PDA

View Full Version : Cordless vs Corded multitools?

Matt Meiser
06-03-2015, 8:10 AM
I've got a fine Fein multi-tool which I love, EXCEPT that every time I use it, it seems like I'm using it somewhere where I need to drag out an extension cord and spend more time setting up than making an actual cut. I've never used it for more than a couple minutes at a time so I'm thinking of selling it and buying Milwaukee's M12 tool since I always have an M12 battery charged and ready to go. If you've used both, what do you think?

Rich Engelhardt
06-03-2015, 8:27 AM
Sell the Fein - - get a cordless and - pick up a single speed corded Harbor Freight tool for any times you might need to use it for an extended time.

I had a cordless MF tool I picked up on sale @ Menards for under $20 - w/the sale price and rebate. It as real handy to use - - the few times I did use it before the battery went out.
I haven't replaced it since my uses for a tool like that usually are for extended periods of time. Matter of fact, I found more than anything else, I needed to switch blades so often I bought a 2nd Harbor Freight tool so I can put a different blade and just grab the one I need.

Ole Anderson
06-03-2015, 8:35 AM
Choosing corded vs cordless: Used to be easy, but now with the higher voltages and better batteries I often pull out the battery version when I would have grabbed the corded version previously. That said, I don't have many non-drill battery tools, nor do I have a cordless multi-tool.

Matt Meiser
06-03-2015, 8:36 AM
Good point...could pick one up for $16, if/when I need one. What do you use yours for extended periods? I mostly use it for a quick cut, to make a drywall cut for a box or low voltage trim ring, etc, etc. Last two times I used it I cut off a piece of gutter downspout to fix questionable routing and had to wrap extension cord half way around the house.

John Lanciani
06-03-2015, 8:46 AM
I find that I use my 12v Bosch 10x more than my corded Fein just because it is so quick and easy. The convenience and versatility of using the cordless far outweighs the slight loss of power or any battery life concerns.

Jason Roehl
06-03-2015, 8:48 AM
Good point...could pick one up for $16, if/when I need one. What do you use yours for extended periods? I mostly use it for a quick cut, to make a drywall cut for a box or low voltage trim ring, etc, etc. Last two times I used it I cut off a piece of gutter downspout to fix questionable routing and had to wrap extension cord half way around the house.

Maybe you need to use it to install a few more receptacles in convenient locations around the house! ;)

Jerome Stanek
06-03-2015, 8:53 AM
I just used my fein to do some work where there was no power. What I did was use my jump starter with a inverter to power it. Worked great and is very portable.

cody michael
06-03-2015, 8:57 AM
I have a ridgid cordless, and a harbor freight corded, harbor freight tool is definitely lower quality, rougher, louder, but I use it for extended use projects, any normal small projects ridgid cordless is great.

Rich Engelhardt
06-03-2015, 9:06 AM
Matt - most recent use is to cut out the old sub floor of a bathroom I'm redoing. I can get the Festool track saw only so close to the corners, then I have to finish those cuts with the MF tool.
It's slow going & a cordless tool would give out pretty quick.
I also have a heat register in the floor that I need to cut out. My plan is to use the MF tool since there's some wiring underneath in that area that I don't want to hit with the jig saw.

I also have a counter top with a built in splash that's going in in a couple/three weeks. The cut along the back, near the splash, for the sink is too close to the back splash to use a jig saw. I used a Roto Zip w/the wheel cutter attachment on the last one I did. That was before I picked up a MF tool.

There's a lot of other stuff too...
I do a lot of rehab and remodel work & "job site" battery condition is pretty far removed from "shop/home" battery condition. My job site batteries are either in an active use tool or the charger.
OTOH - extension cords are all over the place.

Jim German
06-03-2015, 9:23 AM
If you've already got M12 tools, just grab the bare tool version, its only $80. Its super convenient to have and the batteries last pretty well. Blade changes are mildly irritating on it though.

George Bokros
06-03-2015, 9:34 AM
I also have a counter top with a built in splash that's going in in a couple/three weeks. The cut along the back, near the splash, for the sink is too close to the back splash to use a jig saw.

Counter tops with built in back splash is not friendly for cutting holes for sinks. They are great for eliminating the joint and the problem of water getting under the back splash but a pain for cutting for a sink. Hope the MF tool gets you a nice cut.

Matt Meiser
06-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Jim, can you elaborate on "irritating?"

The M12 can use my existing supply of blades, so that's a plus too.

Jim German
06-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Its not a quick release, it takes an allen key. There also is nowhere on the tool to store the allen key, so it can easily get lost. Not really a big deal, but not ideal.

Also note that to be able to use some types of blades it needs an adapter, which it comes with but would be very easy to lose. I'm not sure if its needed for the Fein ones, I can check when I get home.

I did a review of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_XALE9hfV0 if you're curious.

Greg R Bradley
06-03-2015, 1:30 PM
I have a Fein corded that I've had for a long time. Also have Bosch 12v & Makita LXT cordless. I can't imagine having to choose one but if I had to only have two the LXT would be the one to go. Cordless, small, low power all kind of go together.

Different tools for different jobs. If you use is very limited, perhaps a cordless would get you by.

William A Johnston
06-03-2015, 2:37 PM
I have the dremel multi-tool that is corded. I recently got rid of my Makita drills and circular saw and went with the Ryobi set and it has a multi-tool. Most of the time 98% or better I am just using it to cut our a back of the cabinet which is 1/4" ply or trimming some baseboard that is already installed. I like the cordless one a lot better. I would personally say it will depend on your use. The Fein brand is suppose to be the cream of the crop. I would probably keep the Fein and purchase a cordless one.

Mike Hollingsworth
06-03-2015, 2:51 PM
M12 system is the cat's meow. the multi tool rocks. Never thought i'd need a battery powered caulking gun. It can shoot out a tube in 3 seconds or make an 1/8" bead for 10 feet. The pipe cutter sucks.

Matt Meiser
06-03-2015, 2:58 PM
Agreed! I love the 1/4" drive impact wrench for small stuff on cars, equipment and the like. I have a recon rotary hammer on the way too--got sick of trying to use a hammer drill to use Tapcons in the basement and stuff like that.

John Lankers
06-03-2015, 4:02 PM
Matt, you probably already own cordless tools. Why not buy just the tool that works with your existing batteries and keep the Fein because it's just a fine tool.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-03-2015, 5:05 PM
Matt, you probably already own cordless tools. Why not buy just the tool that works with your existing batteries and keep the Fein because it's just a fine tool.

+1 on this. I have the Bosch cordless, and while it works great for "short" tasks, I would also love to have a "real" Fein.... I cut out all the drywall for a shower enclosure on 1 battery. I think the battery lasts pretty good in tools now. No matter what brand.