PDA

View Full Version : Question to replace woodburning boards..

Ed Aumiller
05-29-2015, 9:23 PM
Made a cutting board as a wedding gift for a great-niece and my son woodburned their names / date on it..
Now we have a LOT more weddings coming up !! And some of them know about it..
Making the boards is super easy but asking my son to woodburn another 10 or more boards is way to much to ask..
Want another method to do it..
Thinking of a small laser setup or a small CNC to engrave the names..
Need to engrave / rout / burn about 8” x 12”..
There are 40w lasers for about $400-$500 available online..
Also small cnc kits for about the same price..
What software is needed ?? Or is it provided ??
Has anyone used any of these small units ?? either laser or cnc ??
Or what other methods are available to personalize items ??
This is NOT for a business, just hobby use…
Recommendations please..

glenn bradley
05-29-2015, 9:38 PM
I don't have room in my shop for CNC or laser gear. I contact another member who does, send the materials to him, and get back wonderfully done work and establish a relationship with another member.

This may not be the solution you're looking for but it has worked out very well for me.

Jerry Miner
05-30-2015, 12:47 AM
I made a cutting board as a wedding gift and took it to a local engraving shop to have the names and date engraved. I think it cost me $15.00

Art Mann
05-30-2015, 12:54 AM
I predict that if you really dig into all the internet offers, you will find that the total cost involved is going to be more than $500. Even if you buy one of those CNC router kits that uses a Dremel tool for a spindle, you are still going to have to buy sufficient software.

The software I used to do the simple inlay on this cutting board was $700 if I remember correctly and it is by no means the most expensive.

Ed Aumiller
05-30-2015, 6:32 AM
Jerry, live in country and no local engraving shop that I know of within 75 miles...
Art, that is what I want to find out.. what is minimum prices involved.. since only for hobby use (i.e. a new toy) want to keep it at $500 or so..
Thanks for replies..

Jerome Stanek
05-30-2015, 7:12 AM
Jerry, live in country and no local engraving shop that I know of within 75 miles...
Art, that is what I want to find out.. what is minimum prices involved.. since only for hobby use (i.e. a new toy) want to keep it at $500 or so..
Thanks for replies..

Is there a mall close by that has a Things Remembered kiosk.

Al Launier
05-30-2015, 7:35 AM
Does branding appeal to you? If so, you could try http://www.brandnew.net/. I have this one & am happy with it ( http://www.brandnew.net/estore/shopexd.asp?id=48 ).

Ed Aumiller
05-30-2015, 11:59 AM
Jerome, nearest mall is over 40 miles... don't know if they have one or not.. never go to malls..
Al, I have a branding iron that works good but want to personalize with their names, etc..

eBay & Amazon have 40w CO2 Lasers for $400- $500...does anyone have one of them ?? wonder how good they work and how reliable they are ???
Cannot link to them due to rules, but do a search on either one for "40w laser" and you will see them..

Keith Outten
05-30-2015, 5:37 PM
Ed,

There are Laser Engraver Members of SawMill Creek who probably live in your area that might be able to help you with your projects. Ashton Waters lives not to far from Harrisonburg and there are others depending on your location, check the Friends of the Creek directory (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php) or post a want ad in the Classifieds Forum.

Let me know if you can't find anyone in your area, I may be able to help you find someone who is local. Most of the low cost laser engravers are generally not considered to be reliable machines based on what I have read in the Laser Engraving Forum so outsourcing might be in your best interest. If you have enough volume a more expensive machine would be the better value.

Ed Aumiller
05-31-2015, 7:36 AM
Keith, will contact Mr. Waters.. located him in Fulks Run, VA.. about 40 miles, but worth it if he can do it.. Thanks, Ed