PDA

View Full Version : stabilizing

Bill Pealer
08-13-2005, 4:12 PM
Has anyone ried this?
http://www.curlywoods.com/ldd.html

I want to expand from pens to bowls etc but do not want the 6 mos to year wait.

John Hart
08-13-2005, 9:23 PM
I know that Sasha Gast uses some form of that method. I stick pretty much to Isopropyl Alcohol, but I think most folks use Denatured Alcohol

Jack Savona
08-14-2005, 7:53 AM
It's one of three methods I use (Denatured Alcohol DNA and boiling are the others). The jury is still out on my final choice. The LDD soap method is simple. Soak and weigh. I use a small kitchen/postal scale to see the grams drop till they stop, ususlly in about 2 weeks or so.

Jack

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2005, 8:16 AM
I used it on some green cedar for an end grain vase with two knots, and it worked great. No cracks until it rolled off my work bench onto the concrete floor where it broke into many pieces due to it being so thin. I forget what happened next.

Ernie

Paul Downes
08-15-2005, 2:18 PM
I've been using a very non-scientific approach with ldd. I rough turn a bowl, chuck it in an ldd solution of 5 to 1 with water being the greater part (I,m cheap), and take it out a day or week or.......longer. Say, that reminds me, I got to get that maple burl out of that solution. I still get some warpage in the bowls, but they do turn nicer with that lubricant in the wood. Now if I can just get my wife to quit stealing my soap stash........