PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump for Vacuum Chuck Question

Alan Gan
06-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Hey all, I have a 2 stage Vacuum pump (http://www.use.com/JB_Fast_Vac_DV_85_2_Stage_1_3hp_Deep_Vacuum_Pump_1 c64793981aaa45f291d#photo=1) I used 20 years ago when working HVAC. Clearing out some storage rooms and thought about selling it.

Not knowing very much yet about turning, I had read about a Vacuum Chuck. Is this type of chuck desirable, safe and useful? I hate to sell this pump if It can be used with my lathe.

I have been away from the forum for awhile, do not think I mentioned that I bought a new lathe a couple months ago. I got the Nova DVR XP, it is nice...:cool:

Roger Chandler
06-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Alan........there are other turners who have used a two stage vacuum pump for their vacuum chuck setup and they work fine from what I hear. I purchased one back over a year ago, but have not set it up yet........time factors and the fact that my present Hold Fast system works well. I do plan to make one sometime, but will have to study up on it and the necessary components. My pump is an oil based lubricated pump, so containment of the exhaust air with a filter to capture any oil mist is a must.

Steve Schlumpf has a thread on his set up somewhere on this forum, and James Combs uses a 2 stage for his setup.......if my memory serves me well here, but I understand a two-stage works well.

James Combs
06-02-2015, 7:41 PM
Alan........there are other turners who have used a two stage vacuum pump for their vacuum chuck setup and they work fine from what I hear. I purchased one back over a year ago, but have not set it up yet........time factors and the fact that my present Hold Fast system works well. I do plan to make one sometime, but will have to study up on it and the necessary components. My pump is an oil based lubricated pump, so containment of the exhaust air with a filter to capture any oil mist is a must.

Steve Schlumpf has a thread on his set up somewhere on this forum, and James Combs uses a 2 stage for his setup.......if my memory serves me well here, but I understand a two-stage works well.
I don't know whether mine is a two stage or other but you can find details of my set-up here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162882-My-New-Vacuum-Chuck&highlight=).