PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry and ipe bowl.

Adam Petersen
05-31-2015, 8:38 PM
Here is a bowl that may have started out as a vase. I burned the lip with wire. Pretty happy with it.

Allan Ferguson
05-31-2015, 9:17 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I like it. Allan

Thomas Canfield
05-31-2015, 10:20 PM
I like it but would like to know more of the story about the Ipe base. Was the Mulberry twice turned and the base added? What is size and finish?

robert baccus
05-31-2015, 11:29 PM
Very pretty and nice finish. Are you sure about it being mulberry??

Leo Van Der Loo
06-01-2015, 1:34 AM
Same here, it is a nice vase, but it is not Mulberry, it is Elm wood.

Show two pieces of Mulberry and an Elm piece, you can see the little WWWWW in the grain of Elm wood, just like in your vase, you wont find that in Mulberry, that doesn’t take away that you made a very nice Vase 314787.

314784 314785 314786

Adam Petersen
06-01-2015, 8:01 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I thought it was a mulberry I dropped on my parents acreage. There was elm that I got from the acreage too, so I might have thought I was turning a mulberry chunk and ended up with elm. Good catch by the more experienced turners here!

The bowl started out with me trying to make an urn for my dead cats. A large void from an inclusion ruined that idea and the wife asked me to make a bowl out of the top portion where I was hollowing it from. I cut the top off at the band saw and then just took a piece of ipe I had and turned the base with a tenon to fit in the hole. I glued it in place and then just turned it as one normally would a bowl. I left enough meat on the bottom to use it on a faceplace and then reverse chucked it in a jamb chuck to finish the bottom. The finish is thinned shellac topped with sprayed on laquer. The size is about 6" tall and a 5" diameter at the top. Not very big but she just wanted something for mints on the desk.

Randy Red Bemont
06-01-2015, 8:47 AM
You made a beautiful bowl. Someday I'll do nice work like that.

Red