PDA

View Full Version : What finish do you guys think is best for turnings?

Barry McFadden
06-02-2015, 9:16 PM
I have always used varnish for my turnings...but I see so many turnings on here with a great finish and guys are always using letters to describe what they used (WOP..ect) and I don't know exactly what that is. I'm looking for advice on some finishes that can be applied on the lathe with a cloth that would give a nice deep gloss or semi-gloss finish without the time of putting on 3 or 4 coats of varnish....any suggestions would be appreciated....

daryl moses
06-02-2015, 9:19 PM
WOP= wipe on poly.

Doug Herzberg
06-02-2015, 9:25 PM
Acronyms have come up before. Here's a thread:http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174864-ROFL-IDNK-amp-YAA-The-SMC-Acronyms-Thread

Several finishes can do what you want: French Polish (1/3 each Boiled Linseed oil (BLO), shellac, and denatured alcohol (DNA)), Woodturners Finish from General Finishes (WTF), and shellac come to mind right away. Spray lacquer works, too, but that isn't put on with a cloth.

Welcome to the forum, Barry. Have fun!

David C. Roseman
06-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Barry, Arm-R-Seal from General Finishes may work well for you. https://generalfinishes.com/retail-products/oil-base-top-coats/arm-r-seal-urethane-topcoat#.VW5eykZvA3U It's an oil and urethane mixture that you can either wipe or brush on. Levels nicely, can be recoated quickly, and repairs well. Several coats produce a fairly durable finish.

carl mesaros
06-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Acronyms have come up before. Here's a thread:http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174864-ROFL-IDNK-amp-YAA-The-SMC-Acronyms-Thread

Several finishes can do what you want: French Polish (1/3 each Boiled Linseed oil (BLO), shellac, and denatured alcohol (DNA)), Woodturners Finish from General Finishes (WTF), and shellac come to mind right away. Spray lacquer works, too, but that isn't put on with a cloth.

Welcome to the forum, Barry. Have fun!

I will jump in to say that I really like the French polish formula for smaller turnings. Seems to give additional shine and depth the more coats you apply. Check Captain Eddie's videos. He has a good one explaining how to make, store and apply his "shine juice".

Ben Pierce
06-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Deciding on a finishing technique for each piece has become the hardest part of turning for me. I've read so much online, including a huge volume of info on this site, and my shop shelves have become increasingly full of bottles/containers of this and that. The piece's intended purpose is a big determining factor. For display pieces I've been having good success just flooding with various oil/varnish/solvent mixtures... there are lots of recipes that work great. Let it dry thoroughly and buff for a glassy satin finish.

William Bachtel
06-03-2015, 9:46 AM
Dave above is what I vote for. General Finishes

Prashun Patel
06-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Wipe on Poly is just thinned polyurethane. Polyurethane is also a varnish.

You can thin your varnish with mineral spirits (assuming it's oil based) and wipe it on. In fact, a non-poly varnish dries clearer and more glassy. Polyurethane when built up tends to look like plastic to me and some others (funny, not in the turning world though).

WTF is a fast drying finish that can be wiped on. Having used it once, it feels like it'd be tricky to apply on anything BUT a turned object with the lathe on.

Another fast drying finish that goes on well on the lathe is shellac. It dries quick, buffs out really well, and is clearer to my eye even MORE than varnish.

If you're really looking for fast finishing and don't need it to be on the lathe, then I would recommend Deft Lacquer in the spray cans. It levels perfectly, is very forgiving, and dries super quick. It allows you to turn a bunch of things, and finish them all at once (off the lathe). It's my go-to if I have to make a quick gift.

Dale Gillaspy
06-03-2015, 10:59 AM
You mentioned "without having to apply 3 or 4 coats..." Let me simplify things.....there isn't one. I get a great gloss finish, or whatever level of sheen I wish with Danish Oil, but it takes 15 or more coats. I can also do the same thing with a varnish based finish I mix myself. Any finish you want to apply...and last...is going to take time and effort.

Marvin Hasenak
06-03-2015, 2:10 PM
There is no one finish that works on all types of wood. Same goes for the durability of the finish, it all depends on what you turn and what it's use will be. In short there is no fast and easy finish for everything we turn. I would rather spend the time and do a finish right and be satisfied with it than slap on a "all purpose" one step finish that just looks shiny. I like the oil finishes, they take several coats and take me about a week to apply correctly.

Dale Gillaspy, try the Minwax Teak oil finish instead of the Danish oils, it works like an oil, but has more varnish in it and you get a shine faster than the Watco teak oil. So far it also seems pretty durable, but so far I have only used it one time.

Barry McFadden
06-03-2015, 8:34 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice....great info...David...I was looking at Arm-R-Seal on the Lee Valley website before I made the post so I'm glad to hear it being recommended ...thanks