PDA

View Full Version : Stencils Cutting

Junior hall
06-01-2015, 3:15 PM
how do i delete this post I see edit /delete but not delete by its self please delete this post

Ross Moshinsky
06-01-2015, 4:20 PM
You have three options.

1. Ikonic laser tape.
2. Masking tape used like Ikonic laser tape (probably want to use 2-3 layers of it)
3. Photoresist film (Rayzist or Ikonics). You will not use a laser for this but a inkjet printer & UV exposure box.

Bill George
06-01-2015, 5:16 PM
What would one use to cut for stencils to use for sandblasting. Or shall i say it this way What would you use to make a stencil out of to use for sandblasting using your laser engraver / cutting.

This will be for drinking glasses and the a likes that are circular. Just was asking as some one asked me about this. I am not looking to use vinyl as i know vinyl is toxic as it has chlorine and it is plastic

Thanks in advance

Correction, its PVC plastic with the chlorine that is toxic, not vinyl, not plastics.

Mike Audleman
06-01-2015, 5:30 PM
Correction, its PVC plastic with the chlorine that is toxic, not vinyl, not plastics.

Um, am I wrong but I thought "vinyl" was short for Polyvinyl Chloride and does have chlorine. No?
http://vinylinfo.org/vinyl-info/about-vinyl/
http://www.whatisvinyl.com/

http://www.advancedlining.com/uploads/2/8/9/4/2894558/flexible_vinyl.pdf

HAZARDOUS PRODUCTS OF COMBUSTION:
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and hydrogen chloride gas
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA:
Water, carbon dioxide, or dry chemical
SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING INSTRUCTIONS/PRECAUTIONS:
Wear full protective clothing and MSHA/NIOSH approved self-contained breathing apparatus.

Ross Moshinsky
06-01-2015, 5:47 PM
Think about what you're trying to accomplish and how difficult it will be. You want to find a re-usable stencil for sandblasting on a curve. Sandblasting is using pressure to shoot sand. Think how easy it is already to blow the sand under adhesive masking. Now add in a curve. Now add in re-usable. Can it be done? Absolutely, but creating a stencil is only a small part of the job. You're going to need to make the stencil but the most important thing will be figuring out a way to bend and tension to stencil so you don't have blow outs. Also you have to remember, a stencil like this will only last so long before it wears out and needs replacing. Also remember, on letters like "o" you need to create bridges. How are you going to fill in those bridges?

Long story short, there's a reason why stuff costs what it does. If they can't afford engraved glasses, screen printed glasses are MUCH cheaper and an excellent alternative.

Gary Hair
06-01-2015, 7:13 PM
Some thing that can be used over and over again with out having to make a new stencil again.

You are not going to find anything reusable, period, end of story.

Stencil isn't that expensive and the time it would take to reuse something that was reusable, if it were available, would negate the savings anyway.

Bill George
06-01-2015, 8:24 PM
Mike you are correct, I was thinking not all vinyl contained Choride, as not all plastic has Choride. Laser work has slowed down and gives me learning time on the 3D printer. And trying to learn FreeCad at the same time.

Robert Tepper
06-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Why not try "Mylar"?

Dan Hintz
06-03-2015, 8:58 AM
how do i delete this post I see edit /delete but not delete by its self please delete this post

Why did you delete the original post? Now no one coming in behind you will have learned form this experience and the following suggestions...

Mike Audleman
06-04-2015, 2:04 PM
Mike you are correct, I was thinking not all vinyl contained Choride, as not all plastic has Choride. Laser work has slowed down and gives me learning time on the 3D printer. And trying to learn FreeCad at the same time.

Always willing to learn. Thought you were about to teach me about a new vinyl.

I would love to find a sheet vinyl that could be safely lasered. I don't have a drag knife. I simply don't have the need for it, the space for it or the justification for it. But, having a sheet vinyl I could laser something out for a sign would be nice.