PDA

View Full Version : Attach Legs to Face of Table (underside) - Mortise Pal or Dowel?

Patrick Irish
06-01-2015, 1:02 PM
Debating on a the Jessem Dowel Jig or Mortise Pal.

If I want to attach legs to the underside of a table (coffee table), neither the mortise pal or jessem dowel jigs attach that way to a 22" wide piece of wood, let alone something 4" wide.

How would one do that?

Only thing I can think of is removing the template from the Mortise Pal and taping to the face of board then using the router with guide bushing to follow the template. Like those Rockler letter template in a way. Just have to be careful the tape/template doesnt move and ruining the location the mortise.

Any thoughts?

I basically want to attach 4 legs to a 2" thick walnut table top and not use pocket screws.

Jerry Miner
06-01-2015, 1:16 PM
I don't understand why you would want to attach legs to the underside of a table. SOP would be leg-to-apron and apron-to-top. Leg-to-top sounds weak to me.

Got a drawing you can post?

Patrick Irish
06-01-2015, 1:21 PM
Similar to this.

Its a slab coffee table I'm making.

glenn bradley
06-01-2015, 1:28 PM
Similar to this.

Its a slab coffee table I'm making.

I would not use four glued dowels due to the movement. You could leave two dowel holes loose but, I would use figure 8 fasteners instead. However you fasten it you want to allow for expansion/contraction through the year. Maybe use only two connecting points?

Garrett Ellis
06-01-2015, 1:32 PM
wedged through tenons if you don't mind seeing that from the top side.

Patrick Irish
06-01-2015, 1:43 PM
No Dowels or a loose tenon? I'm surprised, Those two were my figured go to's to attach the top. The legs will be vertical and not at angle for me.

Figure 8 fasteners are interesting. I didnt want to screw into the wood but will think about that.

I figured 4 legs or actually an 45 degree pair of 2"x6"s on either side (forming a V) with a center support connecting them would prevent any movement. Maybe add a spline to connect to the top but then that would be similar to dowels or loose tenon.

Prashun Patel
First, I'd rather make a top stretcher and then attach the top though that.

But if you want to do it with tenons on the legs, I'd cut the mortises first using a plunge router and a shop-made jig to line get them straight. You can make one or more mortises, but either way, make them 1/4" oversized on the length.

Then I'd cut the mortises or tenons on the legs. The fact that the top mortises are wider than the legs' will make it easier to line up and fit. You can always elongate the top mortises until the fit is perfect.

After the legs are fit to the top, you can work on measuring and fitting the lower stretcher.

Doing it this way will allow you to work in a single dimension at a time. Even with a Domino, it's a little tricky to line up the mortises in the tops to match the legs if you've already fitted the stretcher.

Jerry Miner
OK. I understand it better now. Thanks for posting the pic. Since the grain direction of the legs and top are the same, expansion/contraction shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with Garrett that wedged through M&T would be the best. Blind M&T would be my second choice. Floating tenon, 3rd. I'm not fond of dowels, but they could work, I'm sure (but probably my personal last choice).

Jerry Miner
06-01-2015, 1:49 PM
I figured 4 legs or actually an 45 degree pair of 2"x6"s on either side (forming a V) with a center support connecting them would prevent any movement.

Think again. You will NOT "prevent any wood movement"---you need to allow for wood movement in the design (Rule #1 in WW)

If you are thinking of a horizontal stretcher between the legs at each end, you'd better not dowel or tenon into the top.

Prashtun's suggestion of a top stretcher is a good one. Think about it

Patrick Irish
06-02-2015, 3:36 PM
Have examples of a stretcher? This gets screwed to the underside and legs get attached to the stretcher?

Jerry Miner
06-02-2015, 4:12 PM
Have examples of a stretcher? This gets screwed to the underside and legs get attached to the stretcher?

Here's a concept. Not sure what you mean by "4 legs or actually an 45 degree pair of 2"x6"s on either side (forming a V) with a center support connecting them"