PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat -- Maybe

John Hart
08-13-2005, 7:40 AM
I went to that evil auction site to look for ideas and ended up bidding on a set of Greenlee turning tools, and even though I bid low ($30), I won it. So now I have a set of tools coming that I know nothing about. Greenlee has always been high on my list of quality tools but they don't make turning tools anymore and I can't find any info on them. It's my guess that they were manufactured in the 50's or 60's. Anyone know if these tools are any good?

Harry Pye
08-13-2005, 10:28 AM
John,

They are most likely high carbon steel rather than high speed steel. When sharpening them, be careful not to let them get too hot. They should be capable of being sharpened to a keener edge than HSS though the edge won't last as long. Use them, especially the skews, for final cuts.

I think they look like really nice tools made by a company that took pride in their work. They should be good workers if you take care in sharpening them. If you don't like them, send them to me! :D

Charles Hans
08-13-2005, 11:17 AM
I agree with Harry, that they are most likely carbon steel. Greenlee is a maker of wood boring bits that most electricians use in the construction trade and they are quality tools. Nice find, take your time sharpening and you will be happy with your purchase.

Jim Becker
08-13-2005, 9:05 PM
They look like nice tools...but be aware they are all for spindle work (other than the parting tool).

John Hart
08-13-2005, 9:19 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I breath easier now. It feels good that I'll have a few more specialty tools to hang on the wall. I've developed an interest in pens and other small decorative pieces and I hope these will come in handy. If I don't like them Harry...you'll fnd them on your doorstep. :)