PDA

View Full Version : My re-toothed panel saw is performing

lowell holmes
05-29-2015, 5:29 PM
I posted a thread recently about renovating an old Disston panel saw with a new handle and re-toothing. It is an eight point saw.

I sharpened the saw with 15 degrees of rake and 20 degrees fleam. I set the teeth with a Disston 42W saw set.
I am working on a lap desk made of old walnut. The saw cuts crosscut smooth with no drift. I needed to make a rip cut and rather than getting a rip saw, I used the panel saw.
I was surprised how smooth and quickly it made the rip cut. There was no drift ripping either. Ron Herman recommended the rake and fleam I used. His video is really really good.
Ron did not recommend using the 15 degrees and 20 degrees to rip, I just tried it.
I now know why the 42W saw set is so popular. I'm surprised nobody making them anymore.

I have sharpened another saw for ripping. It is a 10 point saw. I have 10 degrees of rake on it. It rips with no vice's , but the panel saw is smoother cutting rip and not terribly slow.
I'm considering putting 10 degrees of fleam on the rip saw to see what happens.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Malcolm Schweizer
05-29-2015, 5:45 PM
I can't offer advise, but will be interested to see what you come up with.

I am excited that this weekend I get to use my new saw vise and saw sets. I got the ones from Stu at Tools From Japan; the ones with the magnifying glass. I like them so far, but will know more after this weekend. I also have two Distons coming in the mail from another creeker. Can't wait to try those as well.

Stan Suther
06-17-2015, 7:46 PM
I cleaned up, re-handled and sharpened an old British small tool box size saw (can't remember maker right now), and used a hybrid sharpening- rip with a bit of fleam- and I've been very pleased with it's versatility and speed on many types of cuts. Try it out. It doesn't take much time at that point to back up to a standard pattern.

Ron Bontz
06-17-2015, 11:40 PM
Define "Hybrid" filing. :D:D

Mike Brady
06-18-2015, 9:50 AM
hybrid ("hi-brid") adjective: When used in the context of saw sharpening, refers to a combination of filed rake and fleam angles that renders the saw able to perform either cross cuts or rip cuts (kinda, sorta), but neither operation as well as saws that are made specifically for cutting across or with the grain of the wood. Synonym: compromise.​

Tom M King
06-18-2015, 6:29 PM
Try less rake on the rip saw before you put more fleam on it.

Ron Bontz
06-18-2015, 9:02 PM
hybrid ("hi-brid") adjective: When used in the context of saw sharpening, refers to a combination of filed rake and fleam angles that renders the saw able to perform either cross cuts or rip cuts (kinda, sorta), but neither operation as well as saws that are made specifically for cutting across or with the grain of the wood. Synonym: compromise.​

Indeed. ;)