PDA

View Full Version : Storage under my Dewalt Planer

Andrew Pitonyak
05-30-2015, 9:32 AM
I own a Dewalt surface planer with the Dewalt stand. I like the Dewalt stand but it offers pretty much nothing with respect to storage. The corners of the stand are essentially angle brackets and there is a single shelf midway that stores little to nothing. I decided to build some storage to place in that large open area.

The first problem to solve is related to those angle brackets. I can't just drop something in there and make good use of the space because of the angle bracket corners. So, I measured the angle brackets and built the equivalent of "spice racks" that would fit into two sides. They are just deep enough to fill an angle bracket and that leaves a nice rectangle to accept a little chest of drawers. You can see one of these little storage places on the right in the image below.

For the side storage, I chose some sides, center shelf, and bottom; I used pocket holes to connect them. I then used a very thin plywood back that I tacked in place with some small nails. I cut a shallow mortise for the front pieces so that this can sit flush against the angle brackets. I made this very tight, which meant that I had to then angle the outer sides to somewhat match the curve in the angle bracket or I could not get the pieces in place. I did not notice this before I built them. I noticed when I did a test fit. Used a hand plane to make the angle.
I used scraps to build the two side pieces.
I used Baltic Birch for the case, assembled using pocket screws (thank you kreg, fast and stable).
The front and the back look very similar. Here is the out-feed side.
Here is the in-feed side
Initially I planned on screwing the side storage to the center storage to hold it in place, but, I made a very tight fit and it just is not coming out without a little persuasion.
The drawer sides are Poplar that I had sitting around. The "front" and "back" of the drawers are oak that I had sitting around.

Those are hand-cut dovetails for the drawers . For the recess in the drawer faces I marked them out, did a rough cut with a jig saw, and then tried to shape it using sand paper, rasps, and files. After I did one, I used that as a template and a pattern bit on the router table.
I have some simple ply for the drawer bottoms.

My initial plan was to use full extension drawer slides but (1) I could not decide which side to have the drawers open (to the infeed side near the table saw or the out-feed side away from most things), (2) money is really tight at the moment, and (3) I was in a hurry. So, I made some slides out of oak and now I can open these draws from either side. I made things pretty tight / close. I hope I left sufficient clearance. If not, I can always fix that later since I have room to trim things a wee bit if needed.

Over-all, I am pretty happy with the results. I can drop a few things such as a tape measure into the side compartment. I have my primary saw blades in the drawers as well as a few things such as shims (when I use my planer sled) and other similar small things.

Phil Thien
05-30-2015, 9:42 AM
Very nicely done.

Can you stick the router template to the top drawer and make the recess the same as the bottom two?

Andrew Pitonyak
05-30-2015, 9:49 AM
Very nicely done.

Can you stick the router template to the top drawer and make the recess the same as the bottom two?

I could do that, but since I used the drawer faces as the template, I would need to build a new template since although I can do this to a drawer, I can't use another drawer as the template.