jim Finn
05-15-2016, 9:07 AM
The only issue I have when drilling lots of holes on my drill press is chip removal as I drill. I just set a small squirrel cage type fan next to the drill press and as I drill all the chips are blown away to be swept up later.

Tom Ewell
05-15-2016, 11:18 AM
I just use flex pipe hooked into my DC. Simple, works well. Having seen Larry's setup, I may need to reconsider, tho. (Flip monitor to view. I can't figure out how to flip the image.)
Doesn't appear your setup would have a dust problem, doesn't it just fall out of the hole?
Thinking you might have to aim the hose at the spindle area more than the table too.
:D

Greg Peterson
05-15-2016, 2:01 PM
I built a down draft table for my drill press DC. I add a hose near the bit to collect the larger pieces that don't get captured by the downdraft table. It isn't perfect, but I am content with its performance. DC on a drill press is one of the more challenging endeavors in the shop, IMO.

Rick Potter
05-15-2016, 6:10 PM
I hadn't noticed the air clamp Larry used on his until rereading this thread today. Interesting idea on the fence bolts too.

Too cool dude.

Thomas Bank
05-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Well, I played around with it some over the weekend. It doesn’t fit my late 60’s ~ early 70’s vintage Craftsman drill press. It works, but I think I can do better. I’m going to machine a plate with a bracket to make a better mount.