PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Tools (Thanks, B. Smalser)

Lewis Lamb
08-13-2005, 2:59 AM
I probably owe Bob Smalser for the fact that I undertook to make some tools/handles in my own little corner of the garage. I've really enjoyed seeing the tools, etc., that he makes, so I started piddling around with some here over the last few weeks. The mallet and router collect wrench are made out of padauk and maple. The X-acto knife handle is padauk. The screwdriver handle is padauk and yellowheart (at least, I think that's what it is). The screwdriver and X-acto handles were "turned" on my drill press (I now covet a lathe). Most of the wood came from a sample pack I bought at Woodcraft a while back; the screwdriver bit holder is just an off-the-shelf Bosch bit holder I got at Lowe's for 3 bucks. I must admit that I was very pleased with the way they turned out, since these were the first things like this I've ever tried to make. I particularly like the screwdriver handle - it's way more comfortable to use than the typical store bought variety, and it was way cheaper than the $40+ LN version that I've envied for a while.

Richard Wolf
08-13-2005, 9:01 AM
Nice work, welcome to the creek!

Richard

Jim Dunn
08-13-2005, 9:07 AM
Real nice pieces! I especially like the wrench handle for the router. Those thin handles are hard on the ole hands.

jay hanks
08-13-2005, 9:45 AM
"The screwdriver and X-acto handles were "turned" on my drill press"

How hard was that to do? I dont have a lathe and I have seen that done in a book that I have. That stuff looks great by the way

Jim W. White
08-13-2005, 1:35 PM
Those are really sweet!!! ...the inspiration from thisboard is really awesome isn't it. I just LOVE seeing other people's work!

Dan Forman
08-13-2005, 4:35 PM
Very nice!! I too would like to know more about turning on a drill press.

Dan

Jim Dunn
08-13-2005, 6:45 PM
I have heard that turning on a drill press takes it's tole on bearings, as they aren't designed for lateral pressure. Would think that turning would have to be done very slowly. I suppose you could fabricate a tool holder that uses 2 cutters, one on each side, and turn with the spindle by moving it vertically. Just my humble opinion.

Jim

Steve Clardy
08-15-2005, 5:13 PM
Real nice pieces! I especially like the wrench handle for the router. Those thin handles are hard on the ole hands.

Ditto!!!!;)