PDA

View Full Version : G0766 lathe on my truck heading home

Randy Red Bemont
06-03-2015, 10:33 AM
I just picked up my 0766 from UPS freight and headed home with it. Very excited. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Red

Rich Sabulsky
06-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Cant wait. Please love it so I can justify ordering one! :)

I just picked up my 0766 from UPS freight and headed home with it. Very excited. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Red

Cary Falk
06-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Now we're getting somewhere!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Red Bemont
06-03-2015, 12:21 PM
I can't get the photo's to upload. I keep getting upload failed. I'll try again later.

Red

Roger Chandler
06-03-2015, 12:31 PM
I got a call from the guy at Grizzly in Missouri, and he said my lathe was at the local terminal. I called there and they say it is in Pittsburgh.....and will likely not arrive until Friday morning early! Post some pics, Randy!!! :)

Cary Falk
06-03-2015, 12:32 PM
I can't get the photo's to upload. I keep getting upload failed. I'll try again later.

Red
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Scott Brandstetter
06-03-2015, 1:15 PM
And we have a winner. First to arrive.

Hey Red, before uploading, go into pictures and select the ones you want. Reduce the quality level and hopefully they load. Thats what I have to do

Randy Red Bemont
06-03-2015, 1:38 PM
Well, I got two of the pics to load. I'm taking the crate apart in my garage then tonight I will back around to the workshop and unload. Should be pretty easy.

Red

Randy Red Bemont
06-03-2015, 1:43 PM
Sorry about the piece meal pics. At least they are loading.

Red

Mark Greenbaum
06-03-2015, 1:45 PM
OOO-WEEE - that looks saweeet. No I am really getting anxious - Mid-July only 5.5 weeks away. Lots to do in the meantime.

Roger Chandler
06-03-2015, 2:20 PM
That is a pretty spiffy looking piece of equipment there, Red!!! I think we are going to like them! ;) Pretty nice packing crate as well.........you can repurpose that and put it to good use!

Roger Chandler
06-03-2015, 2:54 PM
Red..........is there a through hole in the handwheel and quill? How about a pic from the end of the tailstock looking towards the headstock? If it is, it should be .393 inches like the 18/47 G0733

Mark Greenbaum
06-03-2015, 3:09 PM
hole thru for vacuum chuck?

Randy Red Bemont
06-03-2015, 3:30 PM
Red..........is there a through hole in the handwheel and quill? How about a pic from the end of the tailstock looking towards the headstock? If it is, it should be .393 inches like the 18/47 G0733

Yes there is. It looks to be a very nice machine. After supper tonight I'm going to clean her up and install the legs.

Red

Klaus Waldeck
06-03-2015, 3:31 PM
That's not nearly as gigantic as I thought it would be. I'm thinking it will be easier to move into my basement than I originally feared.

In the age of internet "first posts," you take the cake with "first new lathe!"

daryl moses
06-03-2015, 3:43 PM
Great looking lathe Randy. Can't wait for you to make some shavings.

Randy Red Bemont
06-03-2015, 4:13 PM
I guess I should mention also that I brought this beast into my workshop by myself. I backed up close to the workshop door (within 20') and with two work benches I slid the lathe from my truck onto one bench then leapfrogged the benches while sliding the lathe across all the way into my workshop. Not easy but it works!! I didn't want to chance a thunderstorm tonight and not be able to unload until tomorrow.

The finish of the bed also looks very nice.

Red

Scott Brandstetter
06-03-2015, 4:36 PM
Red
You are killing me. What's with the after dinner stuff. For goodness sake, have a sandwich brought to you. There is no time to stop. LOL

It sure looks like a heck of a machine. I am not sure I will sleep tonight.....that's right......I said it.

Can't wait to get more updates.

Scott Brandstetter
06-03-2015, 4:40 PM
Red, when you get a chance, can you show a pic of the plug on the machine. I am running my wiring for the machine tonight and want to make sure I get the correct outlet. Thanks in advance.

Randy Red Bemont
06-03-2015, 4:51 PM
Sure Scott, here you go. Your only a 6+ hour drive from me. Come on over!

Red

James Conrad
06-03-2015, 5:23 PM
Nice Randy, congrats on being the first to get mits on the real deal! I probably won't see mine until Monday as it will likely have to be handed off to a local delivery company on the Cape. Which is fine, I have to finish cleaning the shop and run some wire anyway. Glad to see these finally make here!

Roger Chandler
06-03-2015, 5:42 PM
Red, when you get a chance, can you show a pic of the plug on the machine. I am running my wiring for the machine tonight and want to make sure I get the correct outlet. Thanks in advance.

Scott.........that is a nema 6-15 plug, and all the electrical hookup info can be found at Grizzly's website, in the manual, page 12......they even have pics! I would recommend a dedicated 20 amp circuit, although a 15 amp will suffice.

Dale Bonertz
06-03-2015, 5:52 PM
I have been following you folks posts on this machine but forget if it is a two or three HP unit?

Roger Chandler
06-03-2015, 5:55 PM
I have been following you folks posts on this machine but forget if it is a two or three HP unit?

3 hp Dale.....

Randy Red Bemont
06-03-2015, 7:11 PM
Last of my pics for tonight. I have it assembled and let it run for about 5 minutes. Very nice! Tomorrow I'll get it set right where I want it.

Red

Roger Chandler
06-03-2015, 7:27 PM
Randy.........just remember that some of the parts on this lathe are machined to metric specs.........like the tool rest post. It is stated to be 25mm which is just a tiny bit under an inch. If you use aftermarket rests, sometimes what is listed as a 1" post may be off by a couple of milimeters.....I had one that was .005 over 1" and one that was .003 over! That was the case with my former G0698, and I believe also the G0733 18/47 lathes.

A pass with a 1" drill bit will open that banjo hole up if you go with aftermarket rests or already have some you used with another lathe..........use some oil to lubricate the bit and if you can use a drill press for accuracy.

Also, the inserts on some of my Nova chuck did not go all the way to the shoulder of the spindle on my G0698. What I and some other owners did was take a file and hold it flat against the outside diameter of the spindle shoulder at about 500-600 rpm, and took a smidgen off there.

I would not do these things until you are certain you are going to keep the lathe.......modifying it might cause warranty issues if you want to send the unit back to Grizzly.........which I highly doubt! :D

Cary Falk
06-03-2015, 7:37 PM
Red,
When you get a chance, can you give me the distance between the 2 ledges on the legs to the bottom of the bed. Aslo the narrowest distance betweenthe legs. I want to know what sixe of tool chest will fit under the lathe with a ballast box.
Thanks,
Cary

Steve Mawson
06-03-2015, 8:55 PM
This is more fun than Christmas morning. Congrats on the first machine delivered and all the good photo's and information that came with it. This has to be one of the most talked about machines I have ever been exposed to and I am enjoying the ride. Had to look up where Nebo is located, have been very close many times back in the 90's. Looking forward the the first turning!!

Tim Leiter
06-03-2015, 9:29 PM
I have been reading all of these posts regarding this new Griz lathe. Nice to see one actually delivered and it looks great! You will have a lot of fun with them guys.
Tim.

Len Mullin
06-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Randy, how the h e double hockey sticks can you have this lathe set-up like this, and not already have a block of wood turning away on it? You've got way more patience than I do, if I owned that sucker, I think I would have a hard time going to bed before I had it up and running. You know your killing us, don't you?
Len

Scott Brandstetter
06-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Len, very funny, and very true. I have a feeling Randy, or Red as I have been calling him (not 100% sure what he goes by) has more patience and calm than I do. Mine is coming in tomorrow between 9am and 3Pm. If I am in bed before 1am tomorrow, I will be shocked. But, I don't have the sense that Randy, Red, does. Set it up, make sure all parts are there, make sure it has power, then come back when rested to put it through it's paces.

I also saw that Randy, Red, didn't have any help moving the lathe and getting it setup. I'm not sure, if that was me, that I would have even been able to accomplish what he did, by himself, in a day.

Dennis Collier
06-03-2015, 10:36 PM
I did the same as Red today. Got mine in the shop, put together and ran it for a few and played with all the buttons but I wont get a piece of wood on it before Fri. After tomorrow, I don't go back to work until the 15th so I have plenty of time to play!!

I dunno how he did that by himself. Took me, my brother and a buddy to get mine in the basement shop and set up!

Mark Greenbaum
06-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Yowser, that's so pretty. Congratulations on being the 1st to post "deer on the hood" pictures. Like opening day, with a big buck in your sights. I am getting so anxious. I will need to get a 220v 20 amp circuit breaker and some wire strung out to get ready for mine. An electrical engineer at work said I could by SO 12-2 cord at big box store, since it'll be a temporary line (if we sell the house). I also wonder if the Rock & Roll mobile ase for PM will fit it, because I'll need to shuffle it out of the way when not in use.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mob-lift

Dok Yager
06-04-2015, 12:49 AM
SWEET! Very nice Randy. Thanks for all the great pic`s!

Cary Falk
06-04-2015, 5:33 AM
I also wonder if the Rock & Roll mobile ase for PM will fit it, because I'll need to shuffle it out of the way when not in use.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mob-lift

I am going to try to weld one up after my lathe arrives. It looks simple enough once you get the wheel mechinism worked out. I will post the details if anybody is interested.

Mark Greenbaum
06-04-2015, 7:12 AM
Yes, please post any pics or drawings so I can replicate one myself. Our woodturning club had someone locally make mobile bases for the big Oneway, and PM 3520, so I can post pics of those if anyone is interested (later).

I am going to try to weld one up after my lathe arrives. It looks simple enough once you get the wheel mechinism worked out. I will post the details if anybody is interested.

Roger Chandler
06-04-2015, 7:39 AM
Well it seems that my lathe arrived at the terminal overnight, so after a cup of coffee, I will be on my way to pick it up.....I just hope this rain goes away, but I have a tarp and if needed an enclosed cargo trailer.

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 8:07 AM
I go by Red.

It went well getting it into the shop by myself. I have a walkout basement shop. The lathe was in the back of my truck. I have two work benches the same height so I dragged the lathe onto one bench then just kept leapfrogging the benches until the lathe was about where I wanted it to go. Not easy but it works. I then did the assembly. I will mess around with it some today when I can squeeze in the time. I haven't turned on a lathe since 1978 ish so nothing fancy coming from me anytime soon.

I hope to hear good things from everybody as they assemble their lathes. Fit and finish so far looks great. Enjoy!!

Red

carl mesaros
06-04-2015, 8:45 AM
Last of my pics for tonight. I have it assembled and let it run for about 5 minutes. Very nice! Tomorrow I'll get it set right where I want it.

Red

Congratulations on your new machine. The motor looks identical to my Laguna 2436. Also I notice the VFD is covered as is mine.
Is there a small box (cooling) fan that you can hear running when the machine is plugged in?
My Laguna has one and it runs constantly as long as the machine is plugged in.

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 8:54 AM
Congratulations on your new machine. The motor looks identical to my Laguna 2436. Also I notice the VFD is covered as is mine.
Is there a small box (cooling) fan that you can hear running when the machine is plugged in?
My Laguna has one and it runs constantly as long as the machine is plugged in.

Yes Carl there is. I didn't know what that noise was but a fan makes perfect sense.

Red

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 9:15 AM
Red,
When you get a chance, can you give me the distance between the 2 ledges on the legs to the bottom of the bed. Aslo the narrowest distance betweenthe legs. I want to know what sixe of tool chest will fit under the lathe with a ballast box.
Thanks,
Cary

OK Cary let see if this all makes sense.

Top ledge length is 64 1/4" long. Bottom ledge length is 64 3/4".

From bottom of bed to bottom of top ledge is 7". From bottom of bed to bottom of bottom ledge is 22 1/2".

Narrowest part between legs is 52 1/4" which is up at the top of the legs.

I hope it all makes sense. These may be tight measurements so give a little wiggle room in case some lathes are a little different.

Red

Klaus Waldeck
06-04-2015, 9:19 AM
That plug doesn't look like the outlet I've got. Is that a standard 220 plug like a dryer would use?

Also wanted to say "hi" to Mr. Conrad. When you said "Cape" I figured you were one of the closest members of this forum to me.

Cary Falk
06-04-2015, 9:34 AM
From bottom of bed to bottom of top ledge is 7". From bottom of bed to bottom of bottom ledge is 22 1/2".

I was with you until here. Did you mean roughly 22.5" from floor to bottom of the bed and the ledge is 7" from the floor? 7" from the bed to the 1st ledge does not look right according to the picture. Thanks, Cary

Scott Brandstetter
06-04-2015, 9:43 AM
Klaus, I'm not an electrician but that is a standard 220 plug. It's weird but some of my 220 equip has one style plug (like a dryer) and then this type.

That plug doesn't look like the outlet I've got. Is that a standard 220 plug like a dryer would use?

Also wanted to say "hi" to Mr. Conrad. When you said "Cape" I figured you were one of the closest members of this forum to me.

hu lowery
06-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Klaus, I'm not an electrician but that is a standard 220 plug. It's weird but some of my 220 equip has one style plug (like a dryer) and then this type.

Just a little clarification, big or little 220 plugs are made differently according to the code they need to conform to and the amperage they are designed to carry.

Best I understand the plug on the 766 will fit a standard(small) fifteen amp 220 receptacle. I believe that the twenty amp receptacle is compatible with the 766 plug too so that is what I bought. The design is such that a fifteen amp plug will fit into a twenty amp receptacle but a twenty amp plug will not fit in a fifteen amp receptacle.

I think my info is correct, if not I suspect I'll read about it soon!

Hu

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 11:38 AM
I was with you until here. Did you mean roughly 22.5" from floor to bottom of the bed and the ledge is 7" from the floor? 7" from the bed to the 1st ledge does not look right according to the picture. Thanks, Cary

The 7 and 22 1/2 are measured from the bottom of the bed down to the bottom of each ledge. Does that help?

Red

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Just a little clarification, big or little 220 plugs are made differently according to the code they need to conform to and the amperage they are designed to carry.

Best I understand the plug on the 766 will fit a standard(small) fifteen amp 220 receptacle. I believe that the twenty amp receptacle is compatible with the 766 plug too so that is what I bought. The design is such that a fifteen amp plug will fit into a twenty amp receptacle but a twenty amp plug will not fit in a fifteen amp receptacle.

I think my info is correct, if not I suspect I'll read about it soon!

Hu

This is what my wall receptacle looks like. It is 1 1/4" in diameter.

Red

Sparky Paessler
06-04-2015, 12:55 PM
This is what my wall receptacle looks like. It is 1 1/4" in diameter.

Red

That is a NEMA 6-20R (20amp 240V with ground). The lathe will plug into that or a 6-15R (15 amp 240V with ground) as the plug that Red showed is a 6-15P (15 amp 240V) and it will plug into either receptacle.
What you don't want to get is a 6-30R which looks simlar to the 6-20R but is larger.

The 6 -20R and the 6-15R can be wired with #12 romex (as it's rated for 20 amps) but if I was running it a long way I would consider using #10 if I was wiring a 6-20R.

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 2:55 PM
I very happy with how everything aligns nicely right out of the box.

Red

Izzy Camire
06-04-2015, 5:58 PM
Red the heck with the lathe pictures is that an old Ford Tractor in the background? 8n maybe. We pics of that!

Randy Red Bemont
06-04-2015, 7:04 PM
1948 8N and she runs like a top. I use it around the yard and I even mow the grass with her.

Red

Robert Henrickson
06-04-2015, 7:20 PM
1948 8N and she runs like a top. I use it around the yard and I even mow the grass with her.
Red

Looks very much like the one my brother-in-law has as well. Uses it for mowing, harrowing, postholes, etc. on his horse farm.

After helping with the fencing project, I suggested that my PHD actually stood for "Post Hole Digger".

James Conrad
06-04-2015, 8:27 PM

Hey Klaus, there are a few of us MA folks on here. Looks like my lathe is getting delivered tomorrow morning!

Randy Red Bemont
06-05-2015, 6:54 AM
Hey Klaus, there are a few of us MA folks on here. Looks like my lathe is getting delivered tomorrow morning!

A happy day on the cape today for sure!

My sister in law had a house in Wellfleet off old wharf road. Loved staying out there and great fishing!!

Red

James Conrad
06-05-2015, 7:45 AM
A happy day on the cape today for sure!

My sister in law had a house in Wellfleet off old wharf road. Loved staying out there and great fishing!!

Red

That's a nice spot, fishing was great yesterday: 315072

I'm headed out later to check the lobster pots for a little lathe and lobster dinner!