PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Goblet

Woody Woodbury
05-31-2015, 11:18 AM
When turning a goblet does the pith need to be centered or can it be off to one side. Blank is about 6 in in diameter 12 in in length and has air dried for years. No cracks.

Thanks

Roger Chandler
05-31-2015, 2:06 PM
When turning a goblet does the pith need to be centered or can it be off to one side. Blank is about 6 in in diameter 12 in in length and has air dried for years. No cracks.

Thanks

It would be best if you can find a piece of wood without the pith in it. A pith always invites some risk of cracking, but if you cannot use a piece with no pith, then make sure at least you stabilize the pith with a good soaking of thin CA glue.......on both the top and bottom of your form......then cross your fingers and hope for a while........it may work out, but there is a risk and if you can do center the pith.

I would say, that after two years of drying, your chances of success are pretty decent, as long as there is no major tension in the grain.

Doug Ladendorf
05-31-2015, 2:25 PM
One of the "Hands On Workshops" this year at our club was turning a goblet. I did not participate in that workshop but at the show-and-tell one of the attendees was explaining that they used a branch piece specifically because the pith would be off center, and thus cause less trouble. I believe they were working with wet wood. I suspect like many things there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Brian Kent
05-31-2015, 5:31 PM
I make many many many goblets and never turn the pith. If I am dealing with a smaller piece, I make smaller goblets. I have tried, but in addition to the cracking, I have also had pith chunks fall out of the stem.

Paul Williams
05-31-2015, 8:53 PM
I try not to have the pith, but have turned a few with the pith off center. I do not think I would turn a goblet with the pith in the stem.

Dennis Ford
05-31-2015, 9:09 PM
When I turn goblets from wet wood, I like the pith off-center so that it will not be part of the goblet stem. I have never had any luck drying whole log sections so no experience with pith and dry wood.

John K Jordan
05-31-2015, 9:55 PM
I do a lot of spindle turning and have made lots of goblets goblet-like things. I process a lot of green wood for spindle turning. I personally remove the pith with the bandsaw, usually very soon after the tree is cut, by sectioning the round into a variety of turning squares to air dry. One reason is to see what is inside: what might be spectacular and what to burn; another reason is to aid in drying. I would not be surprised if a 6" diameter limb is not yet dry inside. For example, I usually air dry a 3x3 for 5 years or more. You didn't mention the type of wood but some is a lot worse than others.

I have seen people turn long-stemmed goblets from a limb with the pith but it was always with green wood. They would keep the wood wet while turning by spraying with water, turn very thin, and let it warp "artistically".

With your 6" round, I would consider slicing it now down the pith, check for defects and moisture content, then turn a few smaller goblets or some other things. If not quite dry in the middle, you can probably dry it quickly with the microwave method.

If you are short on goblet turning wood, drop by TN - I have plenty of dry goblet-sized turning squares in local cherry, dogwood, sassafras, osage orange, persimmon, walnut, maple, hickory, elm, eastern red cedar, black locust, and who knows what else. I find ERC especially nice to turn, stable, and often has fantastic figure.

JKJ

Bill Blasic
06-01-2015, 6:25 AM
Why not just give it a try, if there are no cracks after a number of years have at it. I think it would look better if the pith was centered.

Woody Woodbury
06-01-2015, 9:23 AM
Thanks to all for your inputs. This is my first goblet and the wood was free. Just found out it is russian olive. The pith runs diagonal from end to end through the piece so it's ether using it for firewood or giving it a go. I'll post the results after the attempt. Thanks

Randy Red Bemont
06-01-2015, 10:33 AM
I would give it a go. You have nothing to loose and could end up with a beautiful goblet. Either way you will end up with more experience than you have now and that is priceless. I hope it comes out fantastic!

Red

Kyle Iwamoto
06-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm in the avoid the pith camp. I'd not try that if the pith is diagonal, depending on how thin you turn the stem, it could be very weak and break. You could get by if you left the stem fairly thick.

I'd use that wood for other smaller projects! It's nice wood. A box, or several boxes comes to mind.

Jon McElwain
06-01-2015, 7:54 PM
I was visiting a high end gallery at the Empress Hotel in Victoria British Columbia a couple of years ago and saw some nice turnings there. I was looking at one and the smug sales lady came over telling me how I deserved to treat myself to one of these $10,000 wood vases (about 15" dia, 20" tall). Being a turner I was not about to even entertain laying down thousands of dollars for a medium size vase. The piece was displayed at just below eye level, so I could not see inside, but I could tell that it was turned with the pith through the middle. The lady was going on about how satisfying it is to own fine art etc., so I told her that her vase was cracked on the bottom (where I could not see it). She was indignant and explained that they only sell the finest quality etc. etc.. I said that I was sure it was a fine piece, but that it had a little crack in the center of the bottom. She finally picked it up and looked at the bottom - sure enough, a little crack through the pith. I grinned a little and walked out in victory. :D

Joe Bradshaw
06-01-2015, 9:30 PM
Woody, I turn a lot of goblets from branch wood. I off set the centers from the pith. I like the natural edge, plus I shoot for 1/8" dia. stems. That way, I only have the pith in the bottom and the base. I turn them green and let the wood move. I go for thin walls and bases and have so far been successful.
Joe

Woody Woodbury
06-02-2015, 1:36 PM
Finished the goblet. It was something new and turned out ok.Think the stem could have been a little thinner.

Peter Fabricius
06-02-2015, 2:18 PM
Nice goblet, Woody
I really like turning Russian Olive, it looks like you got the pith off to one side of the stem, I always aim for this as well.
If you get the pith in the stem it will weaken the stem considerably and even just break it in the finishing stages!!!
Another really nice wood to make goblets from is Purple Heart.
See pic of my Wedding Goblet style. They sell well and are exciting for a bride and groom to drink their wedding toast from. Finished in Walnut Oil, Bees Wax and a little Carnuba in a mix.

Peter F.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-02-2015, 2:35 PM
Nice work!

I love turning goblets with the captive ring pair. Something to do with all of that "wasted" wood....

Woody Woodbury
06-02-2015, 8:17 PM
WOW that is nice!