PDA

View Full Version : Strange metal pins

steven c newman
05-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Found in a zip-lock baggie. Mostly solid steel pins of assorted sizes. Couple are hollow. One is a bar stock, with an area ground away in the middle of one face. Still trying to read the numbers of some of them. A look see?
One or two have paint drips on them. The two skinny ones in front are magnetic.
The main group. All of these have a tiny tip on the end, like a nipple. The other group
The skinny pointed one has threads on the end of the pointer. The bar stock has a ground away area. That one in back is almost the same size as a fifty cal bullet. There is a fancy one in this group
In that it's tip will unscrew.

These aren't firing pins. Loading dies? The one with the little threaded rod is a hex shaped bar. Only thing on the baggie was a price...$1

Maybe George Wilson has seen something like these?:confused:

Jim Koepke
05-30-2015, 12:24 AM
Does the end on the one that unscrews look anything like a collet?

Have you tried a scratch test to see if any of them are hardened?

jtk

george wilson
05-30-2015, 7:17 AM
Out of focus as they are,they look like punches for removing pins. The tapered ones are for starting the removal of pins. The parallel ground ones would be for further removal.

Pat Barry
05-30-2015, 10:08 AM
"One man's junk is another man's treasure"

Rick Whitehead
05-30-2015, 12:41 PM
In your third picture, the item that is sixth from the bottom is a machinist's scriber, missing the scribing point.These are still available from places like Enco and McMaster-Carr.
I thought I had seen the ridged pins in Brownell's catalog, described as pins for repairing gunstocks. However, I looked, and the pins they currently are just plain brass pins.
It would really help if you were to show the items in better focus.
Still, not bad for a dollar!
Rick W