PDA

View Full Version : This rust hunt had papers with it

steven c newman
05-31-2015, 10:29 AM
An early morning rust hunt. Not too much at the one place, just a rusty, old jack plane......$3

Got this "treasure" home, and set it aside for a bit.

Decided to at least clean it up a bit as it looked a bit beat up
The dovetail saw came from another sale that day..$5
Anyway, took the iron down to the shop, wanted to see if there was a stamp on it

Yep, bid,old STANLEY across the top of the iron. But..right below that was a "Pat. APL. 19 92"
Ok, iron is a bit old. Frog was a type 2, also old. Cleaned the lateral lever of all that red stuff.....STANLEY appeared, something else was there? Ah, three small patent dates. Cleaned the small, brass wheel. Right hand threads? Lots of dates scratched on the inside of the wheel? Hmm. Thing is getting older by the minute. Wood handles were rosewood, too. Not a mark on the lever cap, though, rather a plain jane.

But, as I was removing the handles to clean the base casting....a little, folded neatly, piece of yellowish paper appeared from under the rear handle....lines on the paper like a reciept? Some faded black writing?
H W Eaton
Miamisburg Oh
March 18, 1899

So it appears a Mister Eaton purchased a plane one fine spring morning in 1899? stashed the paper away for now, and finished cleaning this old plane
Sides are no longer rusty,
Brass has a shine to it.
The LOW knob might need a wax. There is a "No 5" right in front of the knob. Brass nuts have no "waist" and are a bit long.
The iron with the STANLEY stamp, with a "Pat. APL 19 92" under it.
Top view. This shows where someone added two counter sunk holes to attach a fence of some sort. May have even been Mr. Eaton. Holes look the same age as the rest of the plane.
But, the sole seems to be flat, and has zero cracks. The only "pitting" is those two holes. I don't think I can "lap" them out.

$3 Jack plane by Stanley. Maybe a type 5 or 6? The piece of paper is rather small, and was folded to fit into the hollow under the rear handle's base on the casting. Have it sitting aside for now, not sure what to do with it.

Guess one never knows what they will be picking up on a Rust Hunt.:D

Bill White
05-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Don't ya just love it when somethin' like that pops up unexpectedly.
Bill

Jim Koepke
05-31-2015, 11:49 AM
With three patent dates on the lateral it is a type 6. A type 5 only has two patent dates, iirc.

Did you notice any markings on the chip breaker? Some of the type 6s still have a patent date there. If the blade is the original, then it would be a late type 6.

The depth adjuster should be the opposite of the later Stanley/Bailey planes.

There are a few of these in my shop. They are great users.

jtk

William Adams
05-31-2015, 12:15 PM
If you’re not going to do anything else w/ the paper you should put it back — maybe add your own name / date to a second piece of acid-free paper written in pencil or an archival ink.

steven c newman
05-31-2015, 7:36 PM
I may use the plane. Already have both a Millers falls No.14, and a Sargent #414. Plus a dedicated scrub jack. This old timer can sit for awhile if it wants, seems to have earned that right.

Now, IF I should put the paper back, there is a very good chance I might forget about it being there. Right now, there is no plan to even repair the damaged rear handle. It is missing a horn.

May scrounge a small picture frame, print out a photo of the plane, add the reciept, and hang them both up as a wall decoration. printer only has black ink right now....it might just fit that way. A B&W photo, and the reciept.

All this for a $3 plane....

steven c newman
06-01-2015, 3:09 PM
I did set things up for a test drive
discovered a nick or two in the edge. Guess I will have to get rid of that
Instead of screwing a fence on to it, I just used my index finger to guide it along. Not a bas old plane, actually. Might be worth the $3?

Tony Shea
06-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Instead of screwing a fence on to it, I just used my index finger to guide it along.

Hmm, now where and why would you screw a fence on it?

steven c newman
06-02-2015, 12:32 PM
maybe as a small jointer, when doing a sticky door? Or a sticky window?

Two #8 sized counter sunk holes, along the left hand side.
Yep, they had a fence attached there.

Al Launier
06-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Rust hunt??? Looks like you found gold. Nice catch indeed!!!

Malcolm Schweizer
06-02-2015, 1:22 PM
I love stuff like this. I pulled up my 179 year old marble floors to repair some damaged pieces and in the aggregate I found some old pottery pieces and under the wood floors found some clay marbles. I am waiting for the day I find the long lost stash of gold coins, but a note from the original owner would be just as exciting. Camille Pisarro lived a few doors away, and I was hoping to find a lost Pisarro painting in the attic, but no such luck. :-)

steven c newman
06-12-2015, 8:46 AM
Just a "Bump" for those that missed this "Bottom Feeder" find....