PDA

View Full Version : Infill in Honduran rosewood entered in DelMar fair competition

Juan Hovey
05-31-2015, 8:12 AM
Hail, fellow atavists: Haven't hung out here in a while but wanted to post pix of a new infill that I've entered in the "Design in Wood" competition at this year's Del Mar fair - actually, the San Diego County Fair, running through the end of June and well worth seeing for anyone who spends his or her days knee deep in sawdust.

Here are the details:

Honduran rosewood infill with a hand-rubbed Tried and True Danish Oil finish, topped with Myland wax and rubbed to a high sheen.
Mild steel sides dovetailed and pinned to 0-1 tool steel base, all 1/4 inch thick.
A-2 tool steel iron, 1/4 inch thick, beveled at 30 degrees plus microbevel and pitched at 45 degrees
True cyma curve from the tip of the crown to the point where a 1inch arc rises to touch the back of the iron, with the radii of the two arcs in the cyma curve in the proportions of a golden rectangle.

This is one of my "shorebird" planes - so-called because the crown resembles the head and bill of the many shorebirds my wife and I see Sunday afternoons on the beach in Shell Beach, CA, half an hour north of home in Santa Maria.

Jerry Thompson
05-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Art takes many forms. This is art.

Jim Koepke
05-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Just because it isn't to my tastes doesn't mean it isn't beautiful.

Good luck and let us know how this beauty does in the show.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
05-31-2015, 3:33 PM
Nice work Juan. Let us know how she does in the show. Good luck!