PDA

View Full Version : Finished my Roubo Build

Patrick Harper
05-31-2015, 10:06 AM

It took me about 4 and a half month’s but it’s finally complete. It’s made entirely of construction grade SYP, and weighs about 350lbs. I went with the Bench Crafted classic leg vise with criss-cross. I can’t say enough good things about this vise. Originally, I had planned to go with through tenons. I decided against this, as it just wasn’t necessary for me. I wanted to save some time with the build, so I could get back to work with other projects.

Most of the design comes from Chris Schwarz’s Workbench books, but I also received some good advice from the online community. I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I documented the entire build in detail in hopes that I might help others contemplating similar builds.

Check out the detailed build here: Roubo Workbench Build (http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2015/01/04/2015-roubo-build/)

Brian Holcombe
05-31-2015, 10:44 AM
Nice work Patrick!

Doug Ladendorf
05-31-2015, 10:51 AM
Nice Job Patrick! You are going to love that bench. I've been drooling over the Benchcrafted hardware for years now but enjoying vicariously. The sliding deadman is a nice feature. Let us know how you like it after using a while.

Doug

Christopher Charles
05-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Congrats! Great looking bench and looking forward to seeing the projects start to roll off.

cheers
chris

ian maybury
05-31-2015, 1:51 PM
Another beaut. The SYP has really taken off as the laterial of practical choice...

Patrick Harper
05-31-2015, 6:24 PM
Thanks guys!

The SYP is cheap and nice to plane. The problem is that it's hard to get nice boards, the resin builds up on your tools, and there's generally a lot of tension built up in these boards. Some of my straighter boards ended up looking like bananas after ripping them on the bandsaw.

Tom M King
05-31-2015, 7:56 PM
It looks good now, but it will look even better as it ages.

Rich Riddle
05-31-2015, 9:23 PM
Great job. I appreciate the documentation you provided. How frequently did you work on the bench?

Reinis Kanders
05-31-2015, 9:38 PM
Looks like a tiger:) Nice job.

Patrick Harper
06-01-2015, 7:14 AM
Great job. I appreciate the documentation you provided. How frequently did you work on the bench?

Pretty much every day. If I had to do it again, I could probably do it in half the time. The most tedious thing was milling all of the boards. I don't have a powered jointer, so it to a bit to get 8 ft long boards straight and flat by hand.

Jeff Ranck
06-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Good job Patrick!