PDA

View Full Version : What tool did you buy today?

Neil Gaskin
06-03-2015, 8:04 PM
Another forum I was a member of a long time ago had a thread where folks shared their recent purchases and aquistions.. I thought that might work here? Maybe not but what the hay.

Guess I'll start, Today I bought a CMT Rabbet router bit kit and a Nobex miter box, wanted an Ulmia but budget dictated otherwise..

Bruce Wrenn
06-03-2015, 9:32 PM
I bought some grand kid pleasers, AKA chocolate chips, to make GIANT chocolate chip cookies for the June birthday bunch. Picked up framing for my neighbor's handicap ramp. His wife had a stroke in March, and can't return home until house is accessible, which it will be on Saturday, even if I have to erect tent to work under. For the first time in a month, it has rained (all three days this week.)

Bill Stephenson
06-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Bought a reconditioned Porter cable PCCK602L2R drill/impact driver kit with 2 1.5 amp batteries and charger at CPO. pretty good deal for $119. Warranty backed by PC and Google as it is a Google trusted site.

Bill Clifton
06-03-2015, 10:33 PM
I am going the other way - I eliminated a light stand with 2 halogen lights. Old, tippy and pinched you when you picked them up.

Mike Heidrick
06-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Two 250' bundles of 12/2 romex and two Chamberlain WSLCEV MyQ remote direct wire light switches with each with a mini remote - controllable via a web app.

David Kumm
06-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Maybe not a tool but a project. Remember the story about the eyes and the appetite?314968 Dave

Keith Penner
06-03-2015, 11:26 PM
I picked up a Bosch 1617 router. Looking forward to using it.

Robb White
06-04-2015, 1:46 AM
Not exactly today but bought used 2012 Hammer K3 Winner 48x48.
-Rob

Pete Staehling
06-04-2015, 6:57 AM
I ordered a 1-1/8" Forstner bit that might arrive today or at least in the next couple days. My current set skips from 1" to 1-1/4" and I needed a 1-1/8".

BTW, despite the bashing they get I bought the set from Harbor Freight and have been pretty happy with it. I have quite a few items that I buy from them and am happy with. Some of their stuff is garbage, but some has been a really good value. I find that there are items were I buy premium brands, items where I am happy with middle of the road, and items where HF stuff is just fine. You need to pick and choose which items are which, for me the middle of the road is the most common option, followed by HF, followed by premium brands. I am happy to have a HF store close to home.

Chris Cohick
06-04-2015, 9:29 AM
The last tool I bought, a couple days ago, was a 5/8" hollow chisel mortising bit from Lee Valley.

Greg Hines, MD
06-04-2015, 10:00 AM
The last tool I bought was two more of the Bessey Kliklamps from my local Woodcraft.

Doc

Mike Wilkins
06-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Purchased some 3/8" dowels to finish the assembly of some outside shutters, made of cypress for the house. Tedious glue-up of all those slats.

Mike Ontko
06-04-2015, 10:09 AM
A new Timberwolf 1/2" 10 tpi raker blade to use for general purpose work on my new 17" bandsaw (which is now a week old, so I can't mention it here ;)).

darren ross
06-04-2015, 10:33 AM
My purchase of the week is a 8-Pc general purpose CNC router bit set, will try it next week.

Jesse Busenitz
06-04-2015, 10:33 AM
I almost bought a Powermatic bench grinder for 75$ off of CL...... almost. Was only up for 3 hours, and though I check CL several times a day, fate would not have it.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-04-2015, 11:27 AM
I bought a wall mount bottle opener for my next project. (The opener is the project) Looking forward to using that too.

John Hubbs
06-04-2015, 11:38 AM
David,
Very nice Quincy compressor. 4 cylinders too, wow. I have never seen one with fresh air intake like that.
Motor appears to be 3-phase. Must be 10 HP or more?

John Hubbs
06-04-2015, 11:46 AM
I purchased this monster at auction two Saturdays ago. Just brought it home Sunday as I had to make a roller base for it.
Northwood 24 SLG. Has a single phase 7-1/2 HP motor on it. Even the bed rollers are driven. I love it already...314988

Neil Gaskin
06-04-2015, 12:45 PM
We've been doing the same thing, I hate those halogen lights, they do not store well, they do not work when you need them, and they get way to hot. We've been replacing ours with LED versions that fold up and actually work when you plug them in.

I am going the other way - I eliminated a light stand with 2 halogen lights. Old, tippy and pinched you when you picked them up.

Neil Gaskin
06-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Sweet, I have planer envy...

we just bought a Powermatic 15" with a Byrd cutter on it last Dec. I kept going back and forth between old iron, new iron and what size. Landed on 15" since I can't remember not being able to fit anything in the old dewalt 13" we have. Should have bought the 20" though.

Steven Wayne
06-04-2015, 1:17 PM
I just closed (bought) a new (to me) shop. 3478 sq ft., three roll up doors, three man doors, bathroom, small office and in need of a good bit of work..

John Hubbs
06-04-2015, 1:38 PM
Steven,
That is almost big enough. LOL
I would love to have that much space, but I would just fill it with more tools. My shop space is 22'-24'. I built this onto the back of our existing 22'-24' detached garage. I have managed to fill up the old garage with my wood storage and woodworking tools that I either need to sale or I am fixing up before coming into the shop. There is just enough room for my wives motorcycle. And she gets very upset when the tools breach the bikes perimeter. LOL

John Hubbs
06-04-2015, 1:53 PM
Neil,
I had my eye on the 20" Grizzly for around 2 years, hoping the planets would align and I would find a good deal on one. Is your Powermatic a version of the Grizzly, or a tru Powermatic made here in the States? Would love to have one, but just can't afford it. I actually went to the auction to purchase a 37" Perfomax double drum sander they had. I stopped bidding at $1100. It had alot of miles on it, but figured I could fix anything that went wrong with it. I spoke with the winning bidder after auction. He said they are over $5000 new now and would have gone to $2500 to get this one. Boy, the wife would have been upset if I had out-bid him on that one. LOL. Not sure if it is poor form, but I will share anyway. I won the bid on the planer at $400! I found the Northwood in a magazine from the late 80's, it was advertised for $6700. Feel like I done pretty good. The Grizzly I had my eye on was around $2000 and then they get you for another $250 to ship it. As long as I can find parts for this monster, I will be happy. Luckily the blades are the standard 24"-1-1/8"-1/8" most machines that size have. With the knife grinder built in, I figure I wond need to change them often anyway.

Kevin Bourque
06-04-2015, 3:08 PM
Last Sunday I bought a Stanley Bailey #6 plane in great shape for $20 at a flea market. A few minutes later at another booth I bought a beautiful Stanley #82 scraper for $15.

Neil Gaskin
06-04-2015, 3:40 PM
Ours was made here, We purchased a bit of new equipment this year for our remodeling companies cabinet shop. Should have got the 20" but I'm not sure why.

Neil,
I had my eye on the 20" Grizzly for around 2 years, hoping the planets would align and I would find a good deal on one. Is your Powermatic a version of the Grizzly, or a tru Powermatic made here in the States? Would love to have one, but just can't afford it. I actually went to the auction to purchase a 37" Perfomax double drum sander they had. I stopped bidding at $1100. It had alot of miles on it, but figured I could fix anything that went wrong with it. I spoke with the winning bidder after auction. He said they are over $5000 new now and would have gone to $2500 to get this one. Boy, the wife would have been upset if I had out-bid him on that one. LOL. Not sure if it is poor form, but I will share anyway. I won the bid on the planer at $400! I found the Northwood in a magazine from the late 80's, it was advertised for $6700. Feel like I done pretty good. The Grizzly I had my eye on was around $2000 and then they get you for another $250 to ship it. As long as I can find parts for this monster, I will be happy. Luckily the blades are the standard 24"-1-1/8"-1/8" most machines that size have. With the knife grinder built in, I figure I wond need to change them often anyway.

Garth Almgren
06-04-2015, 3:57 PM
I just got a J roller so that I can apply some Formica to a craft table top for my wife's craft room. Reeks of rubber, but it seems sturdy enough for the job.

David Kumm
06-04-2015, 8:34 PM
David,
Very nice Quincy compressor. 4 cylinders too, wow. I have never seen one with fresh air intake like that.
Motor appears to be 3-phase. Must be 10 HP or more?

I will remove the intake and simplify but 25 hp and 85 cfm. Dave

Rich Engelhardt
06-05-2015, 6:54 AM
After much thinking,,,,,,,,an Easy Cope.....

I have a whole kitchen of cherry crown molding to do & @ the price of cherry crown, I can't afford to screw up.

I've done a lot of painted crown, but, this will be my first natural finish crown.

Bill Ryall
06-05-2015, 9:20 AM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/ryallworks/thumbnailw_500h_500m_a.png
Lie-Nielsen Model Makers's block plane.

Neil Gaskin
06-06-2015, 1:38 AM
Those are handy if coping isnt something you do very often,

If you have an angle grinder, it can also be helpful when coping, using either two abrasive disks back to back or an abrasive pad. If you can secure the material with a clamp its surprising easy to control the grinder and remove the necessary material.

Matt Krusen
06-06-2015, 7:46 AM
Bought a Veritas saddle square yesterday along with a pair of bench dogs for my Roubo. Can't wait to break in that bench!

jack forsberg
06-06-2015, 9:49 AM
picked up some scary tooling for the RAS but the riving makes up for it.LOL

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/e4EAAOSwNSxVabiX/$_57.JPG

Kent Adams
06-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Another forum I was a member of a long time ago had a thread where folks shared their recent purchases and aquistions.. I thought that might work here? Maybe not but what the hay.

Guess I'll start, Today I bought a CMT Rabbet router bit kit and a Nobex miter box, wanted an Ulmia but budget dictated otherwise..

I bought a 3hp Oneida Smart DC.

Bill Ryall
06-06-2015, 6:04 PM
Well, I didn't exactly buy it today, but I finished it up and put it back into service today.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/ryallworks/bs1.jpg

Refurbished mid-century 10" Delta bandsaw.
This came to me several years ago as an almost complete wreck. Motor was on its last legs and it would barely cut. It has sat in a corner of the shop, and I have slowly scrounged parts for it. Over the last couple weeks, I have put a fair amount of elbow grease into it. New tires, new guides, new blade, new TEFC motor, link belt, electrics and LED work lamp. I also added a 3/4" riser block so it will take modern standard length off-the-self blades.
Not a museum piece by any stretch, but it is a working piece. Hopefully ready for the next 50-60 years. 1/8" blade. This is the second BS in the shop. Currently have a 14" as well. This will fill streamline some current production inefficiencies. I'm happy with it- cuts like a hot knife through butter and with the mobile base in the stationary position, it runs smoothly enough that you can balance a nickel on edge with it running.

Mike Heidrick
06-08-2015, 10:53 PM
$300 from CL and met a neat WW guy who also loves big tools. I think we will be good friends.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/P6085966_zpsfdkhp14u.jpg

Mike Henderson
06-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Lie Nielsen dovetail marker for class. I have three of those now.

Mike

Martin Wasner
06-09-2015, 6:32 AM
new Steff eight speed, four roll power feeder. Ordered yesterday, should be at the shop today.

glenn bradley
06-09-2015, 8:40 AM
I use a small miter box for detail items. The saw is disposable and lasts a few years for about $10. Picked one up yesterday since I was near a Rocklers and the current replacement is getting tired.

Martin Wasner
06-09-2015, 6:19 PM
Ordered another Mirka Ceros today.
Not a tool, but the hardware order for today was $3800. ;(

Mike Chalmers
06-09-2015, 9:33 PM
Picked up my King Canada KC-OVS-F2 (Grizzly G1071). Looking forward to the increase of capability this and my King 6" Oscillating edge Sander will give me over my Ridgid EB4424 machine.

Shawn Crane Davies
06-10-2015, 6:24 AM
I picked up the PM100 I was looking for from a retired hobbiest. Plus I got to upgrade my Rockwell/Delta 6" jointer to a PM60 8". Original owner with paperwork and made in the USA :D (excuse the shop mess, building new walls and rearranging). I'm happy with my find.

Brian W Smith
06-10-2015, 7:06 AM
Last tool here(a month or so ago) was a Craftsman 618 metal lathe,bed.The cast feet and rack gear sold to offset the money.This is a "square way" bed.We use it for a variety of things,an offshoot of a "bench center".It fits nicely on our W/T,radial drill table,as well as a std 9x42 Bridgeport.

I cleaned it and shot ho-made krinkle black to the sides.It usually has a cpl big vee blocks on it.Googlefoo a Brown & Sharpe 730........the above is a much enlarged version of this.

Kent Adams
06-10-2015, 8:24 AM
I picked up the PM100 I was looking for from a retired hobbiest. Plus I got to upgrade my Rockwell/Delta 6" jointer to a PM60 8". Original owner with paperwork and made in the USA :D (excuse the shop mess, building new walls and rearranging). I'm happy with my find.

I really like that gold color used in the older PM.