PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Container for Mixing Finishes

Brian Kent
06-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Gelato containers are small, seal well, let you see the product…

And when you throw one away you have to replace it by buying more gelato.

This particular blend is poly and oil and thinner - and / or Caramel Cookie Crunch. :D

Roger Chandler
06-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Good use for repurposing a container, Brian.............I usually put an old towel on the ways of my bed when I finish something on the lathe.......it seems to keep it a lot cleaner than if I just allow it all to drip........do you do the same?

Nice bowl in progress there!

Brian Kent
06-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Yes, usually. Recently I forgot and had a rather slippery situation. In the photo the towel was removed for photo purposes :).

Prashun Patel
06-03-2015, 12:49 PM
Yes, talenti! I just discovered this myself.

If if you are mixing a finish for single use, yogurt cups are a healthier alternative (unless you like Fage brand)

Doug Herzberg
06-03-2015, 3:18 PM
I've been using Talenti containers for all sorts of things, like storing 2" sanding disks, and only recently tried liquids. I can't seem to tighten the lid enough to prevent evaporation of DNA based finishes. Has anyone come across a solvent which dissolves the Talenti plastic? I prefer a squirt bottle for finishes applied at the lathe, but I'll try the Talenti jars, since I have a lot of them.

Prashun Patel
06-03-2015, 3:44 PM
I doubt their very good for long term storage of liquids. They're good to last during a project.

Lately, I've taken to using (don't laugh) Specimen cups for single use mixings. You can get them for a song on Ebay.

Urine good company if you start using them.

Brian Kent
06-03-2015, 4:45 PM
I posted this on Facebook and my professor friend recommended the same thing. I assume they have really good seals.

I mix up enough for a series that I'll use in the next several days.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-03-2015, 5:20 PM
Urine good company if you start using them.

LOL You've been full of puns!

Brian Kent
06-03-2015, 5:36 PM
That's funny.
Doug, where do you get squirt bottles?

Roger Chandler
06-03-2015, 5:45 PM
That's funny.

I bought a 3 pack with measuring quantities stamped on the sides in ounces............at Harbour Freight.........don't remember exactly but about 3 bucks.

Doug Herzberg
06-03-2015, 6:55 PM
That's funny.

I bought one at Woodcraft, but I think I paid too much. It kept my WTF fresh for a long time, though. I found several on Amazon around a dollar each, which is when I got hung up on what dissolves what. No sense buying them if they are dissolved by lacquer thinner or DNA or MS and that's what I want to store. I found this online, but haven't had time to compare with the bottles on Amazon: http://sevierlab.vet.cornell.edu/resources/Chemical-Resistance-Chart-Detail.pdf.

Thomas Canfield
06-03-2015, 9:39 PM
My cardboard ice cream containers don't work, my yogurt is the pint size with snap on lid. I do use plastic bottles from http://www.dharmatrading.com/tools/squeeze-bottles-yorker-spouts-and-caps.html and they work pretty well for Danish oil type mix, shellac, etc.

robert baccus
06-03-2015, 11:42 PM
I use clear plastic jars like peanut butter and mayo to keep premixed lacquer, sanding sealer ect ready for the gun. They do not leak or dissolve.

Mark Greenbaum
06-04-2015, 7:09 AM
I used acetone to remove the ink from the outside with no harm to the canister. We've been saving them for about a year, and I will make a hardware rotisserie out of them soon. I wish I could find a good container with screw on lids that have a square base shape - saves more space on the shelves, and could stack sideways.