PDA

View Full Version : Shaving (not wood)

Rick Moyer
06-03-2015, 5:36 PM
Anybody go from the multi-blade razors back to less complex, less expensive blades? I am thinking about getting a nice double edge razor and getting rid of my Gillette Sensor as I'm tired of buying the fancy replacement blades. I don't want to spend the money, however, if I'm going to see a remarkable drop in performance, i.e. more irritation. I have no desire for electric so no need to suggest that.

While on the subject: what do you prefer in shaving creams/gels?

Mel Fulks
06-03-2015, 5:51 PM
We have some straight razor users here who sparked my interest in it .Makes shaving a hobby! If you appreciate nuances of quality it might be for you. The modern shave gels are interesting in that they seem to be made for the modern coated multi blades only; some of them will almost instantly rust a straight razor.

George Bokros
06-03-2015, 6:10 PM
Yes those cartridges are expensive but you can use one for a month; I do, I dry them with the hair dryer, so @ $4 each that is only $1 a week. I have not seen double edge blades for some time.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-03-2015, 6:14 PM
I use a Dovo straight razor, and I love it, but it does require an investment: razor, strop, stones, badger hair brush, and soap. Since I already had the stones and strop, it was a painless transition. If I didn't have all that, I'd go to the old double-edge razor like you mention. My friend uses one and uses a Dovo straight razor, and he said really there is minimal difference between the two, which I have heard from others as well.

Brett Luna
06-03-2015, 6:15 PM
Anybody go from the multi-blade razors back to less complex, less expensive blades? I am thinking about getting a nice double edge razor and getting rid of my Gillette Mach 3 or whatever the model is as I'm tired of buying the fancy replacement blades. I don't want to spend the money, however, if I'm going to see a remarkable drop in performance, i.e. more irritation. I have no desire for electric so no need to suggest that.

I bailed out of the multi-blade wars years ago and committed to shaving with a straight razor. I still think about picking up a DE razor. I can't say that I saved any money with the SR, however, because it became somewhat of a hobby. First, I assembled my "starter kit": razor, strop, brush, mug, shave soap/cream, etc. They were all at the lower end of the cost scale, in case I didn't stick with it. Then I graduated to the "good stuff": a nice, limited edition razor; a premium badger brush; a latigo/linen strop; hand-thrown shaving scuttle; and more soaps/creams/balms/etc.

Whichever way you go, you may experience some irritation until you develop a technique that works for your face. Most adherents practice a multi-pass technique and until you get a feel for it, razor burn isn't uncommon.

I typically use a cake soap, re-milled into my mug and my favorites tend to contain tallow and/or wool fat. My current daily shave soap is "Marlborough" from D.R. Harris. My wife gifted me a 3-cake pack from Edwin Jaeger that was pretty nice. I also like Tabac.

I mostly use creams when I travel and then it's usually a Truefitt & Hill product because I can find it locally.

Regarding other brands:

You may find Col. Ichabod Conk products in your locale, which are just okay IMO. You may also find Art of Shaving products which I think are much better for a start. Proraso has been around for going on a century and is generally well-regarded in wet shaving forums.

Mel Fulks
06-03-2015, 6:16 PM
Twice,at least , I bought a razor and cartridges only to have them change the design . Not going to be forced to buy new razors to accommodate cartridge changes designed to sell new razor.

Larry Browning
06-03-2015, 6:23 PM
I have been ordering my blades fro a company called Harry's. I can make one blade last about 2 months (I shave 6 days a week too). I get those for about $2 a blade so that cost about $12 a year. To me I get a better, closer shave than I ever did with Gillette Fusion Trac II or what ever it is called. I also started using shave cream out of a tube rather than a pressurized can. I use a brand called Creamo Cream which I get a Wal-Mart for about $5 - $6 a tube and that lasts maybe 4-5 months. It takes a little getting used to, it goes on kinda like Desiton (the white stuff you put on a baby's butt for diaper rash) and it really lubricates the skin when mixed with water. So that's about $15 - $18 a year. Thirty bucks a years for shaving seems pretty reasonable to me.
Harrys.com (https://www.harrys.com/) Check them out.

Larry Browning
06-03-2015, 6:29 PM
Twice,at least , I bought a razor and cartridges only to have them change the design . Not going to be forced to buy new razors to accommodate cartridge changes designed to sell new razor.
I think for the most part, Gillette give away the handle, they make their money selling blades. At least twice I have received a razor handle and 1 blade in the mail from them. It worked too, I started buying their blades. That was several years ago though. (See my previous post)

Mike Cutler
06-03-2015, 7:03 PM
I buy the triple blades on sale when I see them. You gotta spend big to save, but it works out in the end.

I don't use any type of shaving cream or Gel. I Never got into the habit of using it when I was young, and it was just one more thing to pack in my sea bag, and try to find room for on a Sub.
I watched guys in the Navy try out single edge, and double edged razors. Didn't look like it was my cuppa'.

Chris Padilla
06-03-2015, 7:46 PM
I use Neutrogena Shave Cream (http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Sensitive-Shave-Cream-Ounce/dp/B005C4WPIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433374882&sr=8-1&keywords=neutrogena+shave+cream+men). This is more like a very light cream/lotion, no lather at all, and it take less that a dime-sized dollop so it lasts a long time. I used to shave every day until one day my face started becoming maddenly irritated from it. Now I shave M,W,F and use this cream and its happy again. I use Gillette twin-blades and buy in bulk (usually off eBay) to save. I think I have enough refills to last the next 2-3 years. :)

I've seen the ads from Harry's...always wondered about them. Thanks for the review, Larry.

Pat Barry
06-03-2015, 8:04 PM
When I shave with a razor I just use bar soap and hot water. Those gels / creams never really gave me any benefit and I still had to wash my face after to clean that crap off. Now its just a quick rinse with cold water and I'm done. I thin the multi-blade razors are the way to go though, I would hate to return to my shaving roots with the old double edge monster but I see Rick from Pawn Stars is now selling double edge razors on TV commercials for keeping his chrome dome shaved

Moses Yoder
06-03-2015, 8:05 PM
A double edge razor takes a little getting used to and becomes an interesting hobby. I did it for about 6 months then my life became complicated and I simplified my shaving. Plus, I cannot stand razor snobs. Those guys spend more money on a razor than I make in a week. It just drives me nuts. It doesn't bother me that I don't have that kind of money, it is the fact that if you don't have a $600 razor then you might as well not have been born. I found the shaving forums attitude a lot more like this than the WW boards are. Kind of like bragging about how much money you can waste. I posted a pic of a shaving brush I made and some guy made fun of it saying the handle was just right to really dig down into a shaving mug and I had purposely put a short handle on it for a shaving bowl.

Raymond Fries
06-03-2015, 8:12 PM
I went from a Mach3 to a vintage Gillette I got on ebay in December of 2013. I am still using the feather blades I bought to go with it. I love it. My wife also got one to replace her Venus razor.

Doug Ladendorf
06-03-2015, 8:25 PM
I have been ordering my blades fro a company called Harry's. ...
Harrys.com (https://www.harrys.com/) Check them out.

I tried Harry's about a year ago and switched. Have been using them since. The company bought a blade factory in Germany with the belief that razor blades are far more expensive than they need to be. They are about half the price and as good or better. I probably go about two months as well on a blade.

Doug

Jamie Buxton
06-03-2015, 8:55 PM
Shaving -- God's way of telling you to wear a beard.

Mel Miller
06-03-2015, 9:13 PM
Shaving -- God's way of telling you to wear a beard.

That works for me. I haven't been clean shaven for close to 50 years.

Mark Blatter
06-04-2015, 12:16 AM
I have been using disposable razors for 35+ years. I tried, at various times, the cartridge blades, but didn't seem to work as well and were more expensive. I have mostly used Schick Extremes. they run a little over $1 each, and I can get 10 - 14 days out of each one. Recently I tried a Bic blade that is under a buck and seems to work as good and lasts longer. I will never go back to an electric razor and the idea of mixing and sharpening blades just seems to complicated and time consuming. I prefer it as simple as possible, but to each their own.

As for gel, I found something works much better than actual shaving gel about 25 years ago. It is called Sunrider Kandesen shampoo. It has a fair bit of eucalyptus oil in it, plus something else that gives is a great smooth shave. it is not cheap, but a little goes a long way. I am one of those that shaves in the shower, so it makes it much easier to use.

Jason Roehl
06-04-2015, 7:34 AM
More is better! That's what I've found, anyway. I started with the twin blade razors in the '80s, switched to a triple when it came out in the early '90s, which I used for 20 years. Then my wife got a deal (probably free after coupons and the like) on the 5-blade Gillette Turbo Mach Fusion or whatever it's called. I love it. Current blade is pushing 4 weeks old, with probably 20 shaves on it. I can tell it's getting dull, but I can still get a good, close shave with it, so I'll keep going with it for a while. I also use the Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin shave cream, and since I wear a beard 6 months out of the year, a can lasts me well over a year. So that's maybe $30-35 for me to shave for the year, and it's quick and painless.

Rick Moyer
06-04-2015, 7:39 AM
Great info so far guys.

Brett Luna: any more insight on the advantages of "the good stuff" over the "starter kit"?

Jim Matthews
06-04-2015, 7:45 AM
I've never cut myself with a $.50 safety razor.

Properly lathered, these clean my beard just fine.
Look on the Target or grocery store end caps for sales.

While some swear by their morning ritual, stropping and all -
it's a time consuming luxury I can't afford.

I spend 50 cents a razor that lasts me a week, shaving every day.
I put up a fresh one just before Church.

That's under $30 a year.

Still haven't cut myself, either.

Doug Ladendorf
06-04-2015, 8:47 AM
On the subject of shaving but a little off topic, I'd be interested how you shave with these various blades. All the official advice is to shave with the grain. However, I don't find I get a close enough shave by only going with the grain and always make a pass against the grain. Mos of the time it's fine. Occasionally in tricky areas I get a bit of razor burn. How do you guys handle? Related, I recently found CeraVe lotion to be a great after shave soother. No scent or salad-like ingredients, and not greasy.

Rod Sheridan
06-04-2015, 8:59 AM
Hi Rick, I use the standard safety razor that takes the double edged blades. I pay about $20 for 100 blades which is a 2 year supply for me.

I find they're less irritating than the multi blade razors.

I use a shaving mug and brush for the shaving soap, you get the correct consistency and it's hot, and works into your beard really well with the brush.

I have 2 of those razors, one is about 60 years old and the other is about 3 years old. The new one is a Merkur 15C, made in Germany.

Here's a link to the store I use.

http://www.fendrihan.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7r-rBRDE_dXtgLz9-e4BEiQATeKG7JiuEZYo4zo5TLlwEkD5SnQTjBUw-_Smxuggm5BlUdIaAikV8P8HAQ

Regards, Rod.

Mike Ontko
06-04-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm a multi-blade user, having grown and graduated through Gillette Attra, Mach3, and now Fusion. Not because it's the latest technology but because it's the most efficient for me; less drag, fewer nicks and cuts, closer shave. The cost of the blades is outrageous, but they hold their edge for quite a while and I rinse them occasionally in alchohol. And, I use a mug and brush with Caswell & Massey "Greenbriar" soap discs. I've got a turned wooden dish that I use when travelling (unless I cave in to convenience and take along a 3oz bottle of Edge), and a ceramic "Shave Like a Sailor" (submarine service) mug for home use. I don't think I could ever user a straight razor--my fine motor skills aren't very well tuned at 4:30AM when I'm normally getting prepped for the day.

Chris Parks
06-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Disposable razors for me. I was always sceptical until I tried one and I have never looked back to expensive cartridges or worse still double sided blades in a safety razor. Disposables are very sharp and give me the best shave and they just seem to last forever. A pack would last me at least a year.

Eric DeSilva
06-04-2015, 10:40 AM
I use Neutrogena Shave Cream (http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Sensitive-Shave-Cream-Ounce/dp/B005C4WPIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433374882&sr=8-1&keywords=neutrogena+shave+cream+men).

+1 on the Neutrogena. Although I accidentally bought their "sensitive skin" shaving cream last time (I usually buy the insensitive version, I guess), which smells to me like stale beer. Not my favorite smell in the morning.

Chris Padilla
06-04-2015, 4:27 PM
+1 on the Neutrogena. Although I accidentally bought their "sensitive skin" shaving cream last time (I usually buy the insensitive version, I guess), which smells to me like stale beer. Not my favorite smell in the morning.

I just looked and I have the "sensitive skin" version...wasn't aware it came in any other version but I'll check that next time. I guess I never noticed the smell much but it seems fine to my nose. :) The wife doesn't say anything so I guess I'm good. :D

As to shaving style as posed by Doug, I used to shave in both directions: with the grain first and then against on the second pass. I always got a nice clean feel from that until my face started freaking out and now I rarely go against the grain anymore except on my neck where it is always a pain to get everything. It isn't very water conscious but I shave in the shower.

And to all you Grizzly Adams wannabes, if I could grow a decent beard/'stache, I would do it but I can't so I'm stuck shaving for the rest of my life.

Erik Loza
06-04-2015, 6:36 PM
....now I rarely go against the grain anymore except on my neck where it is always a pain to get everything...

Same here ^^^....

I have to go with the grain or get nasty razor rash and bumps and also, find the non-lathering gels better than foam.

On razors, still prefer the plain old Gillette Sensor. If they made one with a single blade rather than two, I would switch to that. Could never get down with the 3+ blades or whatever. The slimmest profile possible for shaving right around the nostrils.

Erik

Mike Henderson
06-04-2015, 8:07 PM
Disposable razors for me. I was always sceptical until I tried one and I have never looked back to expensive cartridges or worse still double sided blades in a safety razor. Disposables are very sharp and give me the best shave and they just seem to last forever. A pack would last me at least a year.
Me too. They're cheap, multibladed (3 for the ones I buy) and they last a long time. Don't understand why anyone would buy the more expensive blades.
I use Nivea Men and like it (it comes in a tube so it's good for travel). But I'll also use the Gillette gel and that works well for me.

Mike

Paul McGaha
06-04-2015, 8:15 PM
I've used (the same) Gillette Track II since 1977. I use Gillette shaving cream.

I have a very light beard, only have to shave every other day.

PHM

Mel Fulks
06-04-2015, 9:38 PM
I like the Gillette gel ,too,and would still use it had I not changed over to straight razor . The Gillette is one of the worst about rusting uncoated blades. Another example of how changing one thing ....changes everything.

Brett Luna
06-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Brett Luna: any more insight on the advantages of "the good stuff" over the "starter kit"?

Blade: like almost any woodworking tool, you can get a solid, bare bones shaver for a modest sum. There's nothing wrong with my basic Dovo starter that now sees duty in my travel kit. But some of the higher quality blades are better balanced, have better steel, or are just plain prettier and a pleasure to use. Some are full hollow ground, half hollow, or wedges. Some are even Damascus. You can pay as much as your wallet will bear but you don't have to go brand new, custom, or high dollar. As with handplanes, there are plenty of vintage blades out there at a reasonable price that you can refurbish. There are also folks on wet shaving forums who offer refurbs for sale at fair prices and many of the old hands recommend this as a good way to get started for not a lot of money. An added bonus of that is the blade will usually come to you well sharpened by someone who knows how to do it. Some online vendors offer sharpening with the sale of a new blade but otherwise, they come with a factory edge that isn't shave-ready.

Brush: generally speaking, as brush prices increase so does the quality of the knot. The hair is usually denser and they tend to shed less over their lifetime than their cheaper cousins. The Art of Shaving brush I started with was okay but a bit sparse and limp...too much so for cake soap, really. Like woodworking tools, again, there are deals to be found among the high quality brushes, too. My Rooney wasn't the most expensive in its class but it has held up very well for a few years now.

Soap/cream: this is largely personal preference. It's your face after all and you'll be the judge of what feels (and smells) good to you. You'll see all kinds of ingredients mentioned...like palm or vegetable tallow, wool fat or lanolin, etc...that are meant to produce a rich lubricating lather. Prices often (but not always!) reflect the quality of ingredients and manufacturing processes.

Strop: Another item subject to preference with choices like cow or horse leather; or cotton, linen, or nylon canvas. I started with a narrow Col. Conk model that I beat up pretty good through poor stropping technique. I know better now and I'm quite pleased with my full width latigo & linen 2-strop set from Tony Miller. He also offers a practice strop as an add-on.

So, this is my 'nice' kit:

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s1/v56/p1166674072-3.jpg (http://www.brettluna.com/img/s1/v56/p1166674072-5.jpg)

Heribert Wacker 15/16 "Antik" Spanish Point Limited Edition, #1 of 16, with blond horn scales
Rooney Model 1, size 2 "Super Silvertip" shaving brush
Tony Miller 3" Artisan latigo/linen strop
Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle (not pictured)

It's not the nicest one out there by any stretch and you can certainly get a baby-butt-smooth shave for much less...but it was a birthday gift to myself a few years ago and I indulged myself.

Mel Fulks
06-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Interesting, Brett. I have not tried a Dovo ,but they get pretty good reviews. Have you seen a 19th century wedge razor yet? On YouTube there are videos of guys sharpening hatchets and shaving with them. I now own an old wedge and I'm pretty sure it would be EASIER to shave with a hatchet. The wedge is just a collectible ,I wouldn't dare try to use it.

Scott Hearn
06-04-2015, 11:08 PM
I got sick of paying for the multi-blade wonders too. Picked up an old style safety razor at Target, a 100 pack of blades and some shave soap off of Amazon. I figure the $27 I spent on the soap and blades will last me over 2 years. So that's .25 cents a week or less. I spent that $27 every quarter with those 5 blade coated wonders. Shaving takes a bit longer but I don't care.

Brett Luna
06-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Interesting, Brett. I have not tried a Dovo ,but they get pretty good reviews. Have you seen a 19th century wedge razor yet?

I've seen and read about a few wedges but I don't know if any were that old. At least one was a new custom model. While they are interesting, they don't really appeal to me as a work-a-day razor.

Mel Fulks
06-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Anybody remember the Saturday Night Live mock razor commercial from years ago ? Featured a five blade razor when the
real stuff was two blade. Ended with " because you'll believe anything ". Yesterday's comedy is today's "high tech".

Doug Ladendorf
06-04-2015, 11:39 PM
Anybody remember the Saturday Night Live mock razor commercial from years ago ? Featured a five blade razor when the real stuff was two blade. Ended with " because you'll believe anything ". Yesterday's comedy is today's "high tech".

Yes, and it's hard not to laugh at today's razors because of it!

Al Launier
06-05-2015, 6:57 AM
I've been using the Gillette Trac II razor with Fusion Gel for years. Although I've tried razors with more blades (3,4...), but find they load up fast & gum up the blade slots, whereas the Trac II, with the two blades, is tolerable and each blade lasts about a month or so. I've also considered going back to the old 2-bladed safety Gillette razor, but find they are as expensive as the newer multi-blade models. I buy replacement Trac II blades online (eBay) at great prices.

Ole Anderson
06-05-2015, 8:34 AM
Interesting read. Me? Mostly beard, but I hit the cheeks and neck with a Norelco electric when I need to look cleaned up. Being retired now, that is about 3 times a week. Getting lazy. Always been a electric kind of guy, same in the shop, not too many Neanderthal style tools. That $80 razor will last about 10 years, so that is only 8 bucks a year. Throw in a quarter's worth of electricity in that time period. I can count on 10 fingers the number of times I have wet shaved in my life.

Ken Massingale
06-07-2015, 7:34 AM
Dollar Shave Club

Great razors and blades, super prices.

Sam Murdoch
06-07-2015, 8:25 AM
Tried Harry's - got about 6 shaves before I was scraping. I have one more from the sample kit and still can't decide if I want to try more. Pretty disappointing. Can get dozen shaves out of the Gillette Mach3 Turbos. Expensive :eek:

As much as I like playing with knives I can't ever see myself going to a straight razor. I'm never awake enough when I shave. :)

Alan Rutherford
06-07-2015, 6:57 PM
I'd stick with multi-blade. I'm old enough so I started shaving before disposables or multi-blade but I've been using multi-blade for a very long time. I have a beard and trim it once in a while. I use a Gillette Sensor Excel and a pack of blade cartridges lasts me a long time but IMO cheap disposables are just as good. Hand soap works but currently using up the Barbasol somebody left here.

Decades ago for some reason - maybe I was out of town without my razor - I bought a classic double-edged razor and blades and was very disappointed. Whether 2-3 blades are better than one or not, the multiblade razors shave better than traditional double-edge blades. Maybe they can make them sharper.

I get a kick out of the recent TV ads for double-edge razors. Maybe they found a bunch in a third-world country. I'm not buying. I can't speak for straight razors.

Get an old toothbrush and wipe out the multi-blades frequently. They get clogged before they get dull.

Tom Stenzel
06-07-2015, 7:30 PM
My only comment: Where is Dave Weaver when we need him?* Straight razors was the thing for him.

Nothing has changed for me since the last time we had this discussion. Same double edge razor I've used for decades, Meijer brand blades (used to be made in the USA, now Israel but seem to work the same), Barbasol shaving cream. Had a package of disposable razors but the wife and daughters heisted them to shave their legs.

-Tom

*Speaking of missing people, where has Winton Applegate been? This woodworking leper enjoyed puzzling out his mysterious runes ;-)

Paul Saffold
06-08-2015, 7:16 PM
I switched almost 4 years ago. I started shaving with a Gillette double edge so switching back from a Sensor was not a big deal. Prices for the cartridges got too obscene for me.
Merkur 34C double edge razor.Feather or Merkur blades, though I’m still using up my initial purchase of 100 Shark blades.
Taylor of Old Bond Street creme and a cheep Tweezerman brush. I could never go back to aerosol.

Roy Harding
06-08-2015, 8:13 PM
After 25 years in the military, when I retired, I couldn't WAIT to grow a beard. Easiest thing I ever did - people like the look, and compliment me on it; and all I had to do was NOTHING.

That said - again based on being in the Army; to get a closer shave, all you have to do is stand closer to the razor, no matter what type it is.

Kent Adams
06-08-2015, 9:22 PM
Anybody go from the multi-blade razors back to less complex, less expensive blades? I am thinking about getting a nice double edge razor and getting rid of my Gillette Sensor as I'm tired of buying the fancy replacement blades. I don't want to spend the money, however, if I'm going to see a remarkable drop in performance, i.e. more irritation. I have no desire for electric so no need to suggest that.

I use my low angle block plane, works great! :)

Gordon Eyre
06-08-2015, 11:30 PM
About a year ago I grew a mustache and goatee so this has cut down my shaving quite a bit. I still shave the sides every other day or so and use a five blade razor. It lasts a long time and I have also quit using shaving cream so my costs are way down. I just use warm water on my face and it works fine. I have not had any irritation what so ever but I would guess that a full shave may still require some kind of shaving gel or cream.

Rick Moyer
06-15-2015, 5:11 PM
Well I jumped in chin first< sorry> and ordered the following: Muhle 89 Grande, EJ Super Badger shaving brush, D.R. Harris shaving soap, and an assorted blade pack. Haven't received shipping notice yet, expect to receive next week though.

Larry Browning
06-15-2015, 5:36 PM
Awesome! Good luck! I would have ordered a styptic stick and band aids too! I am sure I would be cutting myself until I learned how to use that razor.

Rick Moyer
07-08-2015, 4:22 PM
I tried to post some pics to this thread but could not for some reason, so HERE http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233026-Shaving-Stand is the stand I made for my newly purchased shaving products.

Darrin Johnson
07-08-2015, 9:47 PM
Google Dorco. Cheap, last a long time.

Rod Sheridan
07-09-2015, 8:24 AM
I tried to post some pics to this thread but could not for some reason, so HERE http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233026-Shaving-Stand is the stand I made for my newly purchased shaving products.

Very nice Rick, I may have to make myself one now..............Regards, Rod.

Rich Engelhardt
07-09-2018, 8:46 AM
Anything new on this in the last couple/three/four/five years?

I grew a beard when I retired back in 2011 & now, 7 years later I find myself disliking the beard more than I disliked shaving.

My wife (she liked my beard) picked up some disposable razors that, I swear to heaven,,,,,,are made from old scrap sea shells (Like Fred and Barney used) & tear my face up something fierce.

I figured I'd start my search here since I recalled a thread about shaving once upon a time.

Anyone using the Dollar Shave Club?

John C Cox
07-09-2018, 9:17 AM

I know many guys who have done exactly what you are talking about. They ditched the $7/week Gillette habit and moved back to an old fashioned "Safety Razor".

Generally - if you start with a reasonably modern Gillette or American Safety Razor housing - available disposable double edge razor blades work fine. You can still buy new housings - but old ones are available all over the place for $20-$30.

And quality new production double edge blades are available all over the place including in supermarkets.

My brother and my friends who use these love Feather brand blades - especially the super expensive coated blades... But my Brother generally shaves with CVS blades due to cost....

Yonak Hawkins
07-09-2018, 10:53 AM
... smells to me like stale beer. Not my favorite smell in the morning.

Ah, the days of matriculation.

John K Jordan
07-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Shaving is such a pain I try not to do it all at once.

JKJ

Mel Fulks
07-09-2018, 12:25 PM
I hope that's not an ingredient in the alpaca hair.

John K Jordan
07-09-2018, 1:08 PM
I hope that's not an ingredient in the alpaca hair.

The alpaca fleece is pure alpaca. How much do you want? It spins very nicely into yarn.

roger wiegand
07-09-2018, 1:55 PM
Razors? We don't need no steenking razors!

My darling wife of 38 years has never seen my chin. I've long forgotten what it looks like.

Matt Schrum
07-09-2018, 2:04 PM
I have one of the old school double edge razors and it works well-- if I don't let things get too out of control. I find it isn't always the best if I go for 3-5 days without shaving, then try to use it. The hair gets loo long and it won't get them all in the first pass. Otherwise, I've completely switched over to disposable straight blade razors (only the blade is disposable) for my bald noggin' and face. It works well, but there was a learning curve. For the first few weeks, it looked like I pissed off an army of tiny ninjas-- especially on the left side (until that hand figured out what it was doing). Now I can shave my head and face in one go and probably have a single nick 50% of the time. Besides the low cost, the nice thing is that I can take off a full 6-month beard in one pass. It's a single blade, there's nothing to clog.

As far as costs, a $30 blade supply lasts me a couple of years, and that's changing blades every week or so. On top of that, blades are available about everywhere if you travel to any far out places (that's how I got started-- got stuck in the Sahara for a few months and the only little store carried only straight razor blades).

John K Jordan
07-10-2018, 12:08 AM
Razors? We don't need no steenking razors!
My darling wife of 38 years has never seen my chin. I've long forgotten what it looks like.

Once I shaved my beard off after 20 years.
- I went to work and two people immediately said the same thing: "Grow it back"
- My kids didn't recognize me.
- My dog growled at me.
- My wife was not happy. People kept telling me "You look 10 years younger", "You look 10 years younger." She didn't have a beard to shave off so she could look 10 years younger.

JKJ

John Ziebron
07-10-2018, 12:53 AM
I'm on my third beard, but this one is 47 years old. I do shave the upper sides for a clean line and a bit around the neck. I used to use the Bic disposable razors but when Gillette came out with the double blade Excel razor that's what I started using and still do.

I buy my blades in large quantities (cheaper that way) off eBay. You have to be careful though because there are many "non-genuine" blades being sold. I know that's true for the Excel blades and probably other brands as well. You can Google it for more information on how to tell the difference.

Even though I'm only shaving about half my face my blades will last for weeks due to a little trick I discovered a few years ago. Like most of us I run water to keep the blade rinsed after one or two strokes. And for years I've used an old toothbrush to brush the blades under running water when done. But then I read something about the microscopic properties of steel (stainless in our case) and rust. So now after my final rinse of the blade and shaking as much water off as I can I added a couple of good puffs of air real close to the edges of the blades. Ever since I started doing that a couple of years ago I discovered my blades (from the same batch) are lasting twice as long.

BTW, if it makes a difference, I don't use any shaving lotion or gel. Just warm skin, usually from showering, and a blade warmed from hot water.

Rich Engelhardt
07-10-2018, 3:49 AM
BTW, if it makes a difference, I don't use any shaving lotion or gel.That's ironic since one of the reasons I shaved my beard off a few months ago was the stock of shaving cream I had. just before I retired, my wife bought close to a dozen cans of shaving cream for me. Having all those cans just sitting on the shelf - bugged me. I decided to shave my beard off after letting it go for 7 years & now I can get rid of those stupid cans!
:D :D

FWIW though, I did at one point just take a razor and small mirror into the shower with me and shave without any lather. I sort of "outgrew" that though as I got older and my beard got "tougher".
If I tried that now, my face would probably look like raw hamburger :(.

Matt Marsh
07-10-2018, 8:27 AM
I used the same Gillette Atra for over 25 years, but about a year ago decided that the blades were way too expensive. I went with ShaveMOB.com. Other than all of these new razors having a strange flat angle to them, I'm satisfied with the results. ShaveMOB has no membership or hidden fees, you just order your choice of three different types of blades, whenever you need them.

Al Launier
07-10-2018, 9:03 AM
WOW! This thread has really gathered a lot of attention. Adding my preference, I have tried the multi-blade razors & found they clog quickly, each time going back to my Gillette Trac-II that I've had for many, many years. It doesn't clog at all like the others, plus the handle/cutting head has a better angle & feel to it.

I used the Trac-II blades from Gillette blade with it until I decided to buy a package of Pasona blades made for the Trac-II (https://www.ebay.com/p/Razor-Blades-Replacement-Twin-Blade-Compatible-Gillettes-Trac-2-Types-100-Pcs/691168607?iid=382496587101&chn=ps). It was a good deal for a 100 pack, although a bit risky leaving my old stand-by blades. They cut great! In fact these blades cut more smoothly than the Gillette Trac-II blades. So far, each blade has lasted for three month providing a smonther shave than the Trac-II.

With this razor & blade I use the Edge shaving Gel.

Roger Nair
07-10-2018, 10:21 AM
For nearly five years, I have used a Merkur DE safety razor with Personna SS blades and Proraso shaving soap. I could not be happier. The razor is three piece and rinsing and cleaning is easy, without bother, just screw out the handle. Shaving is quick and clean, the razor is never mucked or clogged. The blades are cheap, last purchase was about $13/100, much more than a years supply. Proraso makes a good slick lather with a eucalyptsis scent. I have a cheap badger brush about $20. A stand for brush and razor is highly recommended. The DE razor should last a lifetime, the brush should be good for at least a decade, a hundred pack of blades maybe two years and shaving soap a good long time. I will not go back to disposable razors as long as blades are available.

Holographics could be the next Gillette innovation, electronic flag men could guard the bathroom door an post up "SLOW MAN WORKING" signs.

Bert Kemp
07-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Funny no 0ne seems to use an electric shaver. I tried one many years ago and found they don't do a good job, guess thats why no one uses them LOL, then I went the cheap twin blade route , bought bulk but was not happy with that shave either. I now use the dollar shave club and it cost me about a buck a month to get a decent shave.

Bill Carey
07-10-2018, 12:00 PM
I have been ordering my blades fro a company called Harry's.

I've been using Harry's for a couple of years and been very happy with the products. One weird thing is that Harry's does not recommend using their razor to shave your head. And I could never get them to tell me why that is. Probably some stupid lawsuit or something, because I've been shaving my head with their stuff all along. Nary a scratch or a problem. Matter of fact, I have a beard so that's all I use it for.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-10-2018, 2:19 PM
I find that my skin is sensitive. I have used the Gillette Fusion sensitive shaving gel. I have used a few different versions:

https://gillette.com/en-us/products/pre-and-post-shave/shaving-cream/fusion-hydra-gel-ultra-sensitive-shave-gel

https://gillette.com/en-us/products/pre-and-post-shave/shaving-creams-gels-and-foams/fusion-proglide-sensitive-ocean-breeze-shave-cream

First note that I shower before I shave since it makes it easier to shave (because my whiskers have been soaking up some water I suppose).

I tried Harry's, and it worked poorly. I think that part of that had to do with how well the blades worked with the shaving cream that I use, but, I had not considered that until after I gave the razor to a friend who likes it. My primary problem was that the area between the blades almost immediately clogged, which means that they stopped working well. I was able to clear it, but, it took a lot longer and required more work.

I also noticed that when I checked reviews, they all pretty much said the same two things.

Not as good as the top Gillette blades.
Very good for the money (read, cheaper than the Gillette blades).

So it all seemed to be about getting a good shave while spending less than if you purchased Gillette top of the line. I do not spend that much on blades, so I finally decided to just keep using what seems to work best for me as opposed to "hey, this is a bit cheaper but does not work as well".

Mike Henderson
07-10-2018, 3:05 PM
I use the Gillette disposable plastic razors that I buy at Costco (and other places) in packs of 50 or so. They do a good job and are reasonably priced. If I remember correctly, they have three blades.

Mike

Brett Luna
07-10-2018, 6:15 PM
I bailed out of the multi-blade wars years ago and committed to shaving with a straight razor. I still think about picking up a DE razor.

...and I did pick up a DE razor, just about a year ago: a Merkur HD 84C, along with a 100-pk of Astra Platinum blades. Happy with both.

Rick Moyer
07-10-2018, 6:35 PM
I started this thread over three years ago. I am happy with my decision to go DE and shaving soap/brush. I have since added a shaving bowl to hold whatever creams/soaps I choose. Iliked the Feather blades for their sharpness but found I cut myself more with them. Currently using Persona blades which are less expensive (relative, they're all reasonably cheap).
I actually sometimes enjoy the experience now, something about a nicer shave and the "old-school" way of doing it. More satisfying.

Joe Mioux
07-10-2018, 9:29 PM
Thirty-five plus years ago while in college, I quit shaving in the sink and switched to shaving in the shower. I couldn't get a comfortable non bloody shave, It seemed liked hundreds of nicks. It was worse in the winter.

Razors morphed into the five blade version and I usually use them for a month. Recently, I gave up shaving cream and just use soap or shampoo. I spent a little time figure out how my wiskers laid and now i just shave "against the grain" sideburns get shaved in an upward movement, the cheeks a sideways motion from the ear to the mouth, upper lip and chin are sort of easy to figure out. Neck I shave in several different motions depending on the part of the neck.

Perry Hilbert Jr
07-10-2018, 10:12 PM
A couple years ago, the today show did a shaving test for men and as I recall, the old fashioned safety razor beat the others for smoothness or result. I used a double edge safety razor all through college and grad school. Somewhere I switched to a multi blade razor and used the latest Gillette offerings for the past 40 years. I just happened upon a new (old stock) safety razor and ordered some blades for it. We'll see when the blades get here.

About four years ago, I took my daughter to catch a train at Union Station in Washington DC. There is a small shopping mall in the station with about 40 shoppes. One was a shop selling only shaving supplies, straight razors, safety razors, multi blade, old fashioned shaving brushes, mugs and soap, etc. Hard to believe a store could do a business on such a limited nche.

Rod Sheridan
07-11-2018, 8:02 AM
About four years ago, I took my daughter to catch a train at Union Station in Washington DC. There is a small shopping mall in the station with about 40 shoppes. One was a shop selling only shaving supplies, straight razors, safety razors, multi blade, old fashioned shaving brushes, mugs and soap, etc. Hard to believe a store could do a business on such a limited nche.

Hi Perry, the mall near my house has a store that sells similar wares, however I deal with a mail order place that carries shaving stuff.

I also use a double edge safety razor, great shave, blades are about 20 cents each. For those interested here's the company I use.

https://www.fendrihan.ca/

regards, Rod.

Curt Harms
07-12-2018, 7:27 AM
I use Bic razors with replaceable cartridges. 3 blades and they work as well as anything I've tried. There's enough room between the blades that they're not clog prone and seem to stay sharp for a long time. Our local super market used to carry them but didn't have them last time I looked. I see Bic is bringing out a new line so maybe that's why. A plastic handle and 6 blades cost around $7.00. I've tried various blade count razors and find these to be the sweet spot. I tried Bic disposables and for whatever reason didn't like them as well. For lube, if I take shower beforehand, regular bar hand soap works as well as anything I've tried. If I don't take a shower first nothing I've tried works well.

Brandon Thill
07-12-2018, 12:03 PM
A couple years ago I tried a bunch of different razors as my skin was changing and I couldn't get that close shave with my disposables anymore. After trying a bunch I finally got the top Gillette that even has a vibrating head! Was only marginally better than my disposables (and blades were spendy). With nothing to lose I tried a Merkur DE safety razor and haven't looked back. Had to change methods: multiple short strokes vs one long stroke with the "conventional" blades. Also moved to an Edwin Jagger because it had a cool black knurled grip. Astra Platinum blades are relatively cheap and box will last you for years.

Tom Stenzel
07-13-2018, 5:20 PM
Nothing has changed since the last time I checked in. Well, I might have changed the blade in the razor but don't hold me to it.

Since chemo left me with neuropathy in my fingers I imagine any experiments with a straight razor would go like this:

(Someone peeking in the bathroom): "'Whatever it is, it can't be that bad! Remember you have family! Friends! Well, family anyway. Just put down the blade and let's talk!"

I think I'll just stay with the safety razor.

-Tom

Rich Engelhardt
07-13-2018, 6:43 PM
I believe I might go back to a good old saftey (DE) razor. My grandfather gave me one of his old ones years (probably 50/55) ago that I haven't seen in probably 45 years.
I see a lot of people here say the shave closer & with less irritation. I'm all for that!

Matt Meiser
07-15-2018, 10:48 PM
Anyone using the Dollar Shave Club?

I've been using them for a couple years now. I'm happy. I really like their Shave Butter too. I find the blade supply to be way too many on their schedule, but they send an email a few days before shipping and its very easy to skip a box (or add extras) with no penalty.

Rich Engelhardt
07-22-2018, 5:44 AM
Well - the delivery guy dropped off my brand new DE safety razor yesterday & I couldn't wait until this morning rolled around & I could give it a try.

Two things - I forgot how close and smooth and comfortable shaving could be. I really wonder why I got away from this and went to a BIC when disposables first came out!
2nd - I forgot to order a styptic pencil along with the razor and blades! LOL! I forgot all about how super easy it is to let that big old head go sideways on your face! :D

Yonak Hawkins
07-22-2018, 10:29 AM
I forgot to order a styptic pencil along with the razor and blades! :D

Why put up with it ? Is getting that close of a shave that important ? A man's facial hair will be back by lunchtime. Use an electric shaver and make it easy on yourself.

Rich Engelhardt
07-23-2018, 3:19 AM
Electric - - OUCH!!

My skin is super sensitive & the couple times I used an electric were experiments in agony.
I had such a nasty rash on my neck I couldn't wear a shirt with a collar for days.

A close shave is a side benefit of a DE shaver.
Comfort is the main reason to use a DE blade. A DE blade is much, much, much sharper than the ones they put in a disposable.
You just have to pay attention to what you're doing is all.

Brandon Thill
07-23-2018, 7:18 AM
Get one of those sampler packs of blades. The differences are pretty large. Feathers and Astras were the best of the bunch for me. Settled on the Astras because they were more forgiving than the super sharp Feathers but still gave just as close of a shave.

Rod Sheridan
07-24-2018, 8:14 AM
Electric - - OUCH!!

My skin is super sensitive & the couple times I used an electric were experiments in agony.
I had such a nasty rash on my neck I couldn't wear a shirt with a collar for days.

A close shave is a side benefit of a DE shaver.
Comfort is the main reason to use a DE blade. A DE blade is much, much, much sharper than the ones they put in a disposable.
You just have to pay attention to what you're doing is all.

That's for sure Rich.

I use a Merker DE razor with Astra blades, as Brandon has also recommended.

The hot shaving soap off the brush is great as well as I can make it thinner than aerosol foams...........Rod.

michael langman
07-25-2018, 10:24 AM
I went back to my old DE razor a few years ago. I like the Williams shaving soap with my own brush.
I found a package of 100 Gillette DE blades made in Russia for a very reasonable price. Should last me till the end of my time.
Better shave and much cheaper then disposables.