PDA

View Full Version : Delta 18-36 sander repair - where do I start?

Brian Kent
06-01-2015, 11:04 AM
I use this sander a lot. It has gotten harder to raise and lower the table. Today it stopped working and started clicking, so I assume it is either a worn gear or a loose or worn drive belt (for table height).

I have decided not to panic, but to laugh at the delta non-availability of parts (designated as "obsolete - discontinued" which also describes my future purchase of Delta equipment since they are out of the business of supporting their own products.)

So, with smiles and joy and laughter and a tilting of the head, I do not know where to start the disassembly. I am planning on taking apart all of the parts in the table adjustment mechanism, cleaning and replacing all necessary parts.

I do not want to disassemble parts unnecessarily. Where do I start? Turn it upside down and remove legs and main motor?

Thanks. Smiling all the way. I really am grateful for this tool. A fellow woodworker sold it to me years ago at a price that was so low I consider it a gift.

Chris Padilla
06-01-2015, 2:17 PM
Do some searching here on SMC as this topic and this worn gear have come up a lot. Someone even posted some CAD files of the dimensions of this gear so that they could get one made. When I adjust the table on this sander, I always do it very slowly and carefully to avoid skipping teeth and causing wear.