PDA

View Full Version : New Hall Table

Marc Spagnuolo
08-13-2005, 2:43 PM
I have realized that I definitely dont contribute enough to this forum. So here goes. This is a prototype of a hall table I designed for a class I am teaching at American Sycamore. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.marcswoodcreations.com/images/hall_table02.jpg

http://www.marcswoodcreations.com/images/hall_table04.jpg

Byron Trantham
08-13-2005, 2:55 PM
Holly cow!!!! :eek: That is one beautiful piece of furniture. Is it your design? If it is, sell your tools and open up a design studio! :D

Larry Reimer
08-13-2005, 3:10 PM
Marc, great looking table. That does bring up a couple of questions though. Which class are you teaching at American Sycamore? (I don't see you on the agenda). Will you be showing how you do the inlay? Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-13-2005, 3:29 PM
Marc.....if you can and are doing that kind of work.....YOU DEFINITELY ARE NOT POSTING OFTEN ENOUGH HERE! Forget the photo cops....send out the Photo Army! :eek: :rolleyes: :D Seriously, I really like the design and execution! Beautiful. Please post more photos of you work! A beginner like myself can learn a lot just from the photos!

Mike Cutler
08-13-2005, 4:03 PM
Very nice Mark. Like the others stated. post more of your work.
Once again very well done.

Dan Forman
08-13-2005, 4:46 PM
Very dramatic design! What kinds of wood were used? Beautiful piece. More please!

Dan

Keith Christopher
08-13-2005, 7:48 PM
Beauty piece ! I love it !

Jim W. White
08-13-2005, 8:11 PM
Awesome!! ...Marc could you indulge us with more details? ...it looks like you doweled the drawer fronts (with metal plugs?) ...great looking peice ...please tell us more about it.

...Jim W

Jim Becker
08-13-2005, 8:57 PM
Now, that's very kewel!! Wonderful design! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Marc Spagnuolo
08-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the kind replies. I will try to answer everyone's questions.
Yes it is my design. I wanted the design to contain a few key elements that I wanted to focus on in the class. The primary wood is Jatoba. The accents are wenge and the top is a little curly maple. Obviously a mix of woods was used for the inlay.
The class is going to be scheduled for April of 2006. If anyone is interested you can just email the folks at American Sycamore and they can reserve your spot. I was happy to hear recently that the class is already half full. The inlay will actually be a weekend add-on to the 5 day class. I believe Mike and Dana are getting the 2006 schedule together and will probably post it by the end of August.

The drawer is indeed doweled with 1/4" steel rods. The handle is attached to the front of the drawer with the same material.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will certainly post more here soon. You are a good bunch of people and I hope to get to know you all better.

If anyone is interested, my website is essentially my "online portfolio". You can see lots of pics there. Once again, thanks.
www.marcswoodcreations.com (http://www.marcswoodcreations.com)

Mike Stanton
08-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Marc You make beautiful things. Mike

Chris Padilla
08-14-2005, 2:50 AM
Fine design and craftsmanship, Marc! Could you put in your location so we know roughly where you are? :)

Marc Spagnuolo
08-14-2005, 4:57 AM
consider it done. :)

Gail O'Rourke
08-14-2005, 7:04 AM
Marc, this is a beautiful table. Really nicely executed, quite elegant.

What are the dimensions and do you have a closer up look at the inlay?

Keep up the good work and it sounds like a great class.

John Hart
08-14-2005, 7:40 AM
Everyone has already said it...But I just gotta....Beautiful work Marc...Great design and artfully executed. Looking forward to your future posts!

Jim Dunn
08-14-2005, 7:49 AM
Marc that's a real cool table. How was that inlay in the top done? Also you need better dust collection in and around your drill press:)

Alan Turner
08-14-2005, 8:49 PM
Nice work, Mark. A question or 2. Is the leg stock from 12/4? Why the steel dowels for the drawer?

Jeff Sudmeier
08-14-2005, 9:30 PM
Mark, that looks great!! The inlay really makes the peice..

Marc Spagnuolo
08-15-2005, 1:22 AM
Dimensions are 19.5" H, 36" L, and 15" D.

The inlay was done using a router and standard inlay techniques. A more intricate design could have been done if marquetry techniques were employed. There are more detailed shots here on my website:

http://www.marcswoodcreations.com/custom_furniture.html

The legs were cut from 4"x4" pieces. I had to laminate two 8/4 and a 4/4 piece in order to get that thickness. Not the ideal situation but finding nice pieces of lumber of that thickness will be nearly impossible.

And "why steel dowels"? Well.......why not. :) I am not a big fan of brass and I wanted to incorporate something unique, so steel was the easiest to get. I wish there were more steel (or similarly-colored metal) options for hardware. Maybe some day.

Marc