PDA

View Full Version : Laser-It

Bill George
06-02-2015, 7:50 AM
Anyone used this product, Laser-It ? Laser engrave able .020 inch aluminum. Do's or don'ts and is it durable?

Dan Hintz
06-02-2015, 7:54 AM
I believe there were some earlier threads about it when it was first introduced... might try searching.

Bill George
06-02-2015, 8:13 AM
The first thing I did was a Search nothing came up, which I thought was unusual.

Mike Null
06-02-2015, 8:36 AM
Bill

It is available from Burlane and JDS in several colors. I haven't used it but both are reputable and stand behind what they sell. They'll probably send samples.

Tony Lenkic
06-02-2015, 9:04 AM
I use it all the time mostly black/silver, red/silver, blue/silver and silver/black . It is well suited for indoor applications. I would avoid outdoor use as reports were it will fade over the time.
Contact ID plates for more info.

Bill George
06-02-2015, 9:20 AM
I use it all the time mostly black/silver, red/silver, blue/silver and silver/black . It is well suited for indoor applications. I would avoid outdoor use as reports were it will fade over the time.
Contact ID plates for more info.

Tony what do you cut to size with? I have access to a sheet metal shear where I used to teach but its not always available. Thanks for the info.

Tony Lenkic
06-02-2015, 9:53 AM
I cut them with 12" table top shear. Accucutters makes them in number of cutting sizes.

Kev Williams
06-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Marco sells, and I've bought Laser-it for a few years now. Great results. At least the black/silver and black/gold-

HOWEVER-- at this time, I'm having a problem with their black/gold. The last several sheets I've bought, which I get locally as there's a Marco warehouse 10 minutes from me, I've taken back. The reason is the gold isn't gold. Has a gold hue to it is about the best description. Previous versions have been plenty gold. I love the stuff because of its light weight, price and ease of shearing vs. lasersteel or actual black brass. I have some samples I've shown several random customers and asked them what color the engraving was. Everyone says it's "silver".

I've told Marco about this twice now, I hope they're passing the issue on to the mfr. I've got bad sheets twice, about 2 months apart. But they may have been from the same lot, I don't know.

Bill George
06-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Well my Vender of choice will be Johnson plastics and its next day delivery for me. Waiting for the customer right now to decide.

john passek
06-02-2015, 6:52 PM
I found with the silver/black and gold/black I get a blacker mark if I leave the plastic protection on it and laser through it.
Not sure why, I happened across this by accident when I forgot to remove the cover before lasering it.

Ross Moshinsky
06-02-2015, 8:01 PM
We started using laser-it steel, black with gold text several years ago. We switched to the aluminum recently. It is our go to material for value priced plaques. On most days we are happy with the results. Other advantages are the cost, weight, less wear and tear on the shear and it is recyclable.