PDA

View Full Version : Mystery: Old Table Saw - anybody recognize?

Tom Deutsch
06-03-2015, 9:29 AM
Anyone recognize what saw this is and anything about it?
314932I'm trying to figure out what brand this is. Locally advertised for not too much $ and I might pick it up if the bed is flat. Looks like it says "Man_ _ D(or B)ollan" then on the second line it says either "quality" or "company" (company makes sense - but it looks like a Q).

I could call the guy or go see it, but guessing is more fun!

Harold Weaver
06-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Tom,
I posted your saw picture over at the OWWM site. I could not identify it, stumped me. But if it can be identified, the brain trust over there will be able to. I'll keep you posted when I get some hits on it from them.

Harold

Bill White
06-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Whatever it is, it looks as if it was used to cut open paint cans.
Bill

Harold Weaver
06-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Tom, the wording on front of the saw reads "Marcus Pollack Quality" and this 8" saw was produced by American Machine and Tool, Circa 1960. It is a model 2025. The fine folks over at OWWM (BGriffith) identified this baby within minutes. They never cease to amaze. Her is the link to the manufacturer over at Vintage Machinery.com, their sister site archive.

Harold

Tom Deutsch
06-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks, Harold! That's really interesting. Man, the 50s and 60s were an amazing time for manufacturing here in the US. Such a wealth of different makers and innovation.
Bill, it definitely does look like there has been some splatter over the decades!

Harold Weaver
06-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Tom,
You are right. That is why every machine I own is from the late 30's through he 60's. My newest is the PM66, 1972. It's still a baby.... I know that the old stuff isn't for everybody, and that's all good by me. Some like old and some like new and shiny. Me, I like old and cheap. At least, that's what my wife calls me.

There is a certain satisfaction though to turning on my restored 17" Delta drill press from 1942 and getting that feeling that someone probably used it to help in the war effort in some way so many years ago.