PDA

View Full Version : How to find a Professional Finisher?

Andrew Ulsher
05-29-2015, 8:20 AM
Any tips on what to look for? Call Cabinet shops or refinishing shops?

Any recommendations for anyone in the San Antonio or Austin area?

Gary Muto
05-29-2015, 6:32 PM
Andrew,

I just a started a Furniture Medic Franchise in April. I'm listed under Furniture Repair, cabinet and Furniture refinishing. You can try searching with those words, I think Furniture repair would be the most appropriate. You can go to Furniture Medic dot com and it should list the closest franchise for you. I just checked and two came up for San Antonio. I don't want to violate any TOS or I would provide links.

Bill White
05-31-2015, 12:51 PM
Just be careful. There are some who think that slapping a coat of polycrapithane on wood is finishing. :((
Bill

Brian W Smith
06-01-2015, 8:09 AM
Be very careful of the born-on-dates on the polycrapithane....it gets real ugly when old.

Andrew Ulsher
06-01-2015, 2:02 PM
Any tips on what to look for when reviewing a finishers work?

Prashun Patel
06-01-2015, 2:11 PM
What are you trying to refinish? There are potentially many steps in the process including some or all of the following: stripping, sanding, re-coloring, sealing, toning, glazing, topcoating.

If your refinisher doesn't know what each of these are (and you should educate yourself beforehand) I'd go somewhere that does.

Depending on the durability required, you should be critical about the topcoat they will use.

If the wood you are refinishing is blotch prone, then ask them how they will control the color so it does not blotch.

Ask for references of course.

Most refinishers will have sample boards and detail their process and each step.

If your refinisher is patient with all these questions, it's a good sign...

Around me, there are some higher end furniture shops that make some of their own casegoods or tables/chairs that do refinishing on the side.

Andrew Ulsher
06-02-2015, 5:58 PM
As I dive into nicer woods for furniture I'm debating about paying someone to finish rather than do it myself. I read some where that a finisher is a bit different than someone that refinishes.

I enjoy building and designing more than finishing, but a lot of depends on the extra cost of paying someone to finish or doing it myself.