PDA

View Full Version : Gravograph LS100 high pitch noise

brad keimach
05-31-2015, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm new the forum and have a question.
I bought an LS100 second hand several months ago.
I've been using it without any issues till this morning when i powered up.
I'm getting a very high pitch noise, seems like it's from the tube.
Wanted to know if anybody encountered this kind of thing before?
Do I need a new tube already?

Thanks in advance of any info you might have

-Brad

Mike Null
05-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Brad

Welcome to SMC. I can't say I've ever heard of a tube making such a noise. Did the machine function ok otherwise or is there something else that isn't quite right?

I think I'd be checking the movement of the carriage in both the x and y axes. Do that first by hand then move the head with the arrow keys using the motors. I'm thinking that something might be binding thus causing a motor to squeal.

brad keimach
05-31-2015, 5:22 PM
Hi Mike,

Yes, the machine functioned properly one day and the next is making this very loud high pitch sound.
It seems to be coming from the tube, also the sound pitch changes.
The X, Y, and auto Z function properly.
I'll try reaching out to Gravograph tomorrow and see what they say....cha ching.

Thanks

Kev Williams
06-01-2015, 12:54 AM
When and how does it make the noise?
Constant noise while lasering? Or only when the tube fires? For example, run a 1" long rectangle, a 3" space, another 1" rectangle--
is the noise the same as it rasters across the dead space?
Does the pitch change as the head changes direction, or remain the same? When and/or how does the pitch change?
Does it make the same noise at different power levels?
Does it make the same noise at different speeds?

If the tube is making the noise, it should only make it while firing, not while rastering dead air space--

Otherwise, sound's like something mechanical, bad bearing, stepper motor, etc...

Do you have air assist on that machine? My LS900's air assist is connected to the back of the machine, and is turned on and off by a relay.
The air pressure is regulated with a knob next to the control panel-- Just wondering if you may have the air on and something is causing
it whistle in some way...