PDA

View Full Version : Vintage hammer

Paul Sidener
06-03-2015, 8:57 PM
So I am looking at ebay for no real reason, just window shopping. Am I missing something or is this guy nuts.

eBay item# 201362340372

Mel Miller
06-03-2015, 9:18 PM
It's either a typo or he's a complete idiot.

Pat Barry
06-03-2015, 9:19 PM
Its probly a typo. Bet they want $27.99. Even then it would be a bargain at $4.99

Stew Denton
06-03-2015, 9:42 PM
Hi Paul,

I looked at several of the tools he has listed. He is overly proud of about all of them, as far as I could tell, but all of the rest are overpriced starting from maybe what they are worth to double to quadruple what I would pay for them. As far as I looked that is the only tool he lists at a total idiot price though, so I think he just goofed up.

Stew

steven c newman
06-03-2015, 9:54 PM
Got almost the same hammer in my shop! Just because mine is on it's third handle in 40 years........

Stew Denton
06-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Hey Steven,

You might send the Ebay seller a note seeing if you will give you $1500 for your hammer, which would still give him lots of room for a mark up. Shoot, you could even tell him that yours has been restored, since yours has a new handle.

Stew

Paul Sidener
06-03-2015, 10:08 PM
He changed the price, $27.99. I thought I needed new glasses. I thought $2800 was a tad bit high, but it has free shipping.

steven c newman
06-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Drat! Guess I will just keep mine, then......LOL

Malcolm Schweizer
06-04-2015, 1:11 AM
Not as crazy as the guy selling the unopened LN Bronze 4 1/2 for $1600. By the way, he says he has another one in numbered sequence that he is keeping. Sound familiar? I'm not kidding. Item number 201351451789

Jim Matthews
06-04-2015, 7:53 AM
We ran that clown ragged.

He's getting a lesson in "Beanie Baby" type investments.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-04-2015, 8:16 AM
Hey, there's an idea! A Beanie Baby 4 1/2 LN plane. Just make sure you don't open the box and it will pay for your kid's college.

Karl Andersson
06-04-2015, 8:38 AM
But the extra $1275 for the LN plane is for TLN's signature, a nice authentic blue plastic bag, and the bit of poetry in the listing about how to enjoy your collector's item plane (single malt and burl). So you have some single malt, hit a knot in the burl, drop the plane, and...ka-ching!

Snarkiness aside, referring to what Malcom is referring to, I wonder how successful a forum for tool selling/ buying/ collecting would be? In the subject incident, it did seem like a possible fishing (more like Phishing) expedition to get price ideas and publicize the availability of the items and it was treated as a breach of honor by some posters. Maybe SMC should have a place where people could OPENLY ask for price estimates, discuss condition of tools, discuss what's collectible/ desirable and why, and other "marketplace" issues without always getting lowball price estimates from people who wish all tools cost less than $5.00? I know, folks will say we do that already here in the Neanderthal forum, but everything is usually fine until someone mentions selling or prices, then things quickly degenerate.

If done, it probably should be open only to contributors so it doesn't become a second classifieds section, but I don't see anywhere else online where people can talk freely about old tool prices, selling, and related things like what the collector wants in a cleanup/ restoration (how far do you go?), etc.. On the one hand, it might educate sellers better and, if it became well-known enough, help establish fair price expectations; on the other, it could just become a nasty place where people insult each other over price estimates.

It's just that periodically I'll have some uncommon tool finds that I want to sell and there is NO comparable data on "that site" for some of them. Online "shop" dealers do provide some idea of relative value, except for maybe some whose tools are obviously iron-plated gold, but their archives range over such a long period it's not that great for "current value". OK, enough whining and side-tracking the OP (where's Winton when you need him?)- anyone think it's a good or bad idea? Or know where it already exists?

Karl

Kent A Bathurst
06-04-2015, 8:49 AM
Not as crazy as the guy selling the unopened LN Bronze 4 1/2 for $1600. By the way, he says he has another one in numbered sequence that he is keeping. Sound familiar? I'm not kidding. Item number 201351451789

whoaa............suffering an oxycontin flashback.......:p :p

We ran that clown ragged.

He's getting a lesson in "Beanie Baby" type investments.

one of the classics..........right up there with the 2C con.........;)

Malcolm Schweizer
06-04-2015, 11:34 AM
It's all about the blue bag. I am actually starting a new business selling blue bags and brown oiled paper. Take your old plane, wrap it in my paper, seal it in my blue bag, and presto; your plane has increased $1000 in value.

edit: Engraving pen and sequential number stamp included free of charge.

Jim Koepke
06-04-2015, 12:22 PM
OK, enough whining and side-tracking the OP (where's Winton when you need him?)- anyone think it's a good or bad idea? Or know where it already exists?

Maybe one of the Moderators could chime in, but I thought price fishing/phishing wasn't to be done in the forums outside of the Classifieds.

I am not sure if it supposed to be done in the Classifieds.

What would be nice is if the Classifieds could support an auction format for people who want to sell, but do not know how much something is worth.

For me it is kind of weird buying an old plane for a few dollars and then fixing it up to sell for a lot of dollars. Some folks are lucky when it comes to finding rusty gold and are willing to take some time to give it a polishing. Other folks just want to get something in the mail that can be put to work shortly after its arrival.

Then there is all the curiosities in between.

It could be useful and interesting to have a "What is it Worth" forum. The problem would be the typical responses we have now. Someone would ask how much an old Stanley/Bailey #4 was worth and we would have answers saying, "bought mine for $5 at a yard sale," to someone suggesting it is junk and don't waste your money and the usual, "buy a new premium plane, since they are the only ones that work out of the box."

Maybe it would be a new can of worms and a pain in the posterior for the mods.

Maybe it could be done on a trial basis. Too many problems and it gets shut down.

Just my 314991

jtk

Mel Miller
06-04-2015, 3:45 PM
I think a price fishing forum would be a waste of time. It's actually the lazy way to have somebody else do the research for you. Go to Ebay completed listing for comparables, and that will cover nearly everything.
If you want to sell the item, then list it and see where it goes. If you have no idea what something is worth, chances are you have little invested in it and anything over that is profit. Some folks seem obsessed to get every last possible cent out of something they sell.
Most people with websites clearly state they don't do appraisals. I do on my website, and I still get requests for "what's this worth ?".

Judson Green
06-04-2015, 4:34 PM
where's Winton?

Yeah where is Winton?

Karl Andersson
06-05-2015, 7:54 AM
I wasn't really suggesting a forum solely devoted to price fishing - although that's probably what half the posters would try to use it for. I agree it would be a bear to moderate unless the regular posters took it upon themselves to guide behavior in addition to the mods. I thought there might be more meaningful discussion or at least the opportunity for people with more knowledge to explain the comparable value or rarity of specific tools and also discuss historical tools' attributes without always having someone opine that, regardless of rarity, you should sharpen the blade and start making shavings. People who did find treasure in the attic or someone's driveway might also have interesting stories to tell. Jim, I appreciate your feedback.

Mel, I think you've made some fairly negative characterizations, either directed at me or just aimed at non-collectors who want to sell their tools at a fair price. If you read my post, you'll see I referred to items that DON'T show up on eBay searches or any other internet sources, printed price guides, etc. I don't think a collector or regular dealer who has invested knowledge and specifically hunted for an item should get more for the same item as someone who got it free from their grandfather. I for one would tell them an honest price range, but it seems many are too jealous and indignant over "dumb luck" to help folks. Some might say an open discussion of prices would drive all prices up, but what it really means is that people who took the time to look wouldn't be taken advantage of by buyers - and there would still be plenty of $5 planes out there.

I certainly didn't mean to start a major debate - just thinking out loud - consider my interest evaporated.

Back to the important thing, though - WHERE IS WINTON APPLEGATE? There, that way when he does an Internet search on his name, he'll maybe drop in and tell us if the Camellia oil dried yet.

Karl