PDA

View Full Version : What is it? Or, how do you make use of this (tool?)?

David Ragan
05-27-2015, 8:23 PM
Does anybody know what good the little item is in the bottom of the picture? The metal thinga-ma-jig?

It wound up in my shopping bag last weekend....on sale......$8.

Pat Barry
05-27-2015, 8:26 PM
Just a guess - inside angle gauge?

Lee Schierer
05-27-2015, 8:27 PM
It is for measuring angles on machined work. They also come in sets like this 314479

Jim Matthews
05-28-2015, 7:08 AM
Lemme get this straight - you bought a tool with an unknown purpose?

mike holden
05-28-2015, 11:13 AM

The rule I was taught is: If you see it, and you don't have it, you NEED it!

Mike

Prashun Patel
05-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Is this a trick question?
It appears to be an angle-setting gauge. You can set up your tools or jigs with it. It's clever in the sense that the angles are pre-set so they're probably good for calibration tasks, yet don't take up much space. The only downside is that they are small.

Tom Walz
05-28-2015, 1:59 PM
Heck yes, you can buy tools just because they are cool.

Erik Christensen
05-28-2015, 2:21 PM
the one who dies with the most tools... wins. were I to limit myself to only tools I know how to use I would not stand a chance.

ken masoumi
05-28-2015, 2:22 PM
The rule I was taught is: If you see it, and you don't have it, you NEED it!

Mike
And the best part is, after a few months when you totally forget what you've bought you open a box or a drawer, you see the tool and ask yourself: when did buy this?

Mike Cutler
05-28-2015, 2:56 PM
David

http://www.kristeel.com/modelag.php

I would have bought it in a minute, but I knew what it was. It can be a very valuable tool.
You did pretty darn good for a blind purchase.;)

David Ragan
05-29-2015, 1:09 PM

Yes.

HOw it happened was that I perused the Highland WW site before going down there, for sale items.

It was an angle gauge on sale for $8. I thought it was a thread pitch gauge.

When I got to HWW, Sidney-whom I have known forever, I just gave him my list to round up all the stuff I wanted. He was happy to do it. My knee was bothering me.

I didn't look it over on way to cash register cause I was on my way to the Bathurst Estate.

that;s the truth.:rolleyes:

Kyle Iwamoto
05-29-2015, 1:53 PM
I have a whole toolbox (cabinet, middle and top) with tools I don't use........ Am I missing the initial questrion?

Rick Potter
05-29-2015, 3:07 PM
The worst part is when your wife see's a tool like that and asks YOU what it is for. You better have an answer, my wife already knows what a left handed blivet hook is.

David Ragan
05-29-2015, 3:45 PM
We occasionally have an event at our house-I announce "it's a first use tool day!"
of course, a happy occasion that a tool has been in fact used (purchased months/years before) for the first time

Curt Stivison
05-29-2015, 8:26 PM
It's really bad when you forget you have it and 6 months later you buy another one because you don't remember you have one.
Curt

Mark Blatter
05-29-2015, 10:26 PM
It's really bad when you forget you have it and 6 months later you buy another one because you don't remember you have one.
Curt

I received, at my request, a set of woodworking books once. Then a few years later I was looking at a catalog and saw a book that looked really interesting. I suggest to the wife that it was something someone could get me as a present for Christmas, which was coming up. They did and I browsed through it, then put it on the shelf. Yep, you guessed it, that is when I realized I now owned two copies of the same book.

My wife still shakes her head on that one.

David Ragan
05-30-2015, 5:00 AM
I received, at my request, a set of woodworking books once. Then a few years later I was looking at a catalog and saw a book that looked really interesting. I suggest to the wife that it was something someone could get me as a present for Christmas, which was coming up. They did and I browsed through it, then put it on the shelf. Yep, you guessed it, that is when I realized I now owned two copies of the same book.

My wife still shakes her head on that one.

I lost count how many times that has happened to me with books. My friend Barry has a decent library on that account.

Rich Engelhardt
05-30-2015, 7:21 AM
Everyone needs at least a half dozen tools they don't know how to use or what the tools are actually used for.

Isn't that where 90% of the worlds paper weights and door stops come from?
;) :D...

Heck there's some tools you need simply because they sound so cool.Who cares if you have a use for it or not, or even have a clue what it does?

Like a Lion Trimmer - - how cool is that?

(P.S. - let's see how many people plug that into google to see what it is and what it does ;) )

Larry Edgerton
05-30-2015, 7:44 AM
I have a Lion trimmer!

I do very much prefer my Lions neatly trimmed............

Bradley Gray
05-30-2015, 8:26 AM
Now all you need is a Lion holder....

Rick Potter
05-30-2015, 1:18 PM
Don't think a lion would like his toenails trimmed on one of those. Haven't seen one in years.

Von Bickley
05-30-2015, 1:37 PM
For $8.00, I would have bought it to......

Mike Schnorr
05-30-2015, 4:18 PM
I own a Lion and I use it a lot...

Dan Hintz
05-30-2015, 4:57 PM
Curt

I'm the proud owner of 3 holesaw sets, two by the same manufacturer. I can see a second one being purchased while having a blonde moment, but three? <sigh>

David Ragan
05-30-2015, 6:27 PM
Everyone needs at least a half dozen tools they don't know how to use or what the tools are actually used for.

Isn't that where 90% of the worlds paper weights and door stops come from?
;) :D...

Heck there's some tools you need simply because they sound so cool.Who cares if you have a use for it or not, or even have a clue what it does?

Like a Lion Trimmer - - how cool is that?

(P.S. - let's see how many people plug that into google to see what it is and what it does ;) )

Rick, that is too cool there. I have had one for years. It was so heavy and so neat looking I had to have it. Cost me $200 @ WC when I first started WW. I think it is a Taiwan knock-off. But, I got it out last weekend and trimmed some scrap...man-what a beast! I mean if you can force the super sharp blade through, it cuts end grain clean as a whistle, as thick as you like (lots of force required for anything beyond a shaving).

No- I have not used it for a miter at all. Or for anything else, but I have it-that is what counts, right?:rolleyes:

David Ragan
05-30-2015, 6:33 PM
For $8.00, I would have bought it to......

Exactly! I have to keep an eye out for when I might be able to use it.

Went do to Highland WW again today, and took two things back but not the $8 angle gauge

OK-no, did not take back anything useful even remotely......Sidney gave me the wrong plane blade, and I could not think of anything to use if for ($40); the second thing was a small diamond file set-one of two. That is a duplicate-was going to get the second set, the fine one, but since I had oodles of files/rifflers/rasps that are never used, I just took it back.

do tools have separation anxiety? Fear of abandonment?

Todd Burch
05-30-2015, 7:21 PM
I guess I'm a few years ahead of all you folks. I'm now in the downsizing mode, selling off items I've never used, or have 2, 3, 4 or 5 of, or I've been stepping over for too long.

Yes, I too have duplicate book titles. Books are a hole other downsizing effort to attack - someday.

It would be overwhelming if I tried to do it all at once. I'm thinking it might take six or seven months, and many, many trips to the post office.

Harold Burrell
05-31-2015, 5:25 AM
And the best part is, after a few months when you totally forget what you've bought you open a box or a drawer, you see the tool and ask yourself: when did buy this?

Or...even better...when you get a little older, you will open that drawer and see that tool and say, "Oh wow, cool! I've been wanting one of these! I wonder what it's for?"

Kent Adams
05-31-2015, 5:56 AM
The worst part is when your wife see's a tool like that and asks YOU what it is for. You better have an answer, my wife already knows what a left handed blivet hook is.

Haha! How true that is in my home.