PDA

View Full Version : Using Veritas Blades in a Stanley 71

Stew Denton
06-02-2015, 9:02 PM
Guys, I messed up the title, and now I can't fix it. This was supposed to be a request for help. Sorry about that.

My understanding is that blades for the Veritas router plane will fit a Stanley 71, but the adjustment knob needs to be turned upside down. Someone is also selling a slightly longer treaded rod that will fit the 71 so that you can use the Veritas blades without turning the adjuster upside down.

I like the old Stanley high carbon steel plane irons, because of the way they sharpen. Are the Veritas blades similar steel? Do you like the Veritas blades? Finally, is the longer threaded rod a good idea, or does turning the adjuster knob work just fine?

Your thought will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Mike Henderson
06-03-2015, 12:10 AM
I have the LV router plane with their blades and the blades work fine. Hold an edge well and are easy to sharpen. I don't know what steel they're made of but I suspect it regular carbon steel.

Mike

Chuck Hart
06-03-2015, 12:17 AM
+1 on what Mike wrote. I have the 1/2 and 3/4 blades and they work fine. I was actually surprised by how sharp the are and have used them right out of the package. I say buy some they aren't that expensive.

Tom Vanzant
06-03-2015, 12:22 AM
Stew, don't know about longer screw, but Veritas blades work fine with the adjusting nut inverted as you said. LV refers to the irons only as high carbon. In my experience, they take and hold an edge well. No experience with Stanley router blades, so no comparison offered.

Jim Koepke
06-03-2015, 11:46 AM
My router plane is a Sargent #62 (iirc) it too needed the nut flipped to use the LV blades. Since then a 1/4" piece of wood has been added to the sole. This negates the need to flip the nut.

Save your money on the longer bolt and use it to purchase another LV blade.

As said above, they come sharp, stay sharp and are a breeze to sharpen when the time comes.

The first one impressed me enough to later buy more to have a full imperial set. I sometimes think about extending my set to include the metric sizes.

jtk