PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 18" Bandsaw Warranty Issue

Steve Mawson
06-02-2015, 9:23 PM
Know a lot of you turners use a bandsaw so directing my question to you folks. Bought a Rikon 18" bandsaw late 2012. Been a good unit, no problems until a month ago. Heard a loud noise and checked the guide bearings. All four on the lower unit had almost locked up, turning them by hand you knew they were bad. So checked owners manual, 5 year warranty, called the company-nope that part is not covered. I was a little surprised at the answer to the warranty so replaced locally for about $45.00 but not the end of the world. So just checking to see if anyone else has had this problem and Rikons response if you have. Lets not get in a big discussion of who makes the best bandsaw:D, just need a little information. Thanks to anyone that might help.

daryl moses
06-02-2015, 9:57 PM
I would say you were lucky if your bearings lasted that long. On my Rikon 14" saw they lasted a couple of months. I replaced mine with skate board bearings for a couple of bucks.

Doug Herzberg
06-02-2015, 10:03 PM
I have the same saw, about the same age. No problems like that. It's been a good saw. How much would Carters cost?

Mike Peace
06-02-2015, 10:25 PM
I have a Rikon 18" as well. The lower bearings also had gotten stiff or seized. I called Rikon and they said the bearings could be serviced and explained how. I serviced them which required removing the shields, cleaning and lubricating and they continue to work. I believe the nature of using a BS for green wood tends to cause them to have a rough life and the need for periodic service or replacement. The metal shield around the lower bearings designed to help the dust collection tend to collect and confine the dust around and into the bearings. I removed these metal guards and clean the dust and shavings every time I cut green wood. Perhaps sealed rather than shielded bearings would have been better, but I will have to say, the saw was a bargain compared to its competitors. I guess you get what you pay for but I judge this saw to be a pretty good value.

Tom Giacomo
06-03-2015, 1:57 AM
I also have the Rikon 18" bandsaw. Mine is now 8 years old and several times I have pulled them off and cleaned and lubed them, like Mike said cutting green wood really clogs them. After 7 years a couple just froze up. I went online to JSB bearing and replaced them all for $20.

Bill Boehme
06-03-2015, 4:11 AM
... So checked owners manual, 5 year warranty, called the company-nope that part is not covered. I was a little surprised at the answer to the warranty so replaced locally for about $45.00 but not the end of the world....

It's probably universal that "wear components" like belts and bearings are not included in warranties for shop machines. So, a good question would be, "what are warranties good for?" Other than marketing, not much, if you think about it.

Mike Cutler
06-03-2015, 7:28 AM
Steve

I have the Rikon 10-340, and the bearings have needed to be replaced also. I think I bought a 12 pack from Zoro Tools 5-6 years ago and just keep them on hand. I "cooked" the bearings and overhauled them once, and then just replaced them.
It's a pretty standard bearing and can be had via the internet, or as you did, locally sourced. If you're going to keep cutting green wood, you might want to think about buying sealed bearings for the future. A little more expensive, but may save you some aggravation.