PDA

View Full Version : New Bed Project...Part 3

John Scane
08-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Here's the next installment of pics. I haven't had much time to work on it in the last week.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/js040667/headboard_legs.jpg

Bed legs and rough nightstand legs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/js040667/ns_legs_rough_template.jpg

nightstand leg glued up and ready to be shaped. I first rough cut them on the bandsaw then glued using biscuits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/js040667/tools-_shaping.jpg

Some of the tools I use to shape legs, I think I will also use the same tools to shape headboard. I might buy a power hand plane ( any suggestions on what brand ? )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/js040667/action_legs.jpg

Action shot when a friend stopped by. It took a whole day of shaping these things by hand but I am starting to like the shape. I will have to trim them to the right length and width and then final shape and sand them. I could have done this faster if I had glued up smaller widths that were preshaped with a template and router table. I will probably do that next time because while rewarding to hand plane and shape it's not very economical.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/js040667/nitestand_legs_shaped.jpg

Here's 3 of them ready to be finished.

Anyway I will post more when I get a chance. Thanks for looking.

Jason Tuinstra
08-13-2005, 1:05 AM
Ah... the fun work. :p It's looking nice John. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Chris Padilla
08-13-2005, 2:47 AM
Yum, tasty-looking frothy shaving you got there. Put them on your eggs in the morning...delicious!! :)

Looks great...very nice shape.

Greg Ladd
08-13-2005, 6:00 AM
John,

Nice work as usual.

It looks as if you have a Festool sander in the background of one of the photos. Why not consider the Festool planer? I saw David Marks using it on the TV the other day. It looked as if it did a very nice job.

Greg

Brian Hale
08-13-2005, 6:21 AM
Looking good John!!! Don't ya just love flopping big chunks wood around the shop!

Man i wish my shop was as big as your's, looks like a real pleasure to work in.

Keep us posted.
Brian :)

John Hart
08-13-2005, 7:32 AM
Beautiful work John! I like your technique....You're a better man than I! :)

Byron Trantham
08-13-2005, 7:41 AM
John, beautiful hand work. It may be tedious but it is very self satisfying. Besides, think of all the electrons you saved! :D

Earl Kelly
08-13-2005, 8:13 AM
John, noticed you have a Lancealot cutter. Have you tried the Galahad, kinda like a carbide burr only much bigger and easier to control than the chainsaw blade. It works about like 16 grit sandpaper.

Nice work on the legs, lots of sanding I'm sure. I enjoy the pics.

Mike Cutler
08-13-2005, 8:30 AM
Nice work so far John. It looks like the project is going well. I have a Dewalt hand planer, and all I can say is that it does what it is supposed too. It's loud, it shoots shavings everywhere, and makes a heck of a mess, but you can buy one in any big box store. Personally I'd look for one a little better, with dust/chip collection.
Keep us posted on the progress. I love that bubinga that you have for this project.

Mark Singer
08-13-2005, 8:57 AM
John,

Looking good! Very nice contours!

Jim Becker
08-13-2005, 9:29 AM
Looking good, John. Those are really sexy legs!

As to the shaping of future versions...personally, I'd stay with the way you're doing it. Shaping narrower strips and then gluing up is going to give you many glue joints which are not generally going to be as attractive as what you're going here with three boards glued up...or even a single wide board. ;)

John Scane
08-13-2005, 1:41 PM
Thanks Guys,

Today I'm hoping to cut into some of the Bubinga, I made the templates for the nightstand tops and headboard yesterday out of MDF. SO after this reply i'm off to the shop.

John, noticed you have a Lancealot cutter. Have you tried the Galahad, kinda like a carbide burr only much bigger and easier to control than the chainsaw blade. It works about like 16 grit sandpaper.

Nice work on the legs, lots of sanding I'm sure. I enjoy the pics.

No i've never tried that. the Lancelalot is a little tricky to control, I think I will look into the Galahad. Thanks for the tip.

"Don't ya just love flopping big chunks wood around the shop!"

Yea! ever since I started working with bigger slabs I keep thinking I need a 20" jointer and planer ..... A friend of mine has an old silver maple tree he cutting down and he said I could have it. Do you think it's worth it ? It has about a 4 foot trunk. I've never milled wood like that but It seems like it would be great.

Joe Unni
08-13-2005, 3:51 PM
Very nice John. I look forward to the continued progress.

-joe

Christian Aufreiter
08-14-2005, 8:07 AM
Hi John,

that's some great work you do. I enjoyed the pics a lot.
But being a tool junkie I was almost more impressed of your shop. :rolleyes: I do think we need a shop tour. :)

Have a nice day!

Christian