PDA

View Full Version : What "Palm Router" do You Recommend and Why?

Rich Riddle
05-31-2015, 6:53 PM
Title pretty much says it all. What palm router do you folks recommend and why do you choose the one you do recommend? Thanks.

John Lankers
05-31-2015, 7:00 PM
I have the Bosch Colt, I like it but depth adjustment is so so, it has a fixed base and no dust collection. If I had to buy another one in a pinch I would probably look at a DeWalt with a plunge base but I haven't checked the market in a while.

Martin Wasner
05-31-2015, 7:11 PM
If you can find one, the Porter Cable 310 is the benchmark.

Another power tool that I would've bought a case of had I known they were going to be discontinued.

John TenEyck
05-31-2015, 7:20 PM
I have a Ridgid and like it a lot. Comes in a nice case, with both a square and round clear plastic base, collet wrenches, and a very nice edge guide - for all of $90 and guaranteed for life. Height adjustment is precise and the router fits my hand very well. The light helps a lot in being able to see the work area. And the square base will accept PC router bushings if you add a 1/8" plywood shim.

John

Mike Henderson
05-31-2015, 7:33 PM
I have three different brands and like the DeWalt best.

Mike

Rich Riddle
05-31-2015, 7:35 PM
Is the Dewalt the model 611 you like folks? One write-up indicates it has a light and transparent base so you can see the work.

Jerry Olexa
05-31-2015, 7:45 PM
Bosch Colt..

Mike Heidrick
05-31-2015, 8:25 PM
Is the Dewalt the model 611 you like folks? One write-up indicates it has a light and transparent base so you can see the work.

I like the 611 for these reasons only. Dewalt actually makes one smaller than the 611 as well.

Victor Robinson
05-31-2015, 8:29 PM
I absolutely adore my Dewalt 611.

The plunge base is superb. The LED light is nice and illuminates the cutting area well. Just used this little yellow guy yesterday with a 1/4" spiral bit and template guides for cutouts...plenty of power for that kind of application. Dust collection is quite good with the two dust collection ports you can get as accessories (one for fixed base, one for plunge).

I have a fair amount of Festool and have looked for every excuse to get one of their small routers - but just too happy with this one.

Rich Riddle
05-31-2015, 8:38 PM
I absolutely adore my Dewalt 611.

The plunge base is superb. The LED light is nice and illuminates the cutting area well. Just used this little yellow guy yesterday with a 1/4" spiral bit and template guides for cutouts...plenty of power for that kind of application. Dust collection is quite good with the two dust collection ports you can get as accessories (one for fixed base, one for plunge).

I have a fair amount of Festool and have looked for every excuse to get one of their small routers - but just too happy with this one.
I just read the Fine Woodworking write-up from two years ago and they claim the DeWalt to perform superior to the Festool. Interesting reading about all of them. The little routers seem more practical than anticipated.

pat warner
05-31-2015, 9:55 PM
Ridgid R2401, speaks for itself, the best compromise in trim routers.

Victor Robinson
05-31-2015, 9:58 PM
I just read the Fine Woodworking write-up from two years ago and they claim the DeWalt to perform superior to the Festool. Interesting reading about all of them. The little routers seem more practical than anticipated.

Yeah I think the Festool they looked at in that article was the MFK700, which is less of a multipurpose router and more of an acrobatic and expensive banding trimmer. Festool's smallest plunge router, the OF 1010, is the one I have long thought to get, but this Dewalt handles enough "small/medium router" tasks that I don't need the 1010 (have larger routers for heftier tasks). The only thing the 1010 does that I'd like the little Dewalt to do is pair nicely with the Festool rails and the LR32. Nothing a custom baseplate or drilling into the Festool one can't fix, just haven't gotten around to it.

Jamie Buxton
05-31-2015, 10:38 PM
I have a DeWalt 611, with both the plunge and the fixed bases. I use it a lot. As best I can tell it is the best of this category.
The LED lighting is terrific.
The bit is at right angles to the base, which is where my old Bosch Colt failed.
It does have some drawbacks. The dust collection is not great in either base; you can collect dust or you can see what you're doing, but not both at the same time. The plunge base is too darn big; the footprint is almost as big as my Festool 1400. Omission of a shaft lock is a big mistake; I'm sure I'm going to eventually rip the power cord off the housing, because that's how I now hold the housing to tighten the collet.

Jamie Buxton
05-31-2015, 10:40 PM
.. Dewalt actually makes one smaller than the 611 as well...

Oh? I'd be interested, but I don't see it on the DeWalt site. Got more info, like a part number?

Tom Giacomo
06-01-2015, 1:02 AM
I also have the Ridgid and love it. Terrific depth control, VS and very convent on/off switch. I use mine for inlay work.

David Bassett
06-01-2015, 1:20 AM
Oh? I'd be interested, but I don't see it on the DeWalt site. Got more info, like a part number?

Sorry, I don't have a model number at hand. I looked at it at Lowes and didn't feel it would do what I want. It was fixed (high) speed, (even) lower power, and didn't seem sized to take any of the accessories. It was, what I think are called, a laminate trimmer. I'm very happy with the DeWalt 611 as my only hand router, but I'm not a power user and and have access to a big table router for heavy-duty cutting.

Victor Robinson
06-01-2015, 2:23 AM
Omission of a shaft lock is a big mistake; I'm sure I'm going to eventually rip the power cord off the housing, because that's how I now hold the housing to tighten the collet.

What's the yellow button at the bottom of the motor housing then? Thought that was the shaft lock...at least it works as one... :cool:

William Adams
06-01-2015, 6:58 AM
Not going to put it forward as best, but was glad to be able to buy a Makita RT-0701 from a local dealer. Mostly I use it in a small hobby-level CNC, which probably explains the appeal, since the things which it gets dinged on in reviews (will drop to bottom when released from the lock in the base, lack of light) don’t apply to the CNC usage.

Still debating getting the balance of the accessories.

Curt Harms
06-01-2015, 8:00 AM
Does anyone have the Grizzly T27139? If it's decent, it's on sale now for $59.99 with both bases. I have a Bosch Colt and like it - I was able to get the fine depth adjustment to work reasonably by adjusting the base clamping pressure. The Bosch plunge base for the Colt seems to go for $85 - $89 just for the base.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/T27139

Jamie Buxton
06-01-2015, 10:26 AM
What's the yellow button at the bottom of the motor housing then? Thought that was the shaft lock...at least it works as one... :cool:

Yeah, you're right. It is a shaft lock. I didn't write the problem out clearly. The shaft lock does lock the shaft, but the diameter of the housing is small enough that I can't hold it hard enough to really wrench on the collect. That's why I brace on the strain relief for the power cord. If they had a flat spot on the shaft, like many routers, I could use two wrenches.

Rod Sheridan
06-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Hi Rich, I have a Porter Cable which I've used 3 or 4 times for laminate trimming. It works fine for that..........Rod.

glenn bradley
06-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Your satisfaction with the current offerings will vary with your intended use. If you want a small router to get into tight spots or for delicate work, the Bosch Colt would be my choice. If you just want a smaller, lighter router for tasks you might usually use a 1-1/4HP unit for, the DeWalt would be my choice because I like their depth control better. If you will primarily use a plunge base I would return to the Bosch as my choice since their plunge is more comfortable and predictable for me. I think the "feel" of a router comes into play in decision making more than with any other tailed tool. Try to get your hands on one to decide.

P.s. I use two wrenches for collet changes on the Bosch so I can't comment on the spindle lock.

Jim German
06-01-2015, 11:16 AM
I really liked the Dewalt 611. The two basis on the 611PK version makes it very handy for alot of tasks, and its got plenty of power. I got it for doing inlays but started using it for almost every that uses a smallish bit. I've never had a problem with the shaftlock not holding well enough. I found bit changes on it to be quite easy. I did a video review of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXs0s2kEbVE

Bill McNiel
06-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Interesting timing for this post, yesterday I was using my DW 611 and realized that it has become my favorite router (I have 7). Everything about it really pleases me - (balance, weight, visibility, bit change, height adjustment, light, both the fixed/offset and plunge base). Only downside is my tendency to use it instead of its larger brothers. Great value tool.

BTW-I'm not really a big DW fan but this little router truly kicks.

Mike Wilkins
06-01-2015, 3:31 PM
Different reply from me on this subject. I currently have 6 laminate trimmers of various brands: 2 Porter-Cable, 2 Dewalts, one Ryobi and one Bosch that is mounted in a plunge base. Yes I have a router problem. All fit my hand nicely and a couple have a bit permanently installed for a quick grab and go.
If I were in the market today, the new Bosch would be at the top of the list. Love that had-sized grip.

Larry Edgerton
06-01-2015, 4:17 PM
If you can find one, the Porter Cable 310 is the benchmark.

Another power tool that I would've bought a case of had I known they were going to be discontinued.

When I found out they were going out of production I bought 7 new ones. Still have nine. Not sure how many are in a case?

Mark Carlson
06-01-2015, 7:43 PM
I've been buying PC-310's on ebay. Found two brand new ones and a used one in great conditions with the tilt base. Now have 3. Sellers want a pretty penny for them.

When I found out they were going out of production I bought 7 new ones. Still have nine. Not sure how many are in a case?

Larry Edgerton
06-01-2015, 8:04 PM
I've been buying PC-310's on ebay. Found two brand new ones and a used one in great conditions with the tilt base. Now have 3. Sellers want a pretty penny for them.

I have one with a tilt as well. I bought a new one with a Betterly miter folder and another with a Betterly slitter when Formica was popular. Ya, I'm that old........