PDA

View Full Version : Need help packing & shipping a music stand

Alan Kalker
05-29-2015, 9:45 PM
I have a bent wood music stand that needs to be packed and shipped across the country. I need help in figuring out the best way to pack this odd shaped object so it is protected and also shipped so it does not break my bank.
Thanks for your help.

Mike Heidrick
05-29-2015, 9:53 PM
Dimensions?

How valuable?

Jim Matthews
05-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Shipping blanket, Ikea pillows to fill spaces and a purpose built crate.

Post the dimensions and weight on Uship.

Jamie Buxton
05-29-2015, 10:15 PM
My guess is that a music stand will fit in a box that UPS will carry. Check out the acceptable dimensions and weight on the UPS site. UPS is much less expensive and much more customer-friendly than LTL freight.

Mike Heidrick
05-30-2015, 6:55 AM
Also how much can it be broken down?

There are pelican cases, music purpose built cases, disply equipment cases - there is a lot of potential. Gun cases for multiple guns is another. Hence all my questions. Foam, 1X, and hardboard can make an excellent case.

Fred Heenie
Definitely need more info. FWIW, I ship kneelers and small computer desks nationally. I ship in a box, some of the time fabricated from 2 boxes and contents protected in sheet foam installation or spray in installation foam. Secure the contents to the carton. I use FedEx ground but ups does the same. Big issue, if I ship a KD or fold up version the cost as about half of the same item when set up. The parcel carrier has helpful customer service.

Jim Matthews
Given my experience with two UPS "insurance" claims, I would not
consider shipping anything unique with them.

With any carrier I recommend packing as if the box will be damaged.

UPS will challenge your packing methods, valuation and assessed damages if there's a claim.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2011/02/16/troubleshooters-ups-customers-denied-damage-claims-after-failing-to-follow-packing-guidel/

http://consumerist.com/2012/02/01/ups-plays-blame-game-after-5000-package-gets-damaged/

http://www.pressroom.ups.com/Fact+Sheets/ci.UPS+Declared+Value+Q%26A.print

Pat Barry
05-30-2015, 9:19 AM
Bubble wrap (large bubbles, not those small ones) and a large box. If you are concerned about damage yo could line the box with some hardboard first to give additional structural protection without a lot of extra weight

Alan Kalker
05-30-2015, 9:49 AM

H - 45"
W - 22"
D - 19

The part that holds the music is removable. The based is fixed.
Value: around $2,500 - $3,000. It's various kinds of maple. The part that holds the music is fully functional and all wood - goes up and down and also tilts.

Scott Brandstetter
05-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Alan
I happen to be in the packaging business so let me suggest a few things. First of all, whether it's ups or fedex, shipping cost for this item will be based on DIM Weight. That means your expense will not be based on true weight, but on what they calculate the DIM Weight to be. Point of this is that the smaller the carton, the less freight, big time. With that said, I would google local packaging suppliers and ask them if they carry a product called Instapak Quick, made by Sealed Air Corporation. (you can google this and see how it works) Basically its a bag that has two chambers with chemicals and when you apply pressure the two chambers "poP and the chemicals mix and instantly begin to rise. It will conform to any shape and is the highest level of packaging you can provide short of building a wooden crate and shipping ltl.

I would take the top off, wrap that in 1/2 inch bubble wrap (get it at the same packaging dist) Before placing anything in the box, put two layers of bw on the bottom of the box, then put one instapak quick on each end of the box. As the material starts to rise, gently place your stand on the rising foam. You want approx two inches all around the stand for proper support. Once the foam stops rising, place the top wrapped in bw in the box, pop two more bags, one on each end, and as they rise close the box and tape it. This should more than protect your project.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. If you could get to a sales rep at the pkg company and talked to them nicely explaining what you are doing, they would probably give you the instapak quick free. Most have plenty of samples at their facility.

Scott Brandstetter
05-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Alan
I forgot to mention that Sealed Air has two types of instapak quick. If you happen to get the kind that needs to be warmed, simply place in oven at your lowest temp for 20 minutes or so.

Here is a link to their video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K8Q1uLKI7U

Alan
I happen to be in the packaging business so let me suggest a few things. First of all, whether it's ups or fedex, shipping cost for this item will be based on DIM Weight. That means your expense will not be based on true weight, but on what they calculate the DIM Weight to be. Point of this is that the smaller the carton, the less freight, big time. With that said, I would google local packaging suppliers and ask them if they carry a product called Instapak Quick, made by Sealed Air Corporation. (you can google this and see how it works) Basically its a bag that has two chambers with chemicals and when you apply pressure the two chambers "poP and the chemicals mix and instantly begin to rise. It will conform to any shape and is the highest level of packaging you can provide short of building a wooden crate and shipping ltl.

I would take the top off, wrap that in 1/2 inch bubble wrap (get it at the same packaging dist) Before placing anything in the box, put two layers of bw on the bottom of the box, then put one instapak quick on each end of the box. As the material starts to rise, gently place your stand on the rising foam. You want approx two inches all around the stand for proper support. Once the foam stops rising, place the top wrapped in bw in the box, pop two more bags, one on each end, and as they rise close the box and tape it. This should more than protect your project.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. If you could get to a sales rep at the pkg company and talked to them nicely explaining what you are doing, they would probably give you the instapak quick free. Most have plenty of samples at their facility.

Jim Matthews
05-30-2015, 3:21 PM
Sweet piece.

kudos