PDA

View Full Version : Whatisit?

Bruce Page
05-27-2015, 11:31 PM
What is the small saw in the middle? I have not seen one like it before.

Peter Pedisich
05-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Saw with depth stop? maybe for dados or tenons

What is the small saw in the middle? I have not seen one like it before.

Jim Koepke
05-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Looks like a Bishop #10.

In a hurry, will post more later.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
05-28-2015, 12:20 AM
Was it not used to cut notches for stringers on stairs? I have something similar, just not a backsaw.

Joe Bailey
05-28-2015, 12:52 AM
Jim has nailed it.

Go have a look here (http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters/Woodworking/1/4/patents.htm)

Mark Stutz
05-28-2015, 8:12 AM
Mine is indeed filed rip on one side and crosscut on the other. It works very well for cutting dadoes. Not really needed as any backsaw will do the same, but the depth stop is a nice feature.

Jim Koepke
05-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Mine is indeed filed rip on one side and crosscut on the other. It works very well for cutting dadoes. Not really needed as any backsaw will do the same, but the depth stop is a nice feature.

+1 on what Mark said.

One of my projects had a lot of dove tails. The depth stop back was nice indeed on that job.

It is a good idea to have a block of wood to check the back to ensure it doesn't slip.

Bruce, is there any etch left on the blade?

jtk

Bruce Page
05-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info, the link Joe provided was an interesting read.

Jim, I pulled the pic off our local CL. Some guy is selling a bunch of saws and this one looked interesting.

Jim Koepke
05-28-2015, 2:04 PM
Jim, I pulled the pic off our local CL. Some guy is selling a bunch of saws and this one looked interesting.

I haven't tracked the price of late. When mine was bought they were going on ebay for a minimum of about $35. Some would go for as much as $300. Condition is everything.

This one looks to be missing the back pin that holds the bar. Mine has a shop made replacement. The pin doesn't go through the handle. Some folks just drill through and install a bolt.

Mine was made from and old broken saw medallion.

jtk

Moses Yoder
05-29-2015, 6:44 PM
I have one like that, have never used it, search for Bishop on ebay and you should find one. The 2nd from top, 3rd from top, and bottom saws in that pic are nice saws.