PDA

View Full Version : The Unisaw that got away

Matt Day
06-04-2015, 7:49 AM
I saw an ad on CL for a $200 Unisaw yesterday. I emailed the seller right away and told him I'd pick it up after the kids went to bed, which was the earliest I could possibly go. About 2 hours before I was going to leave he texted me to say he sold it bc he needed it gone asap. I asked him if 2 hours really mattered that much and he didn't reply.

It wasn't the best Unisaw by any means, but it would have been a fun project to clean up and flip. It was a Rockwell branded, 1.5 hp 1 phase, one wing, Beis looking fence. If it was a bullet motor war time saw, it would have been a tougher pill to swallow!

Oh well, I know the early bird gets the worm and all, but I hoped he'd be a stand up guy and hold it for the first person who said they'd take it. I've been in his position before and have held the item, but I guess I expect too much from people.

I'm sure a lot of you have had the same thing happen.

John McClanahan
06-04-2015, 8:04 AM
I replied to a local CL ad for a unisaw sitting on a pallet with a power feeder lying beside it for $190. Someone leased some warehouse space that had "junk" in it that the previous tenant left behind. I couldn't get there fast enough to be the lucky buyer.

John

Matt Day
06-04-2015, 8:32 AM
Wow, that would have been a gloat!

Matt Meiser
06-04-2015, 8:40 AM
From the seller's perspective, I can't tell you how many people would be there at x:xx that didn't show. 2 hours I probably would have held it but it would depend on the situation, including my perception of how serious the person is. Obviously that's tough from email and text. For example, right now I've got a dishwasher listed and have had a call and 2 texts on it. The first text was non-committal, sometime this evening so I told them I was around but couldn't hold it. Caller says he'll be here at noon so I'll wait for him. Third person texted they would like to come buy it as soon as they get off work at 5:00. If the 12:00 guy doesn't show, I'll probably tell the third person to come at 5:00. Not too concerned about getting it out of my garage because if none of them show, I'll put it out in the driveway tomorrow morning since there's a sub-wide garage sale.

Dan Hintz
06-04-2015, 8:41 AM
I wouldn't hold it against him... the number of times I've had people who claimed they would be there ASAP flake out on me numbers quite high. For all he knew, you were just one of the masses.

Matt Day
06-04-2015, 8:51 AM
Don't get me wrong, I can see his side, but I was clearly serious. Multiple texts asking for clarifications, told him why I couldn't come right away, etc.

As I said, early bird gets the worm. And it's his item to sell and his rules.

And the wife is probably just fine that the deal fell through!

Doug Ladendorf
06-04-2015, 9:11 AM
I've been there Matt and it stinks. I have found myself grumbling all day about one or another, but have come to just shrug it off and think this wasn't meant to be. You seem to have a good eye for these things and I'm sure the right machine(s) will come to you in time.

Doug

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 9:24 AM
I would of sold it to the first person there with the cash. Way too many people say I'll be right there and never show. That's why I hate selling on CL.

Red

Matt Day
06-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks Doug! I agree, I tried to cover up my grumbling yesterday but I'm over it. Wasn't meant to be as you said.

Red, I understand that line of thinking, but if you had numerous discussions with a buyer and it was clear they weren't the stereotypical CL flake, I would hope you would hold it for a couple hours. But obviously some people disagree.

Mel Miller
06-04-2015, 11:36 AM
I sell on CL and will hold things for a buyer until a designated time. None of that "first person here with the cash gets it" BS. Frequently I'm an hour or more away from the item, and won't make the drive unless the seller says he will hold until I get there.
If the buyer doesn't show, you still have the item so nothing is lost.

Matt Meiser
06-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Numerous emails or texts is different, then I'd definitely hold it 2 hours. A text or email saying I can come at 5 vs a call from someone who asks questions and says they are going to leave in 15 minutes, stop at the bank and be here in about 30...I'll take the one from the caller.

And I'd never tell multiple people they can come now, but first one here gets it. That's different entirely.

Matt Day
06-04-2015, 12:45 PM
I called the guy and he didn't answer, but he responded to a text almost immediately. A lot of people prefer texts, but I think calling can build more of a repor so that's what I tried first.

Jerry Thompson
06-04-2015, 1:03 PM
Someone is going to be lucky when I sell of my WW equipment. I am 72 and do not know how much longer I will keep it up. I have lost interest in a lot of it but I still need to make things at times.
I bought a Delta cabinet saw made in the USA new in 1988 and it still runs as if it were new.

Matt Meiser
06-04-2015, 1:09 PM
Here's why don't usually the "in a few hours thing"....on my dishwasher the noon guy was a no show by 12:50 so I text the next in line, he calls, sets a time, I hang up and literally right then the first guy knocks on the door. Wanting to avoid confrontation with someone standing on my doorstep I let the first guy buy it anyway and texted the second back what happened. He probably feels like Matt right now.

Matt Day
06-04-2015, 1:31 PM
That's fine Matt, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Jeff Monson
06-04-2015, 1:39 PM
I sell quite a bit of stuff on CL. I'll say I can usually judge a serious buyer just by the vibe you get from texts so, I have held many items for much longer than a couple hours. I like to believe there are more "better" people out there than the "flakes". I have been burned a couple times, but I'll take those chances.

David Spurr
06-05-2015, 12:24 PM
At least he told you he sold it. I had a 8" jointer sold out from under me and didn't find out till I got to his shop to pick it up. His words were "Oh, this is awkward."

Wakahisa Shinta
06-05-2015, 12:30 PM
I think when you buy on CL, you take the risk of having the item sold to whomever shows up first with a wad of cash. Individual philosophical preference differs over a wide spectrum about the etiquette of this type of transaction. As a user of CL, I try to not take it personal. Like someone said above, it just was not meant to be. Personally, I try to hold item for interested buyer and have had customer with no show.

Happy wood working!

Garth Almgren
06-05-2015, 1:53 PM
I haven't sold very much on CL but I have bought a few things. So far all of the interactions have been positive, and as both a buyer and seller I strive to show up very close to when I promise to show up, but I understand that life happens. If I'm going to be more than 10 minutes late or a no-show I will text to let them know.

Robb White
06-05-2015, 2:20 PM
I have bought all my big machines from CL and it's been a positive experience for me as well. There are times though people really make you scratch your head. I had just bought a Hammer K3 Winner and the seller refused to take paypal so I said I would mail him the money and send a moving company to get the saw. Guy freaked out he has been trying to sell the saw for months so I got an amazing deal on it all because he was so difficult to deal with. He would only take cash and only take the cash from the person he refused to give the saw to a moving company. So my wife and I had to drive 6 hours each way and rent a trailer to get the saw. He was a very nice guy and his shop was amazing he upgraded to a Felder but he cost himself serious money.

-Rob

Matt Meiser
06-05-2015, 2:40 PM
That's because you proposed a transaction that EXACTLY follows a very common scam.

Scott Hearn
06-05-2015, 2:46 PM
Once upon a time if someone said they'd take it, they got it. If someone else inquired the proper response was it's spoken for but if he doesn't show you are next in line.

If somebody wants the cash in less than the 2 hours the OP said, he's probably not someone I want to do business with.

Robb White
06-05-2015, 2:51 PM
No what I proposed was to his benefit and could allow him to scam me. I would send him either a check OR wire tranfser the money, hell I even said I would FedEx hard cold cash to him if I had to. Once he had the money and was satisfied THEN I would have a moving company pick up the saw. I knew the guy was real I had researched him and his company so I knew he and his company were real and well established was the only reason I would agree to this. He did not want any 3rd party moving people what so ever even though again these where professional movers with a long track record that he could verify.

-Rob

Matt Meiser
06-05-2015, 3:39 PM
Sure, he could have since you know you are legit. But from his perspective its the exact pattern of the most common scam against sellers.

Robb White
06-05-2015, 6:13 PM
From his perspective he would have $2750 in cash in his hand AND the saw in his garage no idea how HE can possibly be scammed?! I sure know how I could be and that still doesn't explain his refusal to allow professional movers. At the end of the day he cost himself quite a bit of money and I scored a great saw.

-Rob

Ronald Blue
06-06-2015, 11:16 PM
At the end of the day I would say you were both happy. Matt M is correct what you were proposing is a common scam tactic on CL and other buy/sell venues. As for the guy not holding the saw....it isn't just CL that it happens on. I had the same experience from a fellow creeker a few months ago. He had a number of items for sale and I expressed interest in one. However he sold it to the person who came to get something else and made him an offer rather than wait for me to come later in the day. I guess the bottom line is the seller can do it anyway they please and what you or I wanted is irrelevant.

Moses Yoder
06-07-2015, 4:49 AM
Where does the idea come from to sell it to the first person who says they will take it? That is just a common courtesy with no real basis so far as I can see. A bird in your hands is worth an infinite number of birds in the bush. Last summer I was selling some nice tools here in the classifieds occasionally and one time I had a PM from someone who was obviously registered here but never posted and 2 minutes later I had a PM from someone who posted frequently and whose posts I enjoyed, a very knowledgeable and friendly fellow. I felt obligated to sell it to the first person who said they would take it. Why is that? Who would have known the difference if I said the latter PM was first and won the deal?

A couple of options in your situation; offer him $50 to hold it for you and then pay for it immediately with PayPal.

Matt Day
06-07-2015, 7:24 AM
It's common courtesy - that is the basis.

Who would have known the difference Moses? Well, you would have. Just a little white lie I guess, but not a very relative line of reasoning in my case. In your case it was an online transaction which is much different, and I agree with what you did since it was not an established member.