PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Screw Variations or Alternatives.....

Justin Jump
06-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Anyone know of any good alternatives to a Kreg screw that also has the "self drilling" ability?

Here's why.....

Even though I am using 3/4" plywood, I still cut 1/8" deep dado's to help keep everything aligned during assembly, and to give a glue edge, being pre-finished, running the 1/8" deep dado removed finished material to give me raw wood to raw wood glue edges, of course got that tip here!!

Anyways, with the 1/8" deep dado, the 1 1/4" kreg screw is too long, it pokes out just a bit when attaching two pieces of 3/4" with a 1/8" dado.

Dropping to the Kreg 1" screw length is just a bit short, it doesn't pull the two pieces as tight as I would like as the 1 1/4" long screws do.

Ideally - it would be nice if there was a kreg screw 1 1/8" long......

Max Neu
06-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Have you tried backing off the dado to maybe 3/32" and adjusting the pocket hole a little bit by moving the collar on the drill bit?

Justin Jump
06-01-2015, 12:36 PM
hmmmm, I didnt think of backing off the hole....

I guess in theory if you drop the collar 1/8", the screw should stop 1/8" shorter....Definitely will try tonight.

As for the groove - I had thought about that when I was drawing everything up, the 1/8" kept everything nice and even with 1/8's and 1/4's......

glenn bradley
06-01-2015, 1:02 PM
If when backing the collar off you end up with too much exposed screw head, try pan head instead of washer (if you're not already using pan heads). I buy 1-1/8" washer head square drive screws (http://www.mcfeelys.com/screws-fasteners/mcfeely-s-promaster-washer-head/8-x-1-1-8-promaster-wood-screws-black-oxide-round-washer-head-combo-drive-qty-1000-9ap71.html) from McFeely's. I actually have from 5/8" to 1-1/2" or so in 1/8" steps for just the reason you have run into. Sometimes I really need the screw to bite into as much material as possible.

Rick Potter
06-01-2015, 3:08 PM
Plus 1 on what others have said. Depending on the jig, you can also use shims, like 1/8" Masonite to space where the screw enters the work piece. Might be handy, helps me with T&G, where I prefer to not enter in the exact middle.

Jerry Miner
06-01-2015, 7:58 PM
I guess in theory if you drop the collar 1/8", the screw should stop 1/8" shorter....

The other option, of course, is to set the bit 1/8" deeper and use the 1" screws.

Bruce Wrenn
06-01-2015, 9:00 PM
The other option, of course, is to set the bit 1/8" deeper and use the 1" screws.We have a winner! At least that's what I do.

Justin Jump
06-02-2015, 8:32 AM
We have a winner! At least that's what I do.

That's what I did last night...realized I had more 1" screw than 1 1/4"........

Jim Dwight
06-02-2015, 8:37 AM
On something that isn't critical (shop cabinet) I sometimes leave the tip poking out until the glue dries and then back it off until it disappears. I should probably set the drill bit back a bit. But I can't set it deeper on my jig (to use a longer screw), it would drill into the jig (aluminum).