PDA

View Full Version : Countersink sets and set screws

David Ragan
05-30-2015, 6:42 PM
Does anybody worry about whether they are messing up the flutes/lands/cutting edge when cranking down the set screw in the countersink sets?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAB0nugt2z8QCKiJAa17P2JsGcC348u UCxYsc1humqYSAsMyXd

Phil Thien
05-30-2015, 7:06 PM
The HSS bit is so hard that a set screw shouldn't even leave a mark.

I had a set of those where the set screw would strip the threads of the collars. I had purchased them inexpensively on eBay. I got what I paid for.

I imagine the Fuller and other non-Chinese ones are much better.

John C Bush
05-30-2015, 8:52 PM
I also had the offshore selection and the drills broke when drilling in hard woods. Couldn't have been operator hurry-up error!! Best to buy better quality. Look for drills with more closely spaced flutes.

Tom M King
05-30-2015, 9:10 PM
I have a set of Fullers (I think-in the orange block of wood anyway) that are probably 40 years old, and still work fine. I've replaced some of the drill bits because of wear, but not from the set screws.

John K Jordan
05-30-2015, 10:03 PM
The spiral cutting edge does very little except provide a new sharp point when sharpening the bit. In fact, for bits intended to be guided by holes drilled in jigs I use a Dremel to dull most of the sharp spiral edge, starting close to the tip. This does not affect drilling the hole but does allow the land to run smoothly in the guide hole without cutting into and enlarging the guide hole. The point of all this: I wouldn't worry about a set screw messing up the edge. Even if you cranked down and chipped the edge it should not hurt anything.