PDA

View Full Version : I am ready for it to stop, we have had enough rain...

Bill Huber
05-30-2015, 10:21 AM
I am just sick of it, all the lakes are over full, a year ago they were all down and now they are letting water out so it won't go over the dam.
It is hard for me to get to my little shop, the backyard is like a swamp.

I just do not understand people, they will drive around a barricade and then try and drive though the water and get stuck. Now they want the fire department to come get them out. It is one thing to get stuck in water when there is no barricade but to drive around it is just nuts.

I have a weather station in my backyard and this is the data for May.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Wow Bill, that's an incredible amount of rain for an area that isn't usually wet. I feel your pain, we are getting the leftovers of the storms that hit you. It's not quite as wet here, but the 10 year drought we suffered through is pretty much completely over. Can't farm because it keeps raining, flooding and barricades here too. Haven't heard of any stupid people stunts with the flooding yet, but I'm sure it'll happen.

Phil Thien
05-30-2015, 10:55 AM
That chart tells the story, that is pretty ugly.

The wheels would fall off the bus up here if we got that much rain.

Bert Kemp
05-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Here in AZ we have whats called The Stupid Motorist Law it state that if some one drives thru a marked area into water and gets stuck they have to pay for the rescue which costs big bucks.
The 'Stupid Motorist Law,' which corresponds to section 28-910 of the Arizona Revised Statutes, states that any motorist who becomes stranded after driving around barricades to enter a flooded stretch of roadway may be charged for the cost of his/her rescue,” according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Motorist_Law).

Bill Huber
05-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Wow Bill, that's an incredible amount of rain for an area that isn't usually wet. I feel your pain, we are getting the leftovers of the storms that hit you. It's not quite as wet here, but the 10 year drought we suffered through is pretty much completely over. Can't farm because it keeps raining, flooding and barricades here too. Haven't heard of any stupid people stunts with the flooding yet, but I'm sure it'll happen.

There was an area that was closed yesterday and big trucks could not even get though it. Well today it is still closed but this small car thought the barricades were for someone else and went around them, well now the car is setting in 3 feet of water, maybe they just wanted a new car or something.

Bill Huber
05-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Here in AZ we have whats called The Stupid Motorist Law it state that if some one drives thru a marked area into water and gets stuck they have to pay for the rescue which costs big bucks.
The 'Stupid Motorist Law,' which corresponds to section 28-910 of the Arizona Revised Statutes, states that any motorist who becomes stranded after driving around barricades to enter a flooded stretch of roadway may be charged for the cost of his/her rescue,” according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Motorist_Law).

Now that is a good idea, they need to do that here in Texas, we have a lot of stupid motorists around here.

Wade Lippman
05-30-2015, 11:11 AM
25 years ago the only road to where I lived was barricaded off because of a fallen power line. Well, the line was dead and wouldn't be fixed for days, and it was several feet above car level, so what heck; it was that or not going home for a week. (isn't a car a Faraday cage anyhow?)

The car ahead of me stopped and went through as slowly as possible. That struck me as peculiar; wouldn't you want to go as fast as possible to minimize your time under the line?

Bruce Page
05-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Wow Bill, that's a lot of rain! 1.69" today!?!
We have had a wetter than normal spring this year, enough to really ease the statewide drought we've been experiencing.

We drove across northern Texas just as all this started. I am so glad we didn't hit any of the really bad weather.

George Bokros
05-30-2015, 12:54 PM
That is one heck of lot of rain you have measured Bill. People that risk their lives driving into flooded areas are just plain stupid. I once drove through about 4-5 inches of water and I could feel my pickup truck trying to floatr. I have hedr that as little as 8" of water will float a bus.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2015, 1:12 PM
Sorry the problems you are experiencing Bill!

We would welcome it up here. We are in drought conditions and the fire season this year in the Pacific Northwest should be interesting!

Rick Potter
05-30-2015, 1:24 PM
What we need are some pipelines, all heading to the southwest. Sounds like a shovel ready job to me. Too difficult? Not for previous generations of Americans.

Rick Moyer
05-30-2015, 4:53 PM
I saw on TV today, 17"+ for some areas there in May so far. Wow. We could use some here, but isn't that the way it often is? My cousin and family live in San Antonio, I know it's bad.

George Bokros
05-30-2015, 7:00 PM
Hope your shop is ok Bill.

Jim Matthews
05-31-2015, 6:16 AM
Sounds like you're getting all the precip California didn't.

Everybody will take a lesson from the incautious, and avoid this
situation while their memory lasts. It's unlikely you'll see flooding like this
again for another 50 years or so.

In that time, another generation of drivers raised on video games will
make the same mistakes.

I lived a short sting near Philadelphia on the New Jersey side, back in the 1990s.

There was a stretch of Admiral Wilson Blvd that dipped below sea level on the way through Camden, NJ.
It floods every time the stormdrains are overfull, it's not rushing water - a momentary lake about three feet deep.

The tow trucks would just wait on the (dry) other side of the barricade until the next Uboat commander
got stuck. Police issued tickets and presented the towing bill before the drivers were released.

They called it "Fishing for idiots", which is funny on many levels.