PDA

View Full Version : Turbine spray systems

Marc Spagnuolo
08-13-2005, 2:38 PM
Hello all. I am in the market for a turbine spray system. I am not sure what company to go with. For those of you who have them, which company did you go with? Thanks for the advice!

Marc

Richard Wolf
08-13-2005, 4:25 PM
I have the Fuji Q4 system. Works very well.

Richard

Bob Wingard
08-13-2005, 5:44 PM
I got the Apollo 800 .. .. .. no problems with it !!

Chris Padilla
08-14-2005, 2:27 AM
Apollo 1000 here...it is loud, it is noisy, but it does very well. Waffled back and forth between Fuji and Apollo and Apollo came through with a deal for me so I went with them. Very happy with it...just noisy! :)

Ian Barley
08-14-2005, 4:34 AM
Another Fuji Q4 here - perfect for what I do with it - worth every penny of the price.

Christian Aufreiter
08-14-2005, 7:54 AM
I'm not really contemplating one of those systems right now but I'd like to hear comments on the Graco items. HVLP turbine systems seem to be hardly available here but Graco is one of the rare brands I could buy locally.

Thanks,

Christian

Chris Barton
08-14-2005, 8:42 AM
Hey Richard, I figured you would have the "best of the best" with the q4 system! How does it compare to the HVLP conversion guns designed for compressors (which is my low $ solution at present)? When you spray shellac how dilute do you have to get it for good flow and leveling?

John Renzetti
08-14-2005, 9:15 AM
Hey Richard, I figured you would have the "best of the best" with the q4 system! How does it compare to the HVLP conversion guns designed for compressors (which is my low $ solution at present)? When you spray shellac how dilute do you have to get it for good flow and leveling?

Hi Chris, I'm looking for a replacement for my old Fuji bleeder type gun. One nice option is the Sata Satajet RP or the Sata NR2000 RP. Both can be run off relatively lower powered compressors. (lower powered in this case is 3-5hp with large 60-80gal tank). Also looked at the Accuspray number 10 that can be used with my present Fuji HVLP compressor. Saw them all recently at the AWFS in Vegs.
take care,
John

Richard Wolf
08-14-2005, 9:54 AM

Okay, I'm not a expert with finishes, but here is what I found in my research;
1) With a conversion gun you need a good size compressor which I didn't have.
2) You will need to have a moisture sperator inline.
3) The turbine unit produce warm to hot air which seems to help most finishes.
4) Turbines are more compact if you must take them to a job site.
5) It comes with a nonbleeder type gun, so when not spraying, air is not blowing out of the gun.
This is important so you are not blowing dust around the area by mistake.

The fuji Q4 is a quiet system which came with different tips for different material thicknesses, I have not sprayed shellac only lacquer so I can't help you there.

Richard

Sam Blasco
08-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I've got the Turbinaire system and have found it comparable to all the above mentioned items when I tested them. I also have the Accuspray conversion gun and that did a great job as well, still does (I keep it set up for dyes.) With a conversion gun make sure and install a mini-regulator right at the gun, and I've also got a mini-water filter on that gun, as well an in-line at the compressor. When it is all said and done, a conversion gun is half the money, but depending on the amount of use, could be tough on all but an industrial compressor, so may not be so inexpensive in the long run. If you can afford it, get the dedicated turbine system. Or you can try what I often do, spend less now, then when the limitations of the frugality become apparent, spend more later to get what I should have gotten the first time. At least, I have a dedicated dye gun now for the one time a year I may need it.

Marc Spagnuolo
08-14-2005, 2:02 PM
This guy seems to have decent prices on the Fuji stuff.

http://www.phelpsrefinishing.com/fuji.html

Anyone have experience with this dealer? I am considering the Q4.

Marc

Paul Berendsohn
08-14-2005, 2:31 PM
Christian,

I have a large Graco turbine setup. Love it, although I haven't mastered the whole HVLP thing by a long shot. I have a bleeder style gun which can be a hassle, but I haven't figured out yet if my turbine is compatible with a non bleeder. In any case, the Graco turbine and their support is first rate.

PaulB

Richard Wolf
08-14-2005, 2:47 PM
This guy seems to have decent prices on the Fuji stuff.

http://www.phelpsrefinishing.com/fuji.html

Anyone have experience with this dealer? I am considering the Q4.

Marc

Yes, I purchased my system from them. I got the "Best Deal" for $975. The whip is very good to have and I wanted the extra tip for heavy material. Shipment was prompt with everything intact.

Richard

Marc Spagnuolo
08-14-2005, 3:23 PM
Thanks Richard. Very good to hear!!

Marc

Chris Fite
08-14-2005, 4:02 PM
I have an Eaglespray system that has served me well for nigh unto 15 years.

Jeff A. Smith
08-14-2005, 4:24 PM
I have the Capspray 9100. That's a really fine machine. They're somehow affiliated with Wagner, but Capspray is the "upline" (similar to DeWalt and Black and Decker, I suppose) to Wagner. It's not cheap -- Somewhere just south of $900. But so much better than the HVLP gun I had before -- which was a VERY-HIGHLY-RECOMMENDED (and expensive) Binks gun.

The Capspray sprays a better pattern and is easier to control.

But I'll admit that this is subjective -- guns are a personal choice :) .

At least take a look at the Capspray before you choose a system.

Good luck...

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Christian Aufreiter
08-15-2005, 6:56 AM
Thanks, Paul.

Christian