PDA

View Full Version : Banjo slipping

Brian Kent
05-29-2015, 10:34 PM
My banjo is slipping on the Delta 46-460. Up until today it has been good for a long time. Now when I turn the banjo handle from vertical to horizontal or a bit past, it slips back. Do you think I should tighten or loosen? I would prefer advice before I accidentally make it worse.

Roger Chandler
05-29-2015, 10:41 PM
My banjo is slipping on the Delta 46-460. Up until today it has been good for a long time. Now when I turn the banjo handle from vertical to horizontal or a bit past, it slips back. Do you think I should tighten or loosen? I would prefer advice before I accidentally make it worse.

Tighten the nut underneath the clamp plate about 1/2 turn.........that should snug it up! Also, one can lubricate the ways a bit too much........if you have done a lot of waxing and such over the months, then take some synthetic pad and run over it a few times to take a bit of the lubrication down a level or two.......see if these don't help you some!

Dennis Ford
05-29-2015, 11:08 PM

If the lever seems to lock up hard when turned 1/4 turn or so; then you need to loosen the nut underneath a LITTLE.
If the lever barely gets tight and can be turned much more than 1/2 turn; then you need to tighten the nut underneath a LITTLE.
There is a sweet spot; too tight or too loose will cause slippage. This is not a difficult job, just try it; you will immediately know if it is better or worse.

Brian Kent
05-29-2015, 11:22 PM
I did a couple of oil and wax finishes recently. I'll clean it up then try the adjustments.

Brian Kent
05-29-2015, 11:50 PM
That worked. I used some mineral spirits and cleaned off the ways. It is working right again. Thank you all.

David C. Roseman
06-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Three or four turns of Teflon tape on the threads will keep the nut snug on the cam post if it tends to loosen on you.