PDA

View Full Version : Windsor chair help needed

dennis davidson
06-03-2015, 9:01 PM
I took Drew Langsner's Windsor chair building course in 2001 and this past year I managed to finish my 2nd chair build. We have a new granddaughter and I'm thinking about doing a Windsor youth chair (high chair size). I don't have any plans so I am looking for some measurements to get started, The size for the seat and the rake & splay angles on the legs.
Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Steve Voigt
06-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Do you have this book?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-American-Windsor-Furniture/dp/1558491376

It's full of very detailed scaled drawings of Windsors, with all the dimensions and angles marked. I'm pretty sure there are some pictures of high chairs in there, though I can't remember if there was a scaled drawing. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it. Easy to get via interlibrary loan as well.

Chuck Hart
06-04-2015, 1:17 AM
The table of contents has high chairs listed.

John W Johnson
06-04-2015, 11:50 AM
I took Drew Langsner's Windsor chair building course in 2001 and this past year I managed to finish my 2nd chair build. We have a new granddaughter and I'm thinking about doing a Windsor youth chair (high chair size). I don't have any plans so I am looking for some measurements to get started, The size for the seat and the rake & splay angles on the legs.
Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

I ordered Curtis Buchanan's fan back chair plans and somewhere along the way I asked about dimensions/angles for a both child's chair and highchair. He gave them to me, but now I can't find where I wrote them down. Sorry, but maybe you could call or write Drew. I'm taking his ladder back class in a few weeks and can't wait.

dennis davidson
06-04-2015, 9:08 PM
Steve, thanks my library found a loaner for me. Hope it has some good info.

stevo wis
06-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Dennis,
I have the seat layout for a comb back high chair that I got from Curtis Buchanan a few years back. My notes say that is 2/3 of 95% of his comb back.
The layout has all the spindle deck holes, the leg holes, and the angles. I also have some notes and a bending form. I don't have any leg templates for the turnings, though I am sure looking at Curtis's chair we could figure it out, or just ask him.
It wouldnt be a big deal for me to mail you one, and I really should draw it as I promised it to another chairmaker too.
If you want to leave me a message here or privately with your email and mailing address, i will get it to you. My email is sfirst@sys-seminar.com.

Stevo

Mike Holbrook
06-08-2015, 8:14 AM
Dennis,

I took the Rustic Windsor chair class a couple months ago. Drew has a scale drawing in his book "The Chairmakers Workshop", but I would order his more recent drawing, with lots of notes, that he sells. Drew has made quite a few changes to his plans over the years. Ordering the plan for the chair assures you of getting his latest and greatest ideas. Give Drew a call and I am sure he will set you up. Drew is making plans to retire so this valuable resource could soon be unavailable, though he is talking with his board about ways to continue the classes without him. I have a copy of the drawing I bought just before the class and updated during the class.